:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

i tried the baby powder under the insole trick to stop squeaky shoes... i think it suppressed the sound some but it's still squeakin

what's up fam? I was moving today and discovered that my DS air max 180 lunar was discolored from the tissue paper in the shoe box. Is there any way to restore the off white discolored to back to white? see pictures below

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

^ Retrobrite maybe...

I store my shoes in Ziploc bags. The bag isn't fully zipped so the shoes can "breathe". The tissue paper and box are supposedly acidic which causes the discoloration.

what's up fam? I was moving today and discovered that my DS air max 180 lunar was discolored from the tissue paper in the shoe box. Is there any way to restore the off white discolored to back to white? see pictures below
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

depends on the material, if its rubber or plastic retrobrite will work, if its anything else i dont know

What do you guys recommend for repairing soles that are becoming unglued? My og XVIIs have the sole by the heel separating a little bit and I don't want to rock them till I can get it fixed for fear that more separation will occur. They're one of my grails so any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Just grabbed some of that Jason Markk cleaner. Very excited to see how it works, I've only heard good things.

wtf is this? can someone tell me how to get rid of this orange-y ish on the glow in the dark soles of my galaxy flight ones?

Wasnt there the first day then two days later bam

stuff I did:

wiped the bottoms with a wet cloth and im pretty sure i patted them dry

left them in the sun for about an hour to "charge up" the glow in the dark soles

am I f'd or what? help me

!

Anyone know how to clean the white rubber midsole on the military 4's? Just noticed the stain so it seems it's been there for a while an I can't seem to get it off

I recently traded sum bull 10 for wolf grey 5 and do any of ya know if i can use shoe mgk to clean up the suade

^ i usually use suede cleaner from like footlocker or something and just start scrubbing with a somewhat damp facecloth. dont use that brush on the top i wouldnt trust dragging that plastic across my suede

Aight thanks for the respnse im just scared of the grey staying darker cuz of the cleaner but imma clean em anyway

Well I guess I'll post here as I can't find a "post your restorations" thread. Here's the info if anyone cares to know or has an inquiry (also I'll try to answer as many questions as I can without giving away myself, as this is my job and source of income!)

Http://www.facebook.com/raleighrestorations
http://www.youtube.com/raleighrestorations
email: RaleighRestorations@yahoo.com

535685_436705113008199_187010266_n.jpg

NEXT: DTRT spizikes restore, sorry this is the only before picture but you get the idea.
389709_466507623361281_804973350_n.jpg

after
331513_490039334341443_928578145_o.jpg

Next: Deep cleaning of OG 1985 1's, customer did not want rubber retrobrite'd nor did he want paint anywhere on the shoe. So this is just a very deep thorough cleaning.
before and after side by side.
401850_468980173114026_842727425_n.jpg

Whitening of Cordura nylon on cherry XI lows left before, right after
600129_478774728801237_1160196544_n.jpg

whitening of toecaps on laney 5's
before
337097_488559701156073_1234309075_o.jpg

after
hphotos-ash*****2418_488559491156094_546232572_o.jpg

complete restore on fire red 5s from 2006, repainted seaglowed, decreased uppers cleaned up (sorry no before pic)
553624_442332785778765_1503653098_n.jpg

Rubber ashyness restored on cherry XII's
540417_450014458343931_1987651113_n.jpg

Cool Grey 3's repainted
First picture is to show how clean the strips are before prepping and painting
166593_462496140429096_1723201788_n.jpg

after
177739_473159459362764_1278540848_o.jpg

comments questions and even criticisms are welcome!

Last edited:
^^Woah man good stuff.  Im sure you do this as a business but if you ever decide to share a tip I'd love to know how to get rid of the ashiness on those xii's and whitened that mesh on those xis.  

Working on restoring my Grape 5's.  The paint on the midsole had almost completely flaked away.  Sorry no before pic but I have 2 progress shots and a halfway point pic.  Have yet to really whiten the leather or stitching on the shoe and scouring these forums and other sites for a good retro-brite formula.  

After painting the purple and black sections over and prepped the emerald flame and triangle.  

After taking over an hour to try my best to color match the emerald.  This was my third sneaker painting attempt so like an idiot I stripped both shoes with acetone instead of one at a time to do a color match.  I think it came out great.  Compared it to a vnds pair of grapes and the only difference is the purple was slightly off but I'm not redoing the entire sneaker for that.  

Hopefully Ill find a good retor-brite formula to unyellow that mesh and sole.  

Last edited:
After taking over an hour to try my best to color match the emerald.  This was my third sneaker painting attempt so like an idiot I stripped both shoes with acetone instead of one at a time to do a color match.

Hopefully Ill find a good retor-brite formula to unyellow that mesh and sole.  

Haa I've done that a few times, Always match your colors before you strip but it happens to the best of us.

I appreciate the good words, and yes this is my job and I can't let too much info out. The whitening on the cordura nylon (mesh) is the RIT method which you can youtube and find videos on it with good tutorials

Also retr0brite formulas are pretty simple. Use Sallys 30% or 40% peroxide cream, (sallys beauty shop or any other cosmetic place should have this), glycerin which i found at a local CVS, corn starch, and finally a little pinch of oxyclean or an off brand works just as good! LMK if you have any questions about this!

Haa I've done that a few times, Always match your colors before you strip but it happens to the best of us.
I appreciate the good words, and yes this is my job and I can't let too much info out. The whitening on the cordura nylon (mesh) is the RIT method which you can youtube and find videos on it with good tutorials
Also retr0brite formulas are pretty simple. Use Sallys 30% or 40% peroxide cream, (sallys beauty shop or any other cosmetic place should have this), glycerin which i found at a local CVS, corn starch, and finally a little pinch of oxyclean or an off brand works just as good! LMK if you have any questions about this!
Sheesh you put in work on that RIT method then.  I recently bought both the powder version of RIT whitener and ordered the liquid version and my results weren't that good.  Maybe the water I'm using isn't hot enough or I'm just not scrubbing hard enough .  Thanks for the retro brite formula will definitely be picking up some supplies and trying it this weekend.  Will keep you updated thanks man.  Cosign on that turtle feathers site as well.  I get all my Angelus paints from there and they hold up very well IMO.  Just make sure to get a matte or deglazing finisher.  I'm noticing the paints finish really shiny otherwise.  

Last edited:
Sheesh you put in work on that RIT method then.  I recently bought both the powder version of RIT whitener and ordered the liquid version and my results weren't that good.  Maybe the water I'm using isn't hot enough or I'm just not scrubbing hard enough .  Thanks for the retro brite formula will definitely be picking up some supplies and trying it this weekend.  Will keep you updated thanks man.  Cosign on that turtle feathers site as well.  I get all my Angelus paints from there and they hold up very well IMO.  Just make sure to get a matte or deglazing finisher.  I'm noticing the paints finish really shiny otherwise.  

Yeah, depending on the pair you'll need a good finisher. If you're buying from turtlefeathers don't let the "matte finish" fool you, it's actually very shiny and not matte at all. Go with some other acrylic matte finisher from a local arts and crafts store, any will do. The RIT method just make sure you use hot water, I just thought about when you wash whites you use hot water to make them whiter. Any questions just ask i'll try and help!

i have a lot of sole separation on my 11's around the sole and midsole any way to glue it back?

i have a lot of sole separation on my 11's around the sole and midsole any way to glue it back?
Barge cement can b used for the sole and midsole. For the midsole you might want to use a clamp to secure the shoe while gluing it back together. For the soles on the xi's I used the barge cement and secured it together with extra shoe strings. I let it settle for about 3 days to make sure it was tight and secure. Good luck.

does anyone know how to take of glue like stains on suede....i was retrobriting my wolf greys and some of it dripped on it while it was sitting in the sun

MY question is in regards to retrobrite. 

I've seen quite a few videos up on Youtube, detailing the processes used to make the formula, how to apply it, how to remove it.  My question, to anyone who has BEEN doing this for any "real amount of time", is:

How much exposure to UV does it REALLY take to get the soles back to transluscent?  Is that even POSSIBLE? 

..to get the soles SEE THRU again? ..little to NO yellowing, using retrobrite? 

Obv. the amount of time required will correlate to the state of yellowing on the sole, I understand that.

..that said?

Is it really worth it?  The Sea Glow results I see are CLEAR soles, not MOSTLY clear.  ..feel me?

I see kids getting their soles back to MOSTLY clear, but?   ..the only videos I see where it works as you would HOPE it to?  ..the kicks weren't in bad shape, the soles were not THAT yellowed to begin w/. 

I own multiple pairs of V's & VI's, all in varied stages of yellowing, and would like to address it. 

I started retrobriting my black 3M V's a few days ago.  I have DEFF. seen results, but?   ..I've had the kicks appx. 3 years, & wear them a LOT.  They're my tanks/beaters quite often, because the 3M is just monster.  Being black AND non-fabric?  ..the sole/netting is really the only issue w/the kicks.  The results I've seen thus far?  ..appx. 20 hrs. deep?   ..isn't what I had hoped. 

I guess I'm looking for any tips on making this MORE effective, OR someone who has used both Sea Glow & retrobrite enough to know if there's a huge difference in the results, like I feel there might be by judging off of other people's pics. & vids.

Blah.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was trying to restore these flints but I cant seem to get the stains off from the leather and the pods are yellowish. What would you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom