My advice for undergrads/new grads (long read).

Wow! Been a while since I revisited the thread.

THIS. Be willing to make sacrifices to get your foot in the door.

After graduation, I quit a comfy job at a boutique i-bank in NYC (I reside in Brooklyn) in order to drive ~100 miles roundtrip everyday to get an opportunity to work at a bulge bracket. Although the role wasn't what I wanted, I knew if I played my cards right I would be able to move laterally within the bank. 9 months into the job, I was let go due to budget cuts. Fortunately I was able to parlay my experiences there and had 4 offers within a month. I'm now back in NYC at a better bulge bracket bank and in a role I love.

Interviews: Never reject an interview because the job isn't what you're looking for. The more interviews you go on, the better you'll get at selling yourself. I always approach interviews like I'm trying to pick up yambz. You need to gauge their temperament and figure out what they are looking for in a candidate. Always take notes, ask questions and turn it into a conversation instead of an interrogation. Once you work out the kinks in your game and figure out what they want to hear, every interview will be cakewalk.
I truly agree with you, my friend. I love interviews. They are great for making you more comfortable at coming with answers on the spot. After several of them, you learn how to answer and talk calmly and don't appear to be nervous, which can be used in many other aspects of your job, ie training a large party or giving out presentations.

I got to a small D1

I work(22-26 hours a week),
I run track(Monday - Thursday morning + afternoon practice. Friday - afternoon practice, Saturday - morning practice. Sunday = off )
and I go to school full time(15 hrs) and I hang out with my friends. All is possible guys!! Good luck. Follow your dreams and your heart. Great thread
I loved that busy college life. You can also carry this principle beyond college if you really lean out your schedule. Have fun in school :smile:

Back
Top Bottom