My advice for undergrads/new grads (long read).

Does someone who graduates in 4 years have an advantage over someone who graduates in 6 years if they both have the same gpa? How important is gpa when trying to get an internship? I had a horrible freshman year at a previous CSU university that will haunt my gpa forever, it was a couple years ago and since then I've turned it around but it's very discouraging when looking for internships. Now I'm attending a different CSU. 

Question for wj4:

After interviewing for a job, is a follow up/thank you email important? If so, how long should I wait before sending the email? I'm going to be a college sophomore in the fall and the only jobs I've had are retail ones and by the end of the interview, I either knew i was getting the job or they called me next day so I never actually needed to do some sort of thank you email.

This is an excellent thread.  I'm 31 and just began school again after a 13 year layoff and there is some pertinent information in this thread.  Thanks to the OP for posting this.

Originally Posted by kEnn E

Hey wisith, always knew you were pretty smart, anyways here's advice since we joined the same time and were the same age, this goes to everyone.

In regards to opening a business, everyone that's telling you to be your own boss and dreams of independence and own hours, all that is bull when it comes to starting/running a business. The whole work whenever I want is a pipe dream and chances are If you are starting your own business, your gonna work 55-75 hours a week minimum, for the first couple years if your lucky, most business owners don't get to rest until 15 years in the business. And even if your cool working those hours, even when your not working your still working because that's all your mind will be preoccupied with. How to increase sales and expand my business. So you sell your life for the business in many aspects. They shouldn't call it starting your own business, it's more like your buying yourself a job. So like you stated earlier, don't do it for the money, do it because you love it. I opened 2 businesses of my own and during the first one realized quickly all I did was buy myself a job, It didn't feel like I had my own business, even though its mine. I've been blessed to know the right people and being a quick study which made it easier to be successful, but Its still hard work. Matter of fact, knowledge and skill is half the battle, the other half is your communication skills and how well you can hook yourself up with the right people and the skill to be able to see and know who the right people are. Sometimes I feel like the only benefits are the tax write-offs and being able to say you own a business to people, but I don't care about the latter because when your successful you gotta stay below the radar if you want to remain so. Those who attained real success will know what I'm talking about, those who don't hopefully one day you will. Give me a choice of a comfy 6 figure job 40 hour week with benefits over making more money owning my own business anyday, at this point in my life at least, cuz at least I'll get to genuinely enjoy my time and money and family. I'm 24 joined nt when I was 13. Started my first business at 21 with money I saved. No help from any family.

Hit me up sometime wis we can probably pick each others brains, I'm in west hills often.
This.  I haven't been blessed with the time or ability to carve out formal school, post HS..but have been extremely lucky in my ability to communicate and network in the right circles.  It's crazy coming back on here, and seeing so many familiar names
pimp.gif
  kEnn E, good to see that you're doing well man.  I am in you're exact position as far as family, don't know my dad, mom was a tweaker, so I appreciate where you're coming from on that self made tip too
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by damn its me

Originally Posted by kEnn E

Hey wisith, always knew you were pretty smart, anyways here's advice since we joined the same time and were the same age, this goes to everyone.

In regards to opening a business, everyone that's telling you to be your own boss and dreams of independence and own hours, all that is bull when it comes to starting/running a business. The whole work whenever I want is a pipe dream and chances are If you are starting your own business, your gonna work 55-75 hours a week minimum, for the first couple years if your lucky, most business owners don't get to rest until 15 years in the business. And even if your cool working those hours, even when your not working your still working because that's all your mind will be preoccupied with. How to increase sales and expand my business. So you sell your life for the business in many aspects. They shouldn't call it starting your own business, it's more like your buying yourself a job. So like you stated earlier, don't do it for the money, do it because you love it. I opened 2 businesses of my own and during the first one realized quickly all I did was buy myself a job, It didn't feel like I had my own business, even though its mine. I've been blessed to know the right people and being a quick study which made it easier to be successful, but Its still hard work. Matter of fact, knowledge and skill is half the battle, the other half is your communication skills and how well you can hook yourself up with the right people and the skill to be able to see and know who the right people are. Sometimes I feel like the only benefits are the tax write-offs and being able to say you own a business to people, but I don't care about the latter because when your successful you gotta stay below the radar if you want to remain so. Those who attained real success will know what I'm talking about, those who don't hopefully one day you will. Give me a choice of a comfy 6 figure job 40 hour week with benefits over making more money owning my own business anyday, at this point in my life at least, cuz at least I'll get to genuinely enjoy my time and money and family. I'm 24 joined nt when I was 13. Started my first business at 21 with money I saved. No help from any family.

