Official Warriors Off Season Thread

it will be well worth it if the lotto balls go our way
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

priority #1 should be to get a LEGIT big man (no over-the-hill Cwebb type $%%!)

but WArriors had a good season, 48-49 wins is a playoff spot in any other year besides this insane season
eek.gif

they need to make a push for a Brand
nerd.gif
or other legit PF/C

I'd love it if the W's get a big man through a trade or FA. I have a feeling that if we draft someone they won't end up playing as much like thisyear.

Only changes I need to see happening next year is more PT for the bench. They were inconsistent sometimes but Nellie barely utilized em. Wright definitelyneeds to get some quality PT next season as well.

Hopefully we see some new faces next year, I won't be too sad if I see Croshere, POB, Barnes, and maybe Pietrus going to other teams. Doubt anyone wouldpick up Barnes though so he might be back with us or a FA.

We really need to keep 'Buike around and obviously Monta and Andris, that was the whole point of the JR trade. Not too sure about keeping Watson though butthen again I haven't seen him play that much neither. I'm sure others wouldn't mind keeping him if we don't try and find another guard likeHudson.

I definitely don't want to see Baron go, Monta's the future and all but I don't think he can be at point yet, and we certainly can't find arandom scrub to fill in his shoes. We all know how stagnant the offense gets when BD sits.

So anyone know a PF/C that'll be a free agent this offseason? Mully needs to do some work.

When the year started, I said it was playoffs or bust for the Warriors, but then again I didn't think we would have 48-49 wins. I am upset we didn'tget in but I can't be that mad. The main reason I am upset though is because this squad struggled so much at the end of the season. Either they ran out ofgas or just stopped caring. Changes will have to be made this off season. Monta, Biedrins, and Wright HAVE to be in the starting lineup next year. At leastright now, I guess we can leave Jackson in there but Nellie HAS to discipline him. That leaves the PG spot. I love Baron, but he disappointed me so muchlately. If he doesn't opt out, I obviously want him back. If he decides to opt out, I don't want to overpay for him. If we can get him at a reasonableprice, do it but no max contract or some +%!%. I can see this dude getting paid and then getting lazy as +%*+. The problem is if he leaves, I don't thinkMonta can run point yet. Nellie and Mullin are going to have to think this out. The bench needs to get A LOT deeper also. We need more big men because smallball will not win you anything out west. Period. There's more but I got to go to class
laugh.gif
so I may add something today or in the next few days.

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

Originally Posted by franchise3

Get Brand.

Keep dreaming
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

But seriously, Brand + Thornton
eek.gif
pimp.gif

+ Kaman in 08-09
smokin.gif

Clippers in 08-09: Livingston, Eric Gordon [assuming clips get the 4th or 5th pick], mobley, thornton, maggette, brand, kaman. That's a legit #8 seedin the west

As much as a disappointment it is not reaching the playoffs two years in a row to help shake some of the pure hate off, we played surprisingly well for what wehad. There's nothing to be ashamed of with our record, aside from some of the losses that came at the wrong time or versus poor teams.

We played well on the road, got to see Monta turn into a solid player, and see that this team is still going to be capable of hanging in there versus teamsclearly better than us. There were a lot of experiments that didn't work out - Hudson and CWebb, off the top of my head.

The key to turning the corner for next year will be a legit PF/C who fits into our offense, can play some interior d and rebound. We didn't have that typeplayer this year, and we'll finish, what 9th?

The Draft will be interesting, to see if we keep the pick or package it.

and June 30th will be interesting, as thats the day Baron should decide his future.

Personally, if he's going to be the pouty/butt hurt baron, then happy trails. If he can be what he's been the last two years, I'd like him tostay...but the question I'll continually ask is, is a baron that plays 65 games worth more in the long run than a baron that plays 80?

Hopefully we can have a better depth chart for next year. Obviously, I'd look for Nellie to play guys who are "2nd" year players more since hedoesn't bother with their rookie year. Bellineli will hopefully have confidence and Wright showed some great potential. Even guys like CJ Miles and Buikeplayed well in big spots, which hopefully means they can be around and contribute. Neither should cost us much. Barnes will be interesting, since he was damnnear nonexistent this year.

Lots of questions going into the off-season, we'll see what happens.

This is a 50+ win team we've got, I don't see why any major changes are needed. The missing piece is a Milsap type PF to get us stronger down low. I doagree that Nellie's gotta learn how to trust his other guys, but I think that trust will build through the offseason/training camps. The panic buttondoesn't need to be pushed yet, I think this team will win 50+ next year even with a possibly better Western Conference.

What you guys need, is A BIG MAN!!!!! Did you not see Amare and shaq dominating....especially in the west with so many goof pf/C. I, have always liked watchingtheir games, because they always put on a show but overall a good season and good luck next year.

[h1]Davis isn't saying if Warriors in his plans[/h1]
Article Launched: 04/15/2008 01:38:05 AM PDT

PHOENIX - Warriors guard Baron Davis is keeping his options open.
This summer, Davis will have the right to opt out of his contract - which is scheduled to pay $17.2 million next year - and seek a more lucrative, long-term deal. And as Golden State's captain closed to within one step of his first 82-game season since 2001-02, he declined Monday to say whether he's interested in leaving after 3 1/2 years in Oakland.

"Yeah, I want to win a championship here," Davis said before the Warriors' 122-116 defeat by Phoenix. "We went to the playoffs, we're in the playoff hunt right now, so my whole thing is to bring a championship to the Bay Area. That would be something great. Al Attles (the coach of Golden State's 1974-75 NBA title-winning team) is my man, so I've got some big shoes to fill."

So, that means you're going to stay? "I didn't say nothing about that," Davis said.

Warriors Coach Don Nelson already has broached the topic with Davis. He hopes to talk more with Davis, who recently turned 29, before any decision is made.

"He's got to make the right decisions for himself and his family," Nelson said. "He understands that. Whatever they are, we can deal with."

It would be tough to find a better complement for third-year guard Monta Ellis, who will be a restricted free agent this summer. Davis' size and strength allow Ellis to defend shooting guards while handling bulk of playmaking duties on offense.

"It's always

b

hard to replace your best player, unless you're really (bad) and you don't have any good players at all," Nelson added.
• Warriors center Andris Biedrins acknowledged early this season that his time with the Latvian national team last summer left him more fatigued entering the NBA season. He has to weigh whether he wants to go through a similar regimen as his country attempts to qualify for the 2009 European Championships.

"It's hard to play all summer," Biedrins said. "If you practice June, July, August, September, it kind of adds up."

Practices begin July 1, and games start Aug. 20; Latvian Coach Karlis Muiznieks is coming to Oakland on Thursday to try to persuade his only NBA player to compete.

• Brandan Wright's season appears to have ended. The rookie forward sat out Monday, his third in a row, because of his strained left groin. He is not expected to play in the regular-season finale Wednesday.

- GEOFF LEPPER

i don't know why Nellie didn't play half of his bench during the season. to me, when they got playing time, they played well. maybe we do need a deeperbench, but not as bad as people may think. half our players aren't getting developed because they're riding pine all the damn time....

It was a good year and I am happy that they reached this many wins. The warriors simply didn't deserve the #8. After all the chances the W's had tohave a grasp at the position they never capitalized. Also the loses to some of the non-contending teams came back and haunted them. I am still happy for howwell they played and how much some players stepped up this season. Murph and Mac was going nuts this morning on KNBR assuming why Baron didn't play theentire second half. I was questioning this myself but whatever it was, I hope the reason isn't something to cause turmoil within the franchise. A lot offans are hating on Nellie and his coaching ways, I still say we should be thankful...if it wasn't for him, we'd still be stuck with Mike Montgomery.It'll be tough not seeing the Playoff decal at Roaracle...but I believe the organization will address some key concerns in order to be solid playoff team.Here are some thoughts that I was thinking about while driving to class...

-Baron Davis. He simply proved that he could play a full season this year. If he choses to opt out, I hope he returns because like what he was quoted lastnight, "he would love to win a championship here." If he doesn't return, the W's have a lot more money to use.

-Monta Ellis. A priority signing, some have commented saying he wouldn't be playing this well if he was in another system besides Nellie ball. I believespeed and athleticism will always work in any system. Ellis' jumpshot is becoming a consistent threat for opposing team defenses, yet his defense coulddefinitely use some work.

-Andris Biedrins. A perfect center for Nellie's system and plays the way he knows how to play. A hard worker who doesn't complain and yet stillcontinues to put some big numbers. Is he worth the $40 million? No. But he definitely deserves a good sized contract. He is a priority signing along withEllis.

-Matt Barnes is gone. Sac town's finest I believe has run it's course.

-Mikael Pietrus. Gone...Unless he realizes he can't get the money he wants and signs back with the W's. I believe the W's will offer him a contractthis offseason.

-Kelenna 'Biceps' Azubuike. I believe will not pick up his option. He has the potential to be a solid starter for teams in this league, he'llprobably test the waters.

That's all that came to my head until I realized I had no cash to buy a parking permit. Again, this is just what I think and I am not trying to step onanybody's toes or challenging them with their opinions. I believe Nellie would be back for one more season, I don't think Keith Smart is quite ready. Iwas at the game where the Kings lost in Sacramento and Keith Smart was doing the coaching that game. We lost. Hehe. It sucks not to see the W's in theplayoffs but I have been a fan since my first game in '93 and I am never going to stop rooting for this team.

....I bet Foyle would have been a key rebounder for the Warriors this year. =P

That's all that came to my head until I realized I had no cash to buy a parking permit. Again, this is just what I think and I am not trying to step on anybody's toes or challenging them with their opinions. I believe Nellie would be back for one more season, I don't think Keith Smart is quite ready. I was at the game where the Kings lost in Sacramento and Keith Smart was doing the coaching that game. We lost. Hehe. It sucks not to see the W's in the playoffs but I have been a fan since my first game in '93 and I am never going to stop rooting for this team.
Its hard though because its not like its HIS team, either. He's trying to instill and run it how Nellie would, etc. Plus, Sac ALWAYS plays ushard regardless of the situation. I do agree though, I'd imagine Nellie is back for one year and then he's done.

on the contrary, i hope that there is a small level of turmoil in that front office.

they need to realize that whatever they are doing/did didn't work to get the TEAM through the entire season.

we are thankful for nelson 2.0, yes.
but we cannot be complacent and settle for some of his ways which inhibit the team from reaching higher heights.

Real talk I have a funny feeling we might let Baron go

Oh and stating the obvious but we better LOCK UP monta as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

....I bet Foyle would have been a key rebounder for the Warriors this year. =P

Damn LiveMyReality
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Fan for life my friend. Fan for life.

And as for the comment of the W's letting Baron go...If he offered a high contract that isn't his worth then yes it would be reasonable to let himgo. But...It's all up to Baron who decides on whether or not he wants to stay. IMO, I doubt he'll leave...he fits perfectly in the Bay Area and hasbeen the answer to one of needs in so long...(We now have a PG but no big man....If we lose our PG, we never come up with a solution to have both PG andbigman. And no not Bimbo Coles and Kevin Willis.)

Davis is gone in my opinion.

Ellis and Biedrens must be locked up. but those things are obvious. I still think we need to let this cool off and come back to it.

I doubt anyone would offer him close to what he makes next season. It would be dumb for him to opt out, but I think it's best for the team if he does. LikeI said a while ago, Biedrins, Wright, and Ellis are the only people that should be untouchable.

I am a Baron davis fan but his decision making sucks. I still cant believe don nelson did not brin g him back in when the warriors were up 11...... I thinkthats what lost them the game... How can you NOT bring him back in at that point?

IF Baron stays I'll be cool with that, no question. I'd love him to stay. If he plays a little bit more disciplined and consistent (and healthy) hewould definitely do well here.

But if we can obtain (via trade):
<--------.....I say we pull the trigger. He's clearly our franchise player right now, but he isn't going to be around when our young core grows up.I think it might be wise to sell him when his price is high. He just had a healthy season; although his previous Byron Scott stuff still lowers his stock.

If we trade him, we need either a PG replacement, or at least move Monta to PG and draft/obtain a SG, IMO (we have Belinelli sure, but I kinda see him as a 6thman type).
Or Brand, but that's not happening.
laugh.gif

As long as we keep these 4,
then I'll be happy.

80093579.jpg
72769455.jpg

My Predictions:

Keith Smart will be our head coach next season.

Barnes will not be re-signed.

Al Harrington, Mikael Pietrus, Azuibuike, and Wright will be traded for Elton Brand.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom