So I just did some meditation and I came to a realization...

I can def. understand what your saying BlackSheep...It seems like the only way to liberate yourself from this type of life is either through relocation to some hippy commune or to close your eyes and create your own space free from identifying with how you feel this world has imposed its will in making you want what you want (sorry if that sounds like too much, i'm just really typing from just whatever i'm thinking right now)

It's like am I copping out if I fail to notice the beauty of a leaf on a tree if I see some nice booty walking down the street...who am I upholding these expectations in what I deem as beautiful/more beautiful for?

What i'm dealing with now is just seeing things in black and white...either I can stay in the physical realm and pretend that the metaphysical is there just to stroke my ego or I can go into the metaphysical while denying that I don't like somethings in the physical realm (i.e. booty, breasts) while in all truth I still do...I haven't found a middle ground as of yet.

I can def. understand what your saying BlackSheep...It seems like the only way to liberate yourself from this type of life is either through relocation to some hippy commune or to close your eyes and create your own space free from identifying with how you feel this world has imposed its will in making you want what you want (sorry if that sounds like too much, i'm just really typing from just whatever i'm thinking right now)

It's like am I copping out if I fail to notice the beauty of a leaf on a tree if I see some nice booty walking down the street...who am I upholding these expectations in what I deem as beautiful/more beautiful for?

What i'm dealing with now is just seeing things in black and white...either I can stay in the physical realm and pretend that the metaphysical is there just to stroke my ego or I can go into the metaphysical while denying that I don't like somethings in the physical realm (i.e. booty, breasts) while in all truth I still do...I haven't found a middle ground as of yet.

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

Sounds like you are trying to find out how to strip away the ego. Most of the issues you identified stem from ego. Read "the seat of the soul" Gary Zukav. Props for meditating.
Fastest way to strip away the ego is 'cid. But I dunno if you're about that life.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

And when we do things to separate ourselves from these "wants" do we further bury ourselves in a self-made hole to escape these wants...things that fall into the category of "doing myself"...reading comics, going to the bar, backpacking, basically lone wolf type things to escape or even deal with the realization that you either can't get sex, wanting everyone to like you or some type of power.

Word son. I ask myself "why am I thinking about sex all the time?" I see a girl I like and I try to think about how things can turn out; hanging out, having fun, etc... but right away my mind slips into different positions I'd be executing and sh
laugh.gif
. Tis crazy.
After reading what you wrote, I feel i'm flowing on a similar wave. Sadly, I have nothing to add at this moment to your thread cus my mind is focused on my belly. I'll be on the sidelines. Good stuff tho.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

And when we do things to separate ourselves from these "wants" do we further bury ourselves in a self-made hole to escape these wants...things that fall into the category of "doing myself"...reading comics, going to the bar, backpacking, basically lone wolf type things to escape or even deal with the realization that you either can't get sex, wanting everyone to like you or some type of power.

Word son. I ask myself "why am I thinking about sex all the time?" I see a girl I like and I try to think about how things can turn out; hanging out, having fun, etc... but right away my mind slips into different positions I'd be executing and sh
laugh.gif
. Tis crazy.
After reading what you wrote, I feel i'm flowing on a similar wave. Sadly, I have nothing to add at this moment to your thread cus my mind is focused on my belly. I'll be on the sidelines. Good stuff tho.

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:

By detaching yourself from your sexual desires you're not suppressing them, but simply not allowing them to consume your life. Instead, you keep your desires and wants outside of you and pick the ones that are worth ingesting.

And you don't need to be secluded in a cave, all you have to do is have the self-discipline to control your mind and separate yourself from frivolousness. Basically, the next time you see a hot chick don't let yourself fantasize being inside her, but more so the way she sounds when she breathes.

Johnny i'm on the course of putting these desires outside of myself but I still feel that there is a tiny piece of string always present that still connects me and because i'm living in a black and white world right now even a tiny string is too much.  And if I do replace the sexual fantasy with something more "bland" like how she breathes what's to say it won't develop into a new fantasy...I think this is how fetishes are brought about.
Fastest way to strip away the ego is 'cid. But I dunno if you're about that life.

one of these days i might be bout that life...stay tuned.