Hit me up sometime wis we can probably pick each others brains, I'm in west hills often.
This.  I haven't been blessed with the time or ability to carve out formal school, post HS..but have been extremely lucky in my ability to communicate and network in the right circles.  It's crazy coming back on here, and seeing so many familiar names
pimp.gif
  kEnn E, good to see that you're doing well man.  I am in you're exact position as far as family, don't know my dad, mom was a tweaker, so I appreciate where you're coming from on that self made tip too
glasses.gif

Networking is everything.  Damn its me is the testament of that

It definitely feels weird coming on here again.  I remember I had to saved my $10s and 20s to buy those Nikes and Jordans.  I'm not the most affluent person outt here, but it feels good to be able to spend a couple of grand without thinking much now.

I will answer the questions later tonight after the gym.  

I have a couple questions.. For example say i'm applying to jobs on craigslist and most of a lot of them don't specify how to contact them. I usually send an email stating my interest in the position as well as my resume attached. Is there proper or certain way to contact those employers when applying to craigslist for example?

And another question is, one of my professor said it is also good to send examples of work or rewards etc. for example say if i had gotten my name in my school's paper for creating something, would it be beneficial to include that or is it irrelevant?

I think Op already touched this issue but keep conversations with coworkers basic. They're some you may come to trust but still watch what you say and do. At my current job that I'm leaving, I've noticed some all pro brown nosing. Some of these people will hang you for Brownie points .

Originally Posted by bkzkurse

Hi Guys
I made a new thread for this but no one was responding 
ohwell.gif
 so I apologize for the redundancy but I could really use some advice.

Please provide me some guidance - I thank you for your time

Background info:
24 years old - have an employer 401k - along with a separate IRA

$5,000 in Credit Card Debt (lets call it the Sins of College Spending)

I also have $5,000 in my IRA (divided into a few mutual funds that are no load/no transaction fee - Fidelity)

I spend around $500 a month to pay off my debt but I'm applying for Grad school soon - and will most likely need to apply for student loans - I don't have a large credit capacity and my only 2 cards are maxed out - I already make consistent timely payments on my prior student loans

I keep hearing 50/50 on the matter

" IRA is my retirement pot - NEVER touch this or you will eat dog food when your 65"

"Credit Card Debt is 3x the interest of a regular 5-8% returning portfolio - Pay Debt - No brainer"

I ask you NT because I'm sure many of you are closer to my age group then most online advice columns (usually reserved for people in 50s with MASSIVE debt)

Help????? 

Thank you and have a great day 
happy.gif
Sorry, man.  I want to help you out, but I'm not qualified to do so and I don't want to give bad advices.  I would seek out professional advice personally.  Is there a reason you're rushing to go to grad school instead of paying your debt off first?

good to see you posting again, remember you from the early 00's, had a few conversations in random threads.

Originally Posted by KlassSickFresh 87

Does someone who graduates in 4 years have an advantage over someone who graduates in 6 years if they both have the same gpa? How important is gpa when trying to get an internship? I had a horrible freshman year at a previous CSU university that will haunt my gpa forever, it was a couple years ago and since then I've turned it around but it's very discouraging when looking for internships. Now I'm attending a different CSU. 
I got my BS and MS from a CSU as well.  To answer your first question...no, assuming they have the same amount of experience.  In the real world, stuff comes up and people know that.  Sometimes you have to take time off from school to handle your situation.  It took me 6 years to get my BS and I never got questioned on the extra years needed to obtain the degree.  GPA is pretty important for a highly competitive internship because at that point, that's all you have.  But I never let that deterred me from applying.  If they want a 3.8 GPA, and I have a 3.2 GPA...I know my chances are slim, but I'm going to try for it anyway.  If I don't apply, I already know I have 0% of getting in.  By applying, I may have a small chance, but anything is better than 0%.

This reminds me...when you apply for jobs...apply to jobs relevant to your field, even if they want more years of experience than you have.  There will almost be no jobs out there that say "hey we want 0 year of experience."  It's a bargaining tool, more or less.  They may want 5 years of experience, but if you have 3 and you seem highly qualified, chances are you will get the job.  If they pass you up, who knows then the dream candidate will apply.  It can be a day or a year.  Firms want to fill positions ASAP with coherent individuals.

Originally Posted by killahcam06

I have a couple questions.. For example say i'm applying to jobs on craigslist and most of a lot of them don't specify how to contact them. I usually send an email stating my interest in the position as well as my resume attached. Is there proper or certain way to contact those employers when applying to craigslist for example?

And another question is, one of my professor said it is also good to send examples of work or rewards etc. for example say if i had gotten my name in my school's paper for creating something, would it be beneficial to include that or is it irrelevant?
I've never applied to jobs on Craigslist before, but I've seen a few.  Some will say "only send emails" or "call to inquire more".  Follow directions if they are given.  If not, then I would email, and give a call a week later to follow up.  Email is a lot more professional because they can respond when they can.  With calls...you may call at the wrong time and get on their bad side, especially if it's a personal number.

The latter question:  Sure, that sounds good for a lower ranking job.  This is why those with no experience put everything they can to show they are competent, ie was a secretary in a frat, GPA of 3.9, etc.

Originally Posted by SoleAsian

Question for wj4:

After interviewing for a job, is a follow up/thank you email important? If so, how long should I wait before sending the email? I'm going to be a college sophomore in the fall and the only jobs I've had are retail ones and by the end of the interview, I either knew i was getting the job or they called me next day so I never actually needed to do some sort of thank you email.
Absolutely.  I went through 7 rounds of interviews for the current job I have.  I was actually running out of sick days to use to come to them.  It took about 2 months for me to get hired from the initial process.  I got interviewed by a lot of people.  They just want to make sure I would mesh well with the firm.  About after a week of the interview (5 business days is what I prefer to wait), I would give a follow up call.  I said something like "Hello, this is wj4 calling to see if there is anything else I can do on my part.  I had an interview on xx-xx-2012.  I want to thank you for the opportunity, and please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help.  Thank you."

Originally Posted by presequel

good to see you posting again, remember you from the early 00's, had a few conversations in random threads.
This and the dressing better thread at the only two I'm in.  Hope you are well, my friend.  I believe you have/had an RX8, but I can't recall for certain.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by killahcam06

I've never applied to jobs on Craigslist before, but I've seen a few.  Some will say "only send emails" or "call to inquire more".  Follow directions if they are given.  If not, then I would email, and give a call a week later to follow up.  Email is a lot more professional because they can respond when they can.  With calls...you may call at the wrong time and get on their bad side, especially if it's a personal number.

The latter question:  Sure, that sounds good for a lower ranking job.  This is why those with no experience put everything they can to show they are competent, ie was a secretary in a frat, GPA of 3.9, etc.
Thanks for answering my questions. Much appreciated! 

I have a couple of questions for you wj4 .......

How did you joggle school work ,working and girls ???

And how important is your gpa for getting a job ?

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

I have a couple of questions for you wj4 .......

How did you joggle school work ,working and girls ???

And how important is your gpa for getting a job ?

Are you talking about now or when I was an undergrad?

When I was an undergrad, it was not that hard.  I worked part time at Circuit City (RIP), went to school full time, and hung out with girls and my friends during my free time.  I only worked 15-20 hours a week back then.  I would be out shooting pool with my friends almost weekly on Friday or Saturday nights.  And since I would have random nights off, seeing girls was easy too.

Now, it's difficult because of the lack of time I have.  I also raised my standards by a lot in terms of what I'm looking for.  When I was younger...all I cared about was how good looking a chick is.  I'm 26, will turn 27 soon, I stopped the casual dating thing.  I have a lot of female friends who are attractive, but I don't want to date them because I doubt it will go anywhere serious.  I'm looking for properties that are similar to myself.  I have a friend who I talk to quite often.  She is similar to me in terms of being focused.  She's about to start her own company and is networking her butt off.  We are both busy so we plan out our dates 3+ weeks in advance, kinda sad, but that's the truth, haha.  And a date is like a quick coffee meet that we can spare a couple of hours.  

My GPA was irrelevant to my first job.  I was already in my master's program when I landed that job.  You need a 3.0 GPA at least to prevent from getting dropped in a master's program.  It was just a regular job that paid ~$50,000/year.  It was not a highly sought after job that was paying $100k+ or anything.

There were a few jobs I applied to that I never heard back though.  There were places like Toyota Corporate that wanted 3.5 GPA or higher for their entry positions.  I applied and nada. 

I have an upcoming interview with a marketing research firm. I was told there is a skills test before the interview where there is a math and proofreading section. WJ4 or anyone else  familiar with these skills tests care to share their experience, specifically the math portion? 

Originally Posted by picknroll24

I have an upcoming interview with a marketing research firm. I was told there is a skills test before the interview where there is a math and proofreading section. WJ4 or anyone else  familiar with these skills tests care to share their experience, specifically the math portion? 
Are you applying for an analyst position?  Even so, you would use a computer to do run your data.  You can put parameters in, do your 1 tail/2 tail, etc. on there.  I highly doubt they will ask you to do that.  They might ask you scenario questions, ie GMAT or GRE, and want to see how you think.  A lot of companies do that, just to see how you take a question in and break it down.  Remembering equations and doing it by hand is a waste of time.  You can spend an hour doing equations, looking at your z score table, etc. while Excel can spit that out in a few mins.  I doubt this is what they are looking for.

I would just go over basic algebra stuff, and would not sweat much. Make sure know how to set up equations and be able to justify your answer.  Good luck!

Ill day this. Told my little brother and his friends when they went off to college.

Have a good time, it's college.

Work your *** off..

I worked 40+ a week while taking 20+ hours a semester...I had a moutha******g blast; ain't get the best grades but hey, I'm in my second year of lawschool, couldn't have done that bad.

Some work, some play...ain't no damn reason you can't do both.

Don't take life that seriously, more smiles than frowns, ups and downs always come around.

It's your life...do something with it...

Entering the job market:  Be humble, and be hungry.  A lot of newly graduates think they are automatically entitled to good jobs.  I see a lot of newly grads that say something like "I want to have a job with great benefits, pay at least this much per year, and it has to be within 20 miles of my house."  Guess what...aside from your degree, you have nothing to offer.  If you need to drive farther than you would prefer, or work odd shifts to get a job in your field...do it.  Do the job to the best of your ability and take nothing for granted, even if the job may not pay as much as you want.

THIS. Be willing to make sacrifices to get your foot in the door.

After graduation, I quit a comfy job at a boutique i-bank in NYC (I reside in Brooklyn) in order to drive ~100 miles roundtrip everyday to get an opportunity to work at a bulge bracket. Although the role wasn't what I wanted, I knew if I played my cards right I would be able to move laterally within the bank. 9 months into the job, I was let go due to budget cuts. Fortunately I was able to parlay my experiences there and had 4 offers within a month. I'm now back in NYC at a better bulge bracket bank and in a role I love.

Interviews: Never reject an interview because the job isn't what you're looking for. The more interviews you go on, the better you'll get at selling yourself. I always approach interviews like I'm trying to pick up yambz. You need to gauge their temperament and figure out what they are looking for in a candidate. Always take notes, ask questions and turn it into a conversation instead of an interrogation. Once you work out the kinks in your game and figure out what they want to hear, every interview will be cakewalk.

I got to a small D1

I work(22-26 hours a week),
I run track(Monday - Thursday morning + afternoon practice. Friday - afternoon practice, Saturday - morning practice. Sunday = off )
and I go to school full time(15 hrs) and I hang out with my friends. All is possible guys!! Good luck. Follow your dreams and your heart. Great thread

Back
Top Bottom