Retail Workers FTL? Vol. Pet Peeves

yeh, retail is fraustrating trying to meet sales goals and also keeping customers content. im working as a sales coach right now and it has its ups and downs

was promised to become an assistant manager by 2010, but with the way they are treated by customers and district managers, i dont think i will stay in retail

having a degree with no job experience in this economy FTL

I used to work at Victoria's Secret.... i was an associate and I was stock....

I made more doing stock and it was a alot more fun....

But one thing I hated was this:

Customer: "I have this bra on idk what size it is"
Me: "I can measure you"
Customer: **reaches behind her.. lifts the back of her shirt...pulls bra tag down** "What size does this say?"
Me: **(in my head) #*%$! the effin size done rubbed off on your sweaty back** "The size isn't on there I can measure you tho"

Or the magic convo:

Customer" "These bras too expensive, when ya'll gonna have a sale"
Me
indifferent.gif
{most women kno VS onlii have 2 sales a year.... its called the SEMI-ANNUAL sale}

All all foreigners, not just Mexicans, try on stuff that doesn't fit... 1 time i had an Asian girl who didn't speak very good English ask to try on abra that was a 34C and she was measured out to a 32A... and just wanted to try it on because she liked the color... REALLY THO? But she didn't buy ittho... looked pretty sad walking out that fitting room

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

9. People who rant about the "sweat shops" and the bad conditions people who make Nike stuff are made in.
Agree. Why the f__ would you come into a Nike Store and complain to a retail worker? Take that s__t to Beaverton.

Other things i hated were;
-Someone on NT would post something false about our store having some "heat" and hella people calling me a liar cause NT said we had it. F your life.
-Little high school kids coming in and chasing their little girlfriends around the damn store. This aint no playground.
-Random dudes coming in and askin what "heat" we have in the back, i am not going to "let you in" cause you asked. And plus we put the"heat" out ASAP so we can generate some profit.
-Asking about what the difference is between this Nike shoe and Adidas' and Puma's and Asics' and Ugg's and Gucci's shoes. Do some researchbefore you come in the store
-Tourists coming in a group of 15 and 1 person buying A pair of socks for 99 cents.
-Old cheap %%* folks trying to get discounts from me. No offense but it always seems to be Indian folks, word to Russel Peters.
-Do not come into a store 5 mins before closing and say i just want to buy something small. We are not going to let you in.

There are a lot more but im way too tired and these bad memories are pissing me off.

Originally Posted by kuNASTY88

7AM store meetings on a saturday FTMFL
smh.gif

laugh.gif
i remember when i used to work parks and recreation for the city ilived in during 2005-07 we had a new community director who tried to pull that crap.

i gave my supervisor a few write up slips one day and told her write me up for the next few meetings because their was no way i was waking up at 8am on asaturday for a meeting after going out the night before.

CAN'T DO IT

Ive had a few retail jobs and only stayed at one for longer than a month and that was Circuit City... that was the best job ever!! I wish I could go back

on the other hand i was working at urban outfitter for a little and a customer asks me " so is the price on the tag the price of the shirt??"
indifferent.gif

I dont work retail but as a lifeguard I get a large amount of stupid questions.
like before 1 o'clock when the pool is open all these kids are sitting outside asking "aye is the pool open its 12:45" like are you serious its12:45! your not even close to opening time, PLUS YOU SAID THE TIME YOURSELF
mad.gif

or when people ask the same old questions like " can we dive here?" "can we run here?" when there are these giant signs painted on theground that flat out say no running or diving
smh.gif

or when parents try to argue with us about having to pay to get in
parent: i am not swimming i should have to pay
us: sorry but its an entrance fee not a swimming fee
like #%@+@ its 50 cents to %!+#!*@ be in the facility!!! smh
mad.gif
smh.gif

Currently I work at an adult novelty store. My biggest pet peeve is when I greet a customer and get no response.

Yesterday I had a guy lock himself in my changing room for an hour and smoke some crack. Called the cops and they busted in and found him sitting on the floorwith his pants off, wearing a stolen condom, cracked out of his gourd.
laugh.gif
Wild.

A lot of FNL heads in here. One of the whackest jobs I had. I had lazy store manager that would leave me in the front on store by myself during my first week.She was in the back eating Subway and talking to her friends.
smh.gif
Lame customers asking for shoes, just to see them. I had a customer asked if we had aparticular shoe in a certain size, when I got it from the back, they were like, "Oh I was just wondering."
indifferent.gif
Didn't even try them on. I also hadrandom dudes asking for discounts. Oh and getting baby shoes was whack, customers never knew the right size and those baby shoes were impossible to get! I gothit with Spanish bit too! I'm Pakistani so people would think I was Hispanic.

I used to work at OfficeMax too. Extra whack too. Everyone was old and had a story to tell or something to complain about. People always fishing for discounts!Coming in 5 minutes till closing saying I only need 1 thing, and look around for like 20 minutes.
smh.gif
And the employee discount was whack too!

Now I work at Kay Jewelers which is a pretty chill job, but we still have people coming in like 5 minutes till we close. Like 1 week ago some Indian guy comein looking to get a discount on ring for like $700, saying his brother-in-law could sell it at the price at his jewelry shop. I was like go there then!
indifferent.gif
Everyone complains about prices, but jewelry is marked up like crazy. But this discount is sick! Picked up a couple watches.
pimp.gif

When I see the people I work with, I work extra hard in school so don't end up being 40 selling jewelry. It's weird when a coworker asked to get offearly so they can pick up their kid from school.

Finishline is the worst as far as dealing with customers(especially in my area, no one speaks English anymore).
and why are there people still coming to the store thinking we have the Space Jams a week later?

