NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I've been way out of it since my last post. I hit up a local beerfest on Saturday (less about sampling. More about pint purchases.. 4 pint limit). I went with a la cumbre saison, bosque ipa, 2nd street ESB, and 2nd street whiskey barrel aged imperial stout.

I also took a bomber of oak aged yeti to a birthday party to share. Very woody and oaky tasting. Some slight fruit notes. Overall a top tier product. But a bit forgettable.. I'm trying to look through past posts here. Some of you guys said it seemed off or something. Anyone remember specifically? With great ISs being all around, it's one to taste every once in awhile. But probably not seek out too hard.

I've missed the latest product dank on purpose, instead picking up elevated 4 packs.. Refrigerator has two drinkable bombers left (regular yeti and some marble reserve ale, which is becoming a true favorite of mine. The rest of the cache is being saved for a later time), some elevated, and Dos Equis. It's been so hot here that I mostly want something that pretty much tastes like water. A light buzz and a quick drink of Dos XX does that trick. I dont want to waste gulping drinks on something that has depth. So for me personally, that perfect combo is some elevated ipa and dos equis thrown around in there. Am I the only one drinking world class beer side by side with "junk"?

Wow. I didn't think I'd see such a big difference in taste among a oak aged yeti, and a regular yeti. Both bottled early 2014. Oak aged seem to be sweeter, less boozy, with a solid roastiness balance, and on top of that, some oak wood character. I caught almost zero over the top hop/bitterness flavor. Regular yeti seems way too boozy, quite hop bitterness abrasive, and one dimensional. I taste the roasted flavors which I love. But this untamed bitterness (75 IBU apparently) is crazy and creates quite a clashing of flavors. I drank half about 4 hours ago, and finished up the other half about an hour ago. It tastes hot, and never quite settles down with any sweetness. All I taste is bitter roasted malts. It's odd for sure and a near drain pour.. What went wrong?

The mouthfeel is crisp and dry. No true off flavors. but this hop bitterness is by far the hoppinest stout I have ever had. It's more of a 85-87 for me on BA compared with the norm. So maybe something went wrong with the bottle?

Last edited:
12 pack beer camp variety packs have released in the past around all retailers that normally get Sierra Nevada.. Since this is done through them, I see no reason why the entire nation shouldnt get their chance at trying these beers.

Then again, the past beer camp variety packs were not really done through verified breweries. so who knows

reference: 2012 beer camp http://beerpulse.com/2012/06/sierra-nevada-beer-camp-series-variety-pack-beers-revealed/

Really thinking about hitting this up:

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/

Going to get a sneak peek first to see if it'll be worth my time. My local bar will be tapping all 12 brews July 2nd.
Damn how do you get that 12 pack?
I'm asking myself the same thing.  Hell...the only ones I want are the Sierra/3 Floyds Pale Ale and the Sierra/Ballast Point IPL, but those two alone are worth the 10 extra beers.

Ah dernit...I have six reviews for you guys but NT is being slow for me right now.  Expect them tomorrow.

Okay...review time:

Against the Grain- Rico Sauvin:  This one was given to me as an extra in a trade on BeerAdvocate.  It's an IPA brewed exclusively with Nelson Sauvin hops.  Apparently Nelson hops are one of the most expensive hop varieties, and this bottle can go for $15+.  Generous folks over on BeerAdvocate, I tell ya.  Taste and aroma on this one is mostly fruity.  Not really citrus, per-se, but fruity/juicy.  If anything, I'm picking up a lot of white grape flavor.  Some floral notes, but not much.  No pine/resin on this at all.  Can't remember the ABV, but I'm thinking it was around 7%.  Regardless, no real booziness to pick up on this one.  Would I buy another bottle of this? Sure, but I wouldn't make a habit of it due to the price.  Great beer regardless. 9.3/10

Blue Point- No Apologies Double IPA:  Given to me as a birthday gift from my stepdad.  Split the bottle with him.  Aroma on this was boozy, fruity, some pine, and somewhat medicinal.  Taste was pungent with matching flavors, though it was a little more medicinal than the nose would suggest. Not much citrus, really.  The 10% ABV wasn't surprising on this one. Decent. 8.6/10

Free State- Stormchaser IPA:  Another extra from a trade.  I can't even remember much about this one.  I just know it wasn't that good. Not much hop presence for an IPA.  Malty and sweet, but not much else going for it.  Obviously quite forgettable haha. 6.0/10

Good People- Coffee Oatmeal Stout:  Another extra.  This one surprised me due to the fact that it wasn't pitch black.  Aroma and taste was kind of lackluster.  Chocolate, some coffee, a creamy milk sweetness.  Not very roasty or bold.  Easy-drinking, but forgettable. 8.4/10

Cascade- Blueberry:  Purchased this bottle on a whim.  Not a huge sour fan, but I figured this was worth a shot considering the reputation Cascade has for their sours.  Pours an effervescent deep blue/purple.  This one wasn't as sour as I thought it was gonna be.  The tartness was there, but it was pretty subdued.  Taste is mostly blueberry, with a slight vinegar quality to it and a funky yeast flavor.  Luckily I split this one with a friend, because there's NO WAY I could ever finish a 750 mL of a sour by myself.  Having said that, this one's worthy of a shot. 8.8/10

Against the Grain- 35K:  Another trade extra.  Pretty similar to the Good People Coffee Oatmeal stout.  Maybe a bit sweeter.  No real booziness on this.  Another one I wouldn't buy, but I enjoyed well enough. 8.6/10

Founders- Centennial IPA:  FINALLY got around to finding a fresh bottle of this.  Cracked it open during US vs. Germany.  This one is pretty citrus-forward, but has some floral notes and a little pine.  Tastes boozier than I expected.  Comparing this to Two Hearted, another all centennial hop beer, this doesn't really hold a candle.  It's a good beer, but its closest competition blows it away in my opinion. 8.9/10

JESTER KING!

:pimp:

Tried some Nocturn when I was out in Austin a few weeks back. Haven't tried any other their other beers tho.

I try to go to the brewery as often as possible but its 3 hour trip from DFW to Austin. If you like Nocturn you should definitely try and get your hands on some Atrial.

I got a closet full of Jester King stashed up from recent trips. I really like Encendia. Its one of their newer releases from this summer. RU55 is amazing if you can find some.

I try to go to the brewery as often as possible but its 3 hour trip from DFW to Austin. If you like Nocturn you should definitely try and get your hands on some Atrial.

I got a closet full of Jester King stashed up from recent trips. I really like Encendia. Its one of their newer releases from this summer. RU55 is amazing if you can find some.

I believe they had RU55 on tap when I went. Should of tried it but I did taste my friends Funk Metal and that was so good.I heard the Flying Saucer in downtown FW serves Jester but I'm not sure which beers.

There's a good brewery named Revolver out of Granbury . I tried their Blood and Honey at a bar on W. 7th and damn near fell in love.

Stupid question but does JK do any normal beers? I've seen some local breweries trying to cash in on the sour/farmhouse ale type "craze"... I'll go as far as a saison will take me (with that tartness). But other places are definitely opening up more fermentation/barrel space for the "funky" stuff. I'm a traditionalist at heart I guess. I honestly hate them taking away efforts on what they do well on some experimental stuff. But maybe that stuff will stuck? I should be more open minded.

Today was a La Cumbre sort of day. Made the trek for a early open for the USA-Germany game. I went with the latest project dank on drafty (its gotta be the most tropical fruit heavy beer I have tried. Mangos or papayas really really stand out.. tasty stuff), a elevated IPA pint, and a kolsch pint.. I gotta say, between their standard pilsner, their "BEER" 2011 GABF medal winning pilsner, and their kolsch, they truly have the summer beer lineup locked down.. They even have a 5.8% retro pale ale coming in at 35 IBU... MASSIVE lineup imho... Night cap was a BEER growler share with the fam, and some elevated IPA cans... A true LC takeover.. Over places need to step it the hell up. Money is being funneled almost one way at this point.

Last edited:
Someone on BeerAdvocate forums just posted a pic of a beer can in a cozy and offered a free surprise beer package to the first person that guessed the beer.  Ya boy was the winner (it was Westbrook Gose), and now I have a package coming to me next week from Illinois.  If he throws in some 3 Floyds beers I'm gonna defecate bricks.

Needless to say...I'm happy right now. 

Someone on BeerAdvocate forums just posted a pic of a beer can in a cozy and offered a free surprise beer package to the first person that guessed the beer.  Ya boy was the winner (it was Westbrook Gose), and now I have a package coming to me next week from Illinois.  If he throws in some 3 Floyds beers I'm gonna defecate bricks.

Needless to say...I'm happy right now. 

Nice come up! I agree, folks on BA are quite generous.

Sipping on these tonight. First is Head Hunter from Fat Heads. Bottled on 5/20. Nice citrus aroma and dankness. Very hoppy compared to Hop Juju but not overpowering . You get some bitterness from the grapefruits and a clean dry finish. Very good IPA.

Next was Surly Furious. Canned on 3/26. Got some citrus, caramel and toffee in the aroma. Hop presence diminished somewhat in the taste due to it being 3 months old. Nice tang from the citrus hops and sweetness from caramel and toffee. Wish I had a fresher can of this.

i'll probably catch some flack for this, but idc. this is my favorite beer in the warmer months. so tasty & refereshing

pretty much all i drink from may-september

Last edited:
i'll probably catch some flack for this, but idc. this is my favorite beer in the warmer months. so tasty & refereshing

pretty much all i drink from may-september
Beer snob or not, you can't go wrong with an ice cold Corona while BBQ'ing out on the grill. Spike it with Captain Morgan Lime Bite. Or if you wanna get fancy aesthetically, splash of grenadine for the ladies.

i dont drink beer but i know a guy with a successful craft beer called Thimble Island based out of CT

Last edited:
Not a fan of Corona but if it was offered to me at a BBQ or party, I won't say no :lol:

Birthday self-gift:

Happy Bday man! Cheers!

Sipping on this right now. Probably the worst batch I've had to date. Not sure when it was canned but it had this abrasive bitterness to it that I do not enjoy very much. Maybe it was handled inproperly? Tropical fruit notes are there but not as prevalent as the batches I had prior.

I believe they had RU55 on tap when I went. Should of tried it but I did taste my friends Funk Metal and that was so good.I heard the Flying Saucer in downtown FW serves Jester but I'm not sure which beers.

There's a good brewery named Revolver out of Granbury . I tried their Blood and Honey at a bar on W. 7th and damn near fell in love.

You live in DFW? Ive been to most the breweries. Revolver has a cool brewery but not a huge fan of their beers. I know alot of people who love Blood and Honey.

You near Dallas? If so you should check out Peticolas or Deep Ellum Brewing.

My Untappd is Trelvis. I think I added all of yall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom