NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Has anybody tried The Dogfather ?
sick.gif

Amazing disgusting . Only real men drink .

Went to http://www.thebottleroombar.com/ in Whittier, CA on saturday night.
Started off with a bottle of Deschutes Black Butte Porter.
Then a bottle of Maredsous 8.
Lost Abbey Serpent Stount, draft
Eagle Rock Vanilla Bean Solidarity, draft

And tastes of the following throughout the night:
Craftsman Heavenly Hef
Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout
Victory Whirlwind Wit
Great Divide Hercules DIPA
Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale

-J-

Went to http://www.thebottleroombar.com/ in Whittier, CA on saturday night.
Started off with a bottle of Deschutes Black Butte Porter.
Then a bottle of Maredsous 8.
Lost Abbey Serpent Stount, draft
Eagle Rock Vanilla Bean Solidarity, draft

And tastes of the following throughout the night:
Craftsman Heavenly Hef
Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout
Victory Whirlwind Wit
Great Divide Hercules DIPA
Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale

-J-

digital022, Just keep at it./ PM me any time and I can provide any tips or experiences I have gone through as a first year home brewer.
Dedicated web forums are definitely appreciated. I have yet to join and pariticipate. Although almost all of my answers have been answered and ASKED by others already on home brew message boards. So I'm strictly catching up at this point in time.
----

I have some home brew stuff I have been drinking as of late:

Early Jan. 2012 Amber Ale

14b15545724d1f38483559dec153bfdb9cf6b68_r.jpg

-This one was bottled conditioned. As a result of some user error, we have a bit of floaters in our beer, and some haze... Drinkability is totally there without any negative effects.
-----------

Feb. 2012 Brown Ale (bottle conditioned version shown below)... We either had better efficiency than we expected or over shot the recipe.. This one is a 6.9% Brown Ale. Most call for a 5%..... We used 90 or 100L crystal malt instead of 80L. So the color was just really dark.
85a150487346123e64660c87c235d9f9b699503_r.jpg

-Shown above to the right of the brown, is a red ale that we just brewed days ago inside the plastic tubing. 15 gallon brew kettle to the back, and other misc. equipment....

The brown is just some deadly stuff... So much drinkability for a 6.9% beer. You have to love the chocolate malt taste to get this one down
-----------

Some other brand new stuff that will be drinkable within the next week

Root Beer molasses based beer on the left. Should be around 4.5% to 5.
On the right taking a alcohol gravity reading is a Blonde Ale... This time without any honey. This one actually may be higher of a alcohol % than originally predicted.. Locally grown hops, and a 5.9% ABV.... This one should be a great cross over brew, for those just getting into the micro/craft beer scence.. I have had some samples and the drinkability once again is outstanding.
48825864b37134ce1a2385ad0395a0bdedf6f79_r.jpg

I'll post some photos in the coming weeks of the finished product.

Home brewing is definitely a true challenge that requires some start up money. But once that is all complete, it is scary how close some of your beers can get to stuff you spend $8.99/ six pack for.

digital022, Just keep at it./ PM me any time and I can provide any tips or experiences I have gone through as a first year home brewer.
Dedicated web forums are definitely appreciated. I have yet to join and pariticipate. Although almost all of my answers have been answered and ASKED by others already on home brew message boards. So I'm strictly catching up at this point in time.
----

I have some home brew stuff I have been drinking as of late:

Early Jan. 2012 Amber Ale

14b15545724d1f38483559dec153bfdb9cf6b68_r.jpg

-This one was bottled conditioned. As a result of some user error, we have a bit of floaters in our beer, and some haze... Drinkability is totally there without any negative effects.
-----------

Feb. 2012 Brown Ale (bottle conditioned version shown below)... We either had better efficiency than we expected or over shot the recipe.. This one is a 6.9% Brown Ale. Most call for a 5%..... We used 90 or 100L crystal malt instead of 80L. So the color was just really dark.
85a150487346123e64660c87c235d9f9b699503_r.jpg

-Shown above to the right of the brown, is a red ale that we just brewed days ago inside the plastic tubing. 15 gallon brew kettle to the back, and other misc. equipment....

The brown is just some deadly stuff... So much drinkability for a 6.9% beer. You have to love the chocolate malt taste to get this one down
-----------

Some other brand new stuff that will be drinkable within the next week

Root Beer molasses based beer on the left. Should be around 4.5% to 5.
On the right taking a alcohol gravity reading is a Blonde Ale... This time without any honey. This one actually may be higher of a alcohol % than originally predicted.. Locally grown hops, and a 5.9% ABV.... This one should be a great cross over brew, for those just getting into the micro/craft beer scence.. I have had some samples and the drinkability once again is outstanding.
48825864b37134ce1a2385ad0395a0bdedf6f79_r.jpg

I'll post some photos in the coming weeks of the finished product.

Home brewing is definitely a true challenge that requires some start up money. But once that is all complete, it is scary how close some of your beers can get to stuff you spend $8.99/ six pack for.

If you ever get anything close to the Sierra Nevada Summerfest, hit me up haha. Patiently anticipating the summer beers...

If you ever get anything close to the Sierra Nevada Summerfest, hit me up haha. Patiently anticipating the summer beers...

Going to Green Man Brewery in Asheville for a local tasting event. Pretty stoked. Supposedly Dogfish Head founder Sam Calagione is going to be there as well. Would like to meet the dude and talk home brews haha

Going to Green Man Brewery in Asheville for a local tasting event. Pretty stoked. Supposedly Dogfish Head founder Sam Calagione is going to be there as well. Would like to meet the dude and talk home brews haha

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

they are almost all out by now; I have a SN Summer on draft on Tuesday 

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

they are almost all out by now; I have a SN Summer on draft on Tuesday 

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Hope you're staying for more than just the event. I'd be out if I was in town
Beer city USA
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Hope you're staying for more than just the event. I'd be out if I was in town
Beer city USA
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Blue Moon is my go to beer. Haven't tried a lot of these IPAs

yeah man. Forget this mess about company affiliation . Or what company is aligned with craft brewers and which one is aligned with the "devil". I legitimately like Blue Moon for the sweetness it provide as a "beer" (Not to say you even care what Blue Moon represents for a lot of  people since it is brewed by a big manf. plant). (Fyi, they are brewed by Coors, under a different label entirely. So they try to confuse consumers.. But that point alone that they are brewed by the "bad guys" is not enough for me to turn it away.)

IPAs are a whole other beast.. A lot less sweet. They just take a blonde or pale ale normal style of beer and turn up the hops 10x.. It's definitely an acquired taste. And most of the time that comes with a higher ABV, so it's a nice offset... As a session all night beer, you just aren't looking at a lot of IPAs as all nighters.. Three or Four  and .... lights out. I used to have a motto, "IPA.... Stay away". As a general note for all IPA styles. But over time, after trying some award winning IPAs, that can definitely turn you around.

If you hate a style of beer.. Keep trying others... That's all there is to that. Never give up... With hundreds of beers to try at any given time in a local liquor store, you are just bound to find something you LOVE.

-------------
This Friday we tapped off a new keg of some fresh Blonde Ale... Sitting in at only 13 days old, the beer is fresh, and mighty good. Maybe a week away from peak freshness, we had to try it.
2111514f724e1230d6db8b2f3ba193cb9cfc2c2_r.jpg

Still a bit hazy. It'll clear up over time.. This one finished off just a bit over a 5.9% ABV.. I found a recipe online for a 4%er, but felt if I was putting in all the hours to brew, boil, cool. and ferment a beer, you might as well spend a few extra bucks to up to alcohol percentage. So I modified the recipe a tad to try and reach a higher higher of a alcohol profile.. As a result, the color is a tad more on the red side. But the alochol smell or taste is not over powering.

I'll tell you right now... Keep this stuff away from me.. It's dangerously mellow and delicious... I think 3 gallons went out the door tonight..... Scary good
----------

Price wise if you take away initial equipment costs, you are looking at $0.50/ pints...

I'm calling it quits after spending $4.00
laugh.gif

-----------

Spring beers just barely stopped selling in local beer stores.. Now Sam Adams Summer Ale is back?
eek.gif
... I love that stuff,,,,, New Belgium out of Colorado has a Summer Ale as well. But I found that to have a strange after taste... Sam Adams Summer Ale is my go to summer beer...

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Blue Moon is my go to beer. Haven't tried a lot of these IPAs

yeah man. Forget this mess about company affiliation . Or what company is aligned with craft brewers and which one is aligned with the "devil". I legitimately like Blue Moon for the sweetness it provide as a "beer" (Not to say you even care what Blue Moon represents for a lot of  people since it is brewed by a big manf. plant). (Fyi, they are brewed by Coors, under a different label entirely. So they try to confuse consumers.. But that point alone that they are brewed by the "bad guys" is not enough for me to turn it away.)

IPAs are a whole other beast.. A lot less sweet. They just take a blonde or pale ale normal style of beer and turn up the hops 10x.. It's definitely an acquired taste. And most of the time that comes with a higher ABV, so it's a nice offset... As a session all night beer, you just aren't looking at a lot of IPAs as all nighters.. Three or Four  and .... lights out. I used to have a motto, "IPA.... Stay away". As a general note for all IPA styles. But over time, after trying some award winning IPAs, that can definitely turn you around.

If you hate a style of beer.. Keep trying others... That's all there is to that. Never give up... With hundreds of beers to try at any given time in a local liquor store, you are just bound to find something you LOVE.

-------------
This Friday we tapped off a new keg of some fresh Blonde Ale... Sitting in at only 13 days old, the beer is fresh, and mighty good. Maybe a week away from peak freshness, we had to try it.
2111514f724e1230d6db8b2f3ba193cb9cfc2c2_r.jpg

Still a bit hazy. It'll clear up over time.. This one finished off just a bit over a 5.9% ABV.. I found a recipe online for a 4%er, but felt if I was putting in all the hours to brew, boil, cool. and ferment a beer, you might as well spend a few extra bucks to up to alcohol percentage. So I modified the recipe a tad to try and reach a higher higher of a alcohol profile.. As a result, the color is a tad more on the red side. But the alochol smell or taste is not over powering.

I'll tell you right now... Keep this stuff away from me.. It's dangerously mellow and delicious... I think 3 gallons went out the door tonight..... Scary good
----------

Price wise if you take away initial equipment costs, you are looking at $0.50/ pints...

I'm calling it quits after spending $4.00
laugh.gif

-----------

Spring beers just barely stopped selling in local beer stores.. Now Sam Adams Summer Ale is back?
eek.gif
... I love that stuff,,,,, New Belgium out of Colorado has a Summer Ale as well. But I found that to have a strange after taste... Sam Adams Summer Ale is my go to summer beer...

Just had some Bigfoot Ale...brewed by Sierra Nevada

think it's like ~9.0% alc. by volume

even more than torpedo I think

Just had some Bigfoot Ale...brewed by Sierra Nevada

think it's like ~9.0% alc. by volume

even more than torpedo I think

Back
Top Bottom