So....I'm 21(22 in Feb). Never worked until last summer...and I worked....retail
laugh.gif

at a lovely little store called "Sportslane" in Queens....(Woodhaven Location...)

%#$# was a slave shop G
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...money was trash (go min. wage)....as Food4Thgt alluded to...fillin in holes/putting u singles/doing stock....and unfortunately i was there the nightwe did inventory....15 hour work days FOR THE LOSS
indifferent.gif

One day they re did all the floors...wood shavings and dust everywhere...its flying in our lungs and everyone is hacking and coughing...i had to go get a maskfrom he workers MYSELF...they let us gag otherwise
indifferent.gif
...I had totell my manager "aiyo fam I can't breathe"...he had the audacity to give me the stale face when i kept my mask on damn near all day

Days without breaks...literally had to ASK for the break...and they'd be mad like we aren't owed one
indifferent.gif

I was the only black dude there.....and yes customers did describe me as "the black guy"...got into a weird issue with a coworkers BF...he told herme and him were selling weed together (Yeah...I dont know his +%!...)

Woodhaven is also a Hispanic/Guyanese/Etc neighborhood...so my regular Black +%! got ignored and funny looks EVERY DAY
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Manager tried to bark on me...I took it on the chin for a good 3 weeks then blacked out on him in the basement
roll.gif
...I was so disrespectful but I knew I wouldnt be fired so...that's how I wasrocking

My ho +%! coworkers were afraid of the goons....every time a pack of minorities came in you can hear everyone clenching they +%! cheeks in fear...I was theonly one who could work with them calmly for some reason...

I was also the oldest reg worker...felt mad outta place with all the HSers/College Freshmen
ohwell.gif

but uh yeah met some cool ppl...not that I remember they names (What up Henry!
pimp.gif
)

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

^^ meh, it's what I've heard. Some shoe factories have better working conditions than most people do. That whole thing was years ago. And it's not like all the other brands weren't doing it either. Just sayin *kanye shrug*

You've heard right. I did a couple reports in the past year on the sweatshops and what companies are changing their #%!# up. Nike's one of em. I mean,obviously most of these companies still step over lines, but it's getting better.

I'm not going to rant about my retail working experiences, I'd have a post as long as any of Meth's. I'll just say that working retail for 3years is what's driving me to trying my damnedest to get a company up and running ASAP.

Customer: Can I try these on in an 8?
Me: Sure
Customer: Oh wait before you go back there can you bring me out a try on sock?
Me: Yea I got you *goes to the back only to see we don't have anymore clean try on socks, grabs one out the dirty pile that someone used earlier thatday*
Me: Here goes your shoes and a sock to try it on
Customer: Oh thanks, you're a life saver
Me: No Problem while I'm
roll.gif
on the inside

I'm so glad that the retail days are over for me.

1. I hated having to come in at 4-5am the day after Thanksgiving
2. Watching the Store Managers kiss butt when the District Managers come for a visit
sick.gif
tired.gif

3. Crappy raises....
4. Customers looking for broken items so they can get a discount on them
mad.gif

5. Customers who buy big pieces of furniture only to find out they trying to fit it in a two door 89 Civic
indifferent.gif

6. Store Managers getting mad when employees can't complete tasks in the store with a crowded store and under=staffed employees
7. Having to go to the stockroom to locate an item only to find out the customer left
indifferent.gif

8. Customers who expect you to know everything about EVERY item in the store
9. Security with their racial profiling of customers
10. Store Managers getting mad when you are really sick and call out of work

Target FTL....

^Oh $%#@!

The part about the managers kissin' cheeks when the DM's stroll through is dead on!
My manager used to have us place faux flowers on the breakroom tables and a bunch of other stupid $#!@ to try and make a "good impression",but Ithink DM's in general are hip to all the trickery and brown nosing.

what came first?
the rude retail employees or the rude customers who turned the retail workers into serviceless aholes?

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

this should be motivation to succeed & to stick to school

unless you you will be 23 years old still making $10 an hour with no future.
this, Those 30 and 40 year old retail workers are my motivation to keep grinding and getting my %$#@ together.

^Definitely the rude customer turning the employee into a-holes!

Customers essentially are the reason why businesses stay afloat,however the employee is in the position of having to lower themselves to serve strangers andare constantly taught that good ol' "the customer is always right" foolishness.You might be able to flex your patience muscle for a good amountof time,but EVERYONE has their limit!
When that limit is reached................that a-hole employee is born!

Originally Posted by piczon1983

customer - " Excuse me, do you have any more of these in the back ? "
me - " im sorry everything we have is on the floor " ( knowin damn well i gotta grip of em in the back)

for the nice customers i'll do it for em. If ur a prick, you get nuthin.

I'm curious... how do you decide who is a prick and who isnt?
I would think an "excuse me" is being polite

and for the record...I worked retail way back in HS.

I'm at Target as a cart attendant (rarely, but sometimes a cashier) but my store is laid back...I break most of the rules to make my job easy & I loveit.

Lmaooooo I had plenty of fun times *#$!%%* with customers along with some pet peeves already mentioned.

I remember when it was raining and there were no carts in the building this one indian guy was furiously enraged and was like:
Him - [Yelling] Where is the guy who brings the carts into the building
Me - Thats me
Him - [Yelling]You should be fired you dont even do your job blah blah blah...(dude kept going on)
Me - I feel you.
roll.gif

Lol, I hate when im bringing carts in the building and somebody ALWAYS has the audacity to just stand where I put the carts, when I first started working Iwould wait or be like excuse me now I just say excused me one & push it towards them and watch them run out the way.
devil.gif

&
laugh.gif
@ people who see me outside & ask me if we have somethingthat's inside the store. I just look at them like
52i2yr.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom