Niketalk with ads on the side?

Bruh 

sick.gif
sick.gif

I don't mind it when I'm on the top of the page, but when I scroll down it is just two white bars. 

It bothers me, like people who don't know how to record videos with their cellphones. 

Huddler sold a "takeover" campaign that lasts a couple of days.  It's not a permanent part of the site.  

In a perfect world, NikeTalk would feature no advertising whatsoever and we'd still somehow have money to donate to charity and keep the lights on.  We all know that's not possible.  

We also know that there are a lot of selfish people out there who prefer to steal the site by stripping out the ads used to pay for it.  Thanks to them, pressure mounts to try something like this and see how it performs.  

Takeover ads are just a fact of life in 2013.  We've had ONE on NT since migrating to Huddler, but you'll see them regularly on countless major websites and on most sneaker websites (or at least those in the Complex network.)  

In fact, many sites are running a far narrower content band than NT to make room for even larger takeover ads, and to ensure that takeover ads display properly in lower resolutions.  Compare the front page to the forum pages. 

I think it's fair to say that we're doing better than most, and this is NOT something that's going to be a permanent fixture.  IF it performs well, you might see the OCCASIONAL takeover campaign appear to help us out.  

We're dealing with a highly seasonal business.  The reality is that, when the winds are strong, we need to catch as much of it with our sails as possible to carry us forward during the lean months.  We just announced an $11,000 donation to the American Indian College Fund.  We've committed to matching everything donated to our Haiyan fundraiser page.  We always like to do a big holiday donation around our anniversary.  

So let's not act like the minor inconvenience of dealing with white borders for one weekend has no benefit to the community.  A great community does great things.  The concept of NikeTalk is to be better together than we are separately.  When we all get together, we become better informed, we laugh more, and we can accomplish great things.  Thousands of people tolerating white borders for ONE weekend could help us accomplish something remarkable.  Disaster relief, scholarships, cleft palate operations, building schools and libraries... these things have the potential to change lives and address REAL problems.  

And we're here talkin' about website borders, man.  Not the page.  Not the PAGE.  We're talking about borders. 

The campaign's scheduled to run through the weekend.  If you want to take a break and rejoin us when they're gone, we'll look forward to seeing you again on Monday.  For those who CHOOSE to let them load for the community's benefit and for the benefit of the organizations we try to support through our community donations - THANK YOU.  NikeTalk couldn't exist without you.

The main thing blowing mine at this point is the fact that I can't see a video fully anymore no matter how I zoom in or out. If it's just for the weekend, it is what it is though.

Thank god this will only be periodic and not permanent. Real eye sore. Thanks for the heads up though meth

The main thing blowing mine at this point is the fact that I can't see a video fully anymore no matter how I zoom in or out. If it's just for the weekend, it is what it is though.
I suspect that's a resolution issue.  We've heard that complaint before, and I think the reason for it is because the people who test this stuff all have elaborate "retina" displays and may not be spending enough time attempting to view the site like the rest of us 99%ers. 

What resolution are you using when you encounter the video cutoff issue?

I'll give you another example:  at 1920x1080, the ad doesn't even look right in page/forum view (the logos overlap) - and that's a common, high definition resolution. 

It's not perfect, but these are the sorts of things they're going to learn from the test. 

I appreciate everyone's patience.
we should just over advertise on the JB/Nike forums
laugh.gif

pop ups, pop ups everywhere
We already do serve more ads to logged out users than logged in users.  Try viewing the site while logged out sometime.  

We do our best to maximize the revenue from those who just pop in from search engines to read one page and leave and minimize the impact of advertising on our fellow members.

That said, we need to allow Huddler to experiment with different ad types so we can make an informed decision regarding the best possible combination of ads.  At users' behest, we've dramatically reduced the number of "hover over" ads that were so ubiquitous this spring.  

The feedback we always get from users is that the ads need to be relevant.  Six months ago, Huddler was running video ads for women's cosmetic products in here.  Today, we have an ad up for a company that many NikeTalk members have voluntarily posted about in this very forum.  We regularly see users post about sales on Karmaloop.  That's what this ad is essentially doing.  

They made the borders white, I'm sure, because that's what would give it the most impact.  Again, it's NOT a permanent change.  It's a way to get the ad noticed while it's up.  Then it goes away and everything returns to normal.  It's just one weekend.

It's about balance.  Running something like this once every couple of months could potentially be worth the same as running a video ad all the time.  The day to day stuff could be less annoying and there's less pressure to put an ad in between posts (as is common on other forums), etc. etc.  To figure out what works and what doesn't, we have to try it.  And this is the trial for a takeover ad.  

Fair enough? 

And we're here talkin' about website borders, man.  Not the page.  Not the PAGE.  We're talking about borders. 
Is that you???

can we ban people who say this :lol:

i mean, if it's dead you won't miss it right?

the sad part is i dont with it to go down the drain
but this banner is too much

just read method mans post thank goodness its only temporary

Last edited:

I suspect that's a resolution issue.  We've heard that complaint before, and I think the reason for it is because the people who test this stuff all have elaborate "retina" displays and may not be spending enough time attempting to view the site like the rest of us 99%ers. 

What resolution are you using when you encounter the video cutoff issue?

Is that you???
laugh.gif

The video cut off always happens too me. Its only about 1/4 of the screen, but I just click the link and watch it on Youtube. ect. 

i'm in advertising, the white borders are called a sponsorship hub and for 4 days at my company a brand will pay anywhere from 15k to 30k depending on day/season etc.

meth - just don't get into native ads will be confusing everyone left and right lol / what network or publisher do you deal with if you don't mind me asking

Back
Top Bottom