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:

By detaching yourself from your sexual desires you're not suppressing them, but simply not allowing them to consume your life. Instead, you keep your desires and wants outside of you and pick the ones that are worth ingesting.

And you don't need to be secluded in a cave, all you have to do is have the self-discipline to control your mind and separate yourself from frivolousness. Basically, the next time you see a hot chick don't let yourself fantasize being inside her, but more so the way she sounds when she breathes.

Johnny i'm on the course of putting these desires outside of myself but I still feel that there is a tiny piece of string always present that still connects me and because i'm living in a black and white world right now even a tiny string is too much.  And if I do replace the sexual fantasy with something more "bland" like how she breathes what's to say it won't develop into a new fantasy...I think this is how fetishes are brought about.

one of these days i might be bout that life...stay tuned.

I think you can definitely appreciate true beauty in a woman and still live a life that will be far from what the mainstream portrays as a what should be going on in everyday life. This is a big world and I am pretty sure there is a mass with the same beliefs you are forming. There has to be a bad chick in there somewhere who is saying, "I love the way I am living but I would like to share this with a man." Plus, I am sure you are going to want to keep your original beliefs true to what they actually are (ie. multiple versions of a written work being misinterpreted and spread to the masses) and what better way than to make a child and teach them from scratch with a woman who shares the same logic?

I think you can definitely appreciate true beauty in a woman and still live a life that will be far from what the mainstream portrays as a what should be going on in everyday life. This is a big world and I am pretty sure there is a mass with the same beliefs you are forming. There has to be a bad chick in there somewhere who is saying, "I love the way I am living but I would like to share this with a man." Plus, I am sure you are going to want to keep your original beliefs true to what they actually are (ie. multiple versions of a written work being misinterpreted and spread to the masses) and what better way than to make a child and teach them from scratch with a woman who shares the same logic?

Its important to understand that most of your thoughts are not even your own. Those conscious or subconscious bubbles and burps of sex fueled lust are the result of years and years of your brain processing visual and aural suggestion and conditioning. Your subconcious has sent your natural instinct and already chaotic hormonal flesh into a rage for the clapping of butt cheeks. To not indulge in sex or repress it doesn't actually help. In fact id say go have sex and after engage in the act sit back and consciously explore how you feel and where your mind goes. Key words "MIND GOES" which is an oppurtunity for you to step outside of yourself and see where the mind focuses its attention. The most amazing thing about lustful sex is the first five minutes after you climax and the realization that something so miniscule ruled your thought process for hours or days. I used to tell my friends all the time all people wanna do is squirt. People let climaxing and penetrating rule their thought process when it means nothing. Sex is a wonderful thing but it is the ultimate example of how the imagination is more powerful than the reality.

Its important to understand that most of your thoughts are not even your own. Those conscious or subconscious bubbles and burps of sex fueled lust are the result of years and years of your brain processing visual and aural suggestion and conditioning. Your subconcious has sent your natural instinct and already chaotic hormonal flesh into a rage for the clapping of butt cheeks. To not indulge in sex or repress it doesn't actually help. In fact id say go have sex and after engage in the act sit back and consciously explore how you feel and where your mind goes. Key words "MIND GOES" which is an oppurtunity for you to step outside of yourself and see where the mind focuses its attention. The most amazing thing about lustful sex is the first five minutes after you climax and the realization that something so miniscule ruled your thought process for hours or days. I used to tell my friends all the time all people wanna do is squirt. People let climaxing and penetrating rule their thought process when it means nothing. Sex is a wonderful thing but it is the ultimate example of how the imagination is more powerful than the reality.

^^ But what about the fact that sex makes babies? If we all find out sex isn't needed are we also going to say the human race isn't needed?

^^ But what about the fact that sex makes babies? If we all find out sex isn't needed are we also going to say the human race isn't needed?

Developing self-fullfilling phophecy based on ginuine intrest besides sex couldn't be a bad thing. It's nuturing to say the least.

Developing self-fullfilling phophecy based on ginuine intrest besides sex couldn't be a bad thing. It's nuturing to say the least.

I can really get down with this because i understand and have felt the same way for some time now.  
Also I don't want this thread to just be about my sex-fueled mind...I wanted to open this up for other NT'ers to discuss what lies underneath all of their thoughts and actions?  Maybe it's power which leads you to get sex or monetary assets...maybe it's the affection of just one person that is not giving you what you want...

True...but in the sense that Wise is trying to get at and from my understanding that we're at a stage right now (i'm not going to give it an age range because it can occur and reoccur at different times) where reproduction is not the goal...its the euphoria we get...it's the natural high for those sweet seconds...where multiple stimuli converge and you lose yourself in the single moment.  The thing is sex is needed by those who truly want it and not needed by those who don't.  

Another important question i've realized is why is it that 10% of my day i'm who I want to be and the other 90% i'm catering to the crowd?  I really wanna punch myself in the face for saying that because it's like I could be myself 100% of the time and just go ape-#@!# when I want to but I can also just keep my mouth shut at those times and not have to deal with any repercussions of my actions.  I believe I'm coming to understand why all those Zen masters, monks, and Alan Watt's type dudes needed to seclude themselves for extended periods of time.

I'm really questioning alot of things these days.  Thank "something" for NT. 

I can really get down with this because i understand and have felt the same way for some time now.  
Also I don't want this thread to just be about my sex-fueled mind...I wanted to open this up for other NT'ers to discuss what lies underneath all of their thoughts and actions?  Maybe it's power which leads you to get sex or monetary assets...maybe it's the affection of just one person that is not giving you what you want...

True...but in the sense that Wise is trying to get at and from my understanding that we're at a stage right now (i'm not going to give it an age range because it can occur and reoccur at different times) where reproduction is not the goal...its the euphoria we get...it's the natural high for those sweet seconds...where multiple stimuli converge and you lose yourself in the single moment.  The thing is sex is needed by those who truly want it and not needed by those who don't.  

Another important question i've realized is why is it that 10% of my day i'm who I want to be and the other 90% i'm catering to the crowd?  I really wanna punch myself in the face for saying that because it's like I could be myself 100% of the time and just go ape-#@!# when I want to but I can also just keep my mouth shut at those times and not have to deal with any repercussions of my actions.  I believe I'm coming to understand why all those Zen masters, monks, and Alan Watt's type dudes needed to seclude themselves for extended periods of time.

I'm really questioning alot of things these days.  Thank "something" for NT. 

I feel what you're saying about the feeling that comes along with sex but I guess that varies depending on how long you have been with someone or if you are even with someone. Not to say you can get bored with sex but if you can get it whenever because she is always down (being in a relationship), it's different than being single and seeing that female in the American Apparel lace walking by and trying to bag then hopping on the bus and seeing that female in the gym with the yoga pants stretching. Also, it is very crazy waking up knowing you are going to have to live a life far from what you're thinking/feeling. There are times I just sit in the car looking at everything passing by like, "This has nothing to do with me, so why am I here blending in?" I guess we just have to get on our grind and get away.

I feel what you're saying about the feeling that comes along with sex but I guess that varies depending on how long you have been with someone or if you are even with someone. Not to say you can get bored with sex but if you can get it whenever because she is always down (being in a relationship), it's different than being single and seeing that female in the American Apparel lace walking by and trying to bag then hopping on the bus and seeing that female in the gym with the yoga pants stretching. Also, it is very crazy waking up knowing you are going to have to live a life far from what you're thinking/feeling. There are times I just sit in the car looking at everything passing by like, "This has nothing to do with me, so why am I here blending in?" I guess we just have to get on our grind and get away.

