The NBA Draft Thread

Have tons of hours on film of the guy looking impressive in actual basketball games.

Pass on him because of one unimpressive workout.

They probably weren't sold on him before that.

He has legit concerns. It looks nice but sometimes if you're living off a steady diet of contested midrange jumper and acrobatic contested layups, it doesn't work as well against bigger NBA athletes. His nonchalant attitude is another knock. I had the same worries about Kyrie though. Some guys are so good it doesn't matter.

Sarcasm.  He does a fantastic job of getting pick, but thus far has been pretty terrible about executing the draft picks.
What picks has he really been terrible in executing though? James Young, Fab Melo and RJ Hunter at picks 17,22, and 28 respectively? Last year he drafted a guy that could be a high level 2-way player, one of the best European prospects that can be a starting caliber Center with the 23rd pick, and then whatever Yabusele turns into (He looks pretty interesting).

What picks has he really been terrible in executing though? James Young, Fab Melo and RJ Hunter at picks 17,22, and 28 respectively? Last year he drafted a guy that could be a high level 2-way player, one of the best European prospects that can be a starting caliber Center with the 23rd pick, and then whatever Yabusele turns into (He looks pretty interesting).
Terrible might be an exaggeration but definitely uninspired...  Even Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown... just meh.

Probably the worst black mark on his resume is something that didn't happen, but trading up for Justice Winslow would have been a disaster.  And Josh Jackson seems in a similar mold.

I think part of it has to deal with the fact that the Celtics aren't really rebuilding in a traditional way so it doesn't appear that any of the picks are living up to the expectations, but will Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and any of the picks above be anything more than just a role player?  Jaylen has a lot of promise and I don't have many issues with that pick, but it seems like all of these picks have netted nothing but role players.  I'm not going to speak to any of the Euro players since I havent seen any of them play in the NBA yet. 

I think a lot of it has to deal with the Celtics being really good and still contending this year.  Also, if the celtics dont trade the 3 and take jackson, then what was the point of taking brown last year?

Not to mention over a two draft span they drafted like 10 guards.

Last edited:
Why is it brought up that PG13 shares the same agent as D.Lo and Randle and that means the agent wants in hin LA? Why would the agent care, wouldn't he just want the most money?

Have tons of hours on film of the guy looking impressive in actual basketball games.

Pass on him because of one unimpressive workout.

They probably weren't sold on him before that.

He has legit concerns. It looks nice but sometimes if you're living off a steady diet of contested midrange jumper and acrobatic contested layups, it doesn't work as well against bigger NBA athletes. His nonchalant attitude is another knock. I had the same worries about Kyrie though. Some guys are so good it doesn't matter.
Check your PM.

Terrible might be an exaggeration but definitely uninspired...  Even Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown... just meh.

Probably the worst black mark on his resume is something that didn't happen, but trading up for Justice Winslow would have been a disaster.  And Josh Jackson seems in a similar mold.

I think part of it has to deal with the fact that the Celtics aren't really rebuilding in a traditional way so it doesn't appear that any of the picks are living up to the expectations, but will Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and any of the picks above be anything more than just a role player?  Jaylen has a lot of promise and I don't have many issues with that pick, but it seems like all of these picks have netted nothing but role players.  I'm not going to speak to any of the Euro players since I havent seen any of them play in the NBA yet. 

I think a lot of it has to deal with the Celtics being really good and still contending this year.  Also, if the celtics dont trade the 3 and take jackson, then what was the point of taking brown last year?
I think Marcus Smart is going to end up being a really good role player for a long time. His shooting leaves A LOT to be desired, but he's already one of the best defenders in the NBA. The only other realistic option to take over him at the time was Julius Randle. They seem to basically be a wash.

I am very confident that Jaylen Brown is going to be better than everyone drafted after him, and after one season, has shown to be better than Brandon Ingram in every facet of the game. With the way the league is going, having a bunch of 6'8" 2-way players is basically the way the league is going. I would have zero issue with having both Jaylen and Josh Jackson. We talked about this yesterday though. If you were the Spurs, wouldn't you rather have Kawhi and Paul George instead of Kawhi and LaMarcus Aldridge?

With where Ainge has been making his picks, you just can't expect to net high level starters.

Last edited:
Why is it brought up that PG13 shares the same agent as D.Lo and Randle and that means the agent wants in hin LA? Why would the agent care, wouldn't he just want the most money?

Agents usually like to keep all their clients happy. In this scenario I don't think moving the 2 kids for another guy is the move especially when it's unnecessary. Could have ramifications and kill any potential deal.

I think Marcus Smart is going to end up being a really good role player for a long time. His shooting leaves A LOT to be desired, but he's already one of the best defenders in the NBA. The only other realistic option to take over him at the time was Julius Randle. They seem to basically be a wash.

I am very confident that Jaylen Brown is going to be better than everyone drafted after him, and after one season, has shown to be better than Brandon Ingram in every facet of the game. With the way the league is going, having a bunch of 6'8" 2-way players is basically the way the league is going. I would have zero issue with having both Jaylen and Josh Jackson. We talked about this yesterday though. If you were the Spurs, wouldn't you rather have Kawhi and Paul George instead of Kawhi and LaMarcus Aldridge?

With where Ainge has been making his picks, you just can't expect to net high level starters.
I don't disagree at all.  I think Jaylen is going to be good, I just dont understand the point of trading down to take a guy who is going to play a lot like him.  Smart is really good defensively, but he needs to work harder on his offensive game to be a consistent start in this league and at 6, that is kind of what you are expecting to pick, a starter.

But statistically speaking, given the amount of picks that he has had over the last 3 years, he should have hit on at least one solid starter which he currently has not done.  

He has had a huge number of draft assets and he's only gotten role players.  I think that's an issue for the team.  Maybe the draft position hasn't been amazing but overall if you're spending these 5 years accruing assets to acquire role players and you have no stars, that's an indictment of your overall strategy.

I don't think Smart and Jaylen are bad, they're just not special.

Last edited:
I don't disagree at all.  I think Jaylen is going to be good, I just dont understand the point of trading down to take a guy who is going to play a lot like him.  Smart is really good defensively, but he needs to work harder on his offensive game to be a consistent start in this league and at 6, that is kind of what you are expecting to pick, a starter.

But statistically speaking, given the amount of picks that he has had over the last 3 years, he should have hit on at least one solid starter which he currently has not done.  

He has had a huge number of draft assets and he's only gotten role players.  I think that's an issue for the team.  Maybe the draft position hasn't been amazing but overall if you're spending these 5 years accruing assets to acquire role players and you have no stars, that's an indictment of your overall strategy.

I don't think Smart and Jaylen are bad, they're just not special.
You guys need to realize that we are a conference finals team. We aren't the Nets, Lakers, Kings, Sixers, etc. Jaylen Brown is easily starting for those teams, and he will start for us one day. Smart already plays starter minutes (30MPG) for a conference finalist. If Terry Rozier were playing for one of those bad teams, he'd getting more minutes he would be thought of differently. Instead he's playing behind the 3rd leading scorer in the league and one of the best 3 and D guards in the league.

The majority of the picks that Ainge has acquired that were considered the major assets really started to come into play last year and now going into the future. Last year they got 2 guys that project to be starters. If they hold onto their pick this year, they'll get another one. Next year they could get 2. So on and so forth...

Could the Garnett and co. trade to the Nets be the worst trade in NBA history?

I legit feel bad for the Nets franchise. :smh:

You guys need to realize that we are a conference finals team. We aren't the Nets, Lakers, Kings, Sixers, etc. Jaylen Brown is easily starting for those teams, and he will start for us one day. Smart already plays starter minutes (30MPG) for a conference finalist. If Terry Rozier were playing for one of those bad teams, he'd getting more minutes he would be thought of differently. Instead he's playing behind the 3rd leading scorer in the league and one of the best 3 and D guards in the league.

The majority of the picks that Ainge has acquired that were considered the major assets really started to come into play last year and now going into the future. Last year they got 2 guys that project to be starters. If they hold onto their pick this year, they'll get another one. Next year they could get 2. So on and so forth...
This is what I am basically saying.  I think the perception is much worse because Boston is really good so it doesnt seem like a lot of these picks are contributing.  It also calls into question how much these guys are going to grow though given that they will be bench players for awhile.

realistically they should start trading some of these assets for all-stars and make a real run at it.  At this point they are good enough to compete but not at the level to win.

Last edited:

That's fair, but they just moved out of the position to get a star again.  And while they're a conference finals team, we all know they were a paper tiger in that series and were miles away from competing with Cleveland or contending for a championship.

Let's say they draft Jackson and he ends up being just a fine player.  At what point does it become a concern?

Then again they could go the complete opposite way and try to get Hayward and Butler and start cashing in those assets.  Which would be interesting, but not good enough IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom