The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

For me, my motivation is -- I want more gear

More gear costs money

I make money for gear by doing photoshoots

I get inquiries for photoshoots by posting on social media

I get content for social media by doing shoots

For me, its just a never ending cycle
laugh.gif
For me it's actually the opposite lol. I look at my bag full of expensive *** gear and kick myself for not using it. Motivates me to get out and find somewhere cool to shoot.

As far as what I do to stay motivated...I like to browse 500px and find new local spots to check out. I also like to hit the same handful of spots over and over and over again and see how the weather, time of day, time of year, etc. impacts what I'm able to capture. Hell, I've been out at Mt. Tam at least once a week for the past 7 weeks, and that's a 3-4 hour round trip drive 
laugh.gif

I never force it though. If I'm really not feeling going out and shooting, then I won't. I do this as a hobby and a way to unwind, so the minute it stops being fun I'll take a break for a little while. 

Couple more pictures from yesterday's sunrise:

^^^^Nice.

I am with you man. My fiancee has been hounding for us to take pics for our engagement and ever since she has, it's made this hobby of mine such a pain. Like I will want to rent a lens and she acts like we are going to just shoot pics of us the whole day when I don't want to. I tell her all the time that photographers are never in the damn photo. Haha. This is why I would never do this as a job though. I get burnt just thinking about doing it as a job for clients.

Man I need to get out and shoot. Ever since I got my 70-200 I've used it twice and it's been sitting in the box for 3 weeks now. :smh: I'm just lazy to drive and don't want to deal with the cold weather. I don't know how you drive up to Mount Tam so often bjamez20 bjamez20 but your shots are always killer! Going up there yet during the sun rise that early in the morning [emoji]128564[/emoji]

Anyways I took this image and thought it was a throw away since the focus isn't where I want it to be. It isn't the ideal pic but the edit didn't come out so bad.

Before:

width

After:

How do you guys choose on what dimensions to crop? Do you just crop until it 'looks right', or is there a specific size you want it to be?

^ depends on the subject - some things just suit a square and other things look better a bit wider...

Also depends what I'm going to do with it - if I'm getting it printed it depends a bit on what is possible!

^^^Damn....where is that? That looks great and would be even better if there was a person in the foreground.

any Lightroom tutorial recommendations :nerd:

working on a list of videos to do.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

How to adjust curves and what not. I use a a preset due to the fact I d9nt really know how to properly use curves. I can do a faded film look though haha

I'll post a couple more tonight!

I'm also putting together the works for my youtube channel!!! I'm really excited.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be some of my first guinea pigs on website / portfolio critiques, reply with your website.

We gon' do it big in 2017, people!!!! :evil: :evil: :pimp:

I'll bite. Long time lurker and have to admit haven't been shooting as much since graduating and starting a fulltime job :lol:

Will probably be updating with newer content in the next few days.

http://www.josefbautista.com/

I'll post a couple more tonight!

I'm also putting together the works for my youtube channel!!! I'm really excited.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be some of my first guinea pigs on website / portfolio critiques, reply with your website.

We gon' do it big in 2017, people!!!! :evil: :evil: :pimp:

I'll bite. Long time lurker and have to admit haven't been shooting as much since graduating and starting a fulltime job :lol:

Will probably be updating with newer content in the next few days.

http://www.josefbautista.com/

Bookmarked and i will definitely do it.

Checked it out and noticed squarespace :pimp:

BTW i love your editing style.

remy remy Thank you man!

Here's another before/after. It's a tight crop mainly because I wanted to get rid of the people. Turns out to be the perfect size for a lock/home screen wallpaper. The full res is on my flickr page if anyone is interested.

Before:
width

Last edited:
Bookmarked and i will definitely do it.

Checked it out and noticed squarespace :pimp:

BTW i love your editing style.

Appreciate that! Any and all feedback is great.

Just started following you on IG
Your college memory shots had me feeling all sorts of ways lol

:lol: appreciate that man. got that response from alot of people when those were posted. whats your ig?

Appreciate that! Any and all feedback is great.
laugh.gif
appreciate that man. got that response from alot of people when those were posted. whats your ig?
IG: djjawnjahminyoubad 

Pretty much all sneaker shots lately 

^^^Nice. Where in the heck is that first rooftop?

Also what are you shooting with on those? They all look like 50mms. Why do mine never look like that!

I just got the 70-200mm from borrowlens. Trying to go shoot some protests today but the rain makes it a pain. Honestly after not shooting it for a while, I don't really like it. Shooting at f/2.8 oddly hard to do.

^^^Nice. Where in the heck is that first rooftop?

Also what are you shooting with on those? They all look like 50mms. Why do mine never look like that!

I just got the 70-200mm from borrowlens. Trying to go shoot some protests today but the rain makes it a pain. Honestly after not shooting it for a while, I don't really like it. Shooting at f/2.8 oddly hard to do.
Clock tower building in SOMA, pain in the *** rooftop honestly. First attempt solo got lost and apparently someone called the cops cause a squad car pulled up as I had already given up and was chilling in my car across the street. Went back a second time with someone who had already been there and the last time I was there was for that shoot, which I barely remembered how to get back up and that latter happened to be there and it wasn't there before.

Yeah those are all w/ the 50mm 1.8 stm my only lens at the moment after dropping my 24-105 f4 at taft point in Yose a while back.

Got me digging through my hard drive since I never edited the shots from the second attempt at the rooftop so I just did some quick edits now;

Back
Top Bottom