Maybe not quite as profound as what OP is suggesting, but I just got finished reading this:

http://www.quarterlyessay...contentment-modern-world

Basically a 25,000 word treatise/essay on the subject of happiness, what it meant in the ancient world, what it means now and how it drives us. Could easily be classed as that 'Want' about which you're speaking OP.

Think about it this way....why do we WANT sex, power, fashion, cars etc.....they're things that we consider to make us happy/contented. But go deeper and ask the question (which the essay does)....What exactly IS happiness? I mean real happiness, not being content with your situation as it stands....it's something that I'm not sure can actually be answered in words, only felt.

Mentioned with a fair bit of detail in the book is Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's novella One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. It's used as an example of how happiness can be achieved by using limits. We may not be able to be happy ALL the time, but for a moment, a minute, an hour, it is possible. In a world in which so much is out of our direct control, being able to limit things thus is HUGE.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Love the choice of thread though, really thought provoking.

Maybe not quite as profound as what OP is suggesting, but I just got finished reading this:

http://www.quarterlyessay...contentment-modern-world

Basically a 25,000 word treatise/essay on the subject of happiness, what it meant in the ancient world, what it means now and how it drives us. Could easily be classed as that 'Want' about which you're speaking OP.

Think about it this way....why do we WANT sex, power, fashion, cars etc.....they're things that we consider to make us happy/contented. But go deeper and ask the question (which the essay does)....What exactly IS happiness? I mean real happiness, not being content with your situation as it stands....it's something that I'm not sure can actually be answered in words, only felt.

Mentioned with a fair bit of detail in the book is Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's novella One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. It's used as an example of how happiness can be achieved by using limits. We may not be able to be happy ALL the time, but for a moment, a minute, an hour, it is possible. In a world in which so much is out of our direct control, being able to limit things thus is HUGE.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Love the choice of thread though, really thought provoking.

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

how long did it take u to feel the benefits of meditation? like that realness feeling.

wow this is profound to me in and of itself...the benefits...I never really thought about meditation in that sense just another way for me to clear the crap and find something underneath.  But now that I look at it, it truly has been beneficial.
i've messed with meditation on and off throughout my life...but I never took it seriously up until about 3 months ago.  I can't really tell you how long it will take before you realize something but when it happens it happens. A book that helped me come to all these bare "understandings" i've come to is this:

book_Journey-of-Awakening_A-Meditator%27s-Guidebook.jpg

Relatively cheap, 1st chapter imho is worth the $7 I paid for it.  Also I came into reading this book thinking this guy was one of those fake *!* "guru" type dudes but once I began reading it, I felt like Ram Dass/Richard Alpert was just like us at one time and he's very grounded in how he writes.  He talks about his desires of sex and other things as well...and filled with a bunch of different quotes from different religions, people, associations...which I really liked.

Here's a vid from when he was just out of Harvard that I thought was pretty thought provoking...

(why can I not embed for days now I still do not understand
mad.gif
)

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

how long did it take u to feel the benefits of meditation? like that realness feeling.

wow this is profound to me in and of itself...the benefits...I never really thought about meditation in that sense just another way for me to clear the crap and find something underneath.  But now that I look at it, it truly has been beneficial.
i've messed with meditation on and off throughout my life...but I never took it seriously up until about 3 months ago.  I can't really tell you how long it will take before you realize something but when it happens it happens. A book that helped me come to all these bare "understandings" i've come to is this:

book_Journey-of-Awakening_A-Meditator%27s-Guidebook.jpg

Relatively cheap, 1st chapter imho is worth the $7 I paid for it.  Also I came into reading this book thinking this guy was one of those fake *!* "guru" type dudes but once I began reading it, I felt like Ram Dass/Richard Alpert was just like us at one time and he's very grounded in how he writes.  He talks about his desires of sex and other things as well...and filled with a bunch of different quotes from different religions, people, associations...which I really liked.

Here's a vid from when he was just out of Harvard that I thought was pretty thought provoking...

(why can I not embed for days now I still do not understand
mad.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom