The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I can’t believe that I only just found out about the lightroom cropping options - when you click the crop tool if you press o then it cycles through the rule of thirds, golden ratio, diagonal etc - really useful for looking at your composition.

Any recommendations on a full-frame DSLR? Still have the Fuji XT-2 on the radar, but thinking of saving up for a DSLR again.

Any recommendations on a full-frame DSLR? Still have the Fuji XT-2 on the radar, but thinking of saving up for a DSLR again.

The XT-2 is dope. I'm a total mirrorless convert at this point. I have nothing but great things to say about Sony's lineup. If video is a factor for you I would stay away from Canon and Nikon. I swapped my 5d Mark 4 for an a7r II and couldn't be happier.

So I’m planning on heading to California for about 4 days and I’m going to drive down the PCH from San Francisco to San Diego then fly back home. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while and I was hoping my fellow NT photographers can recommend some place along the PCH to shoot. I don’t wanna drive inland too much but if it’s worth the visit then I might consider it.

Appreciate it all the info

^^^^^Peep this link. This seems informative anyways. Definitely go to Big Sur and Bixby Bridge. Also check out Shark Fin cove and Point Bonita Lighthouse.

https://californiathroughmylens.com/pacific-coast-highway-stops

And saw this on Fstoppers. Interesting conversation of How Much Photoshop is Too Much. I think a lot of Instagrammers are guilty of a lot of this stuff. Sort of makes photos so fake that it's not credible.

^^^^^Peep this link. This seems informative anyways. Definitely go to Big Sur and Bixby Bridge. Also check out Shark Fin cove and Point Bonita Lighthouse.

And saw this on Fstoppers. Interesting conversation of How Much Photoshop is Too Much. I think a lot of Instagrammers are guilty of a lot of this stuff. Sort of makes photos so fake that it's not credible.

I used to be really bad with the post processing OD. Over the years I’ve learned that less is more.

On another note, so at this moment I have an A7 & A7ii, was thinking of adding an RX100 (mark iii & up) as a “sidearm” for when my camera is in the bag and can’t get it out the bag fast enough.

Any thoughts? I originall had an a6000 in mind to use as a camera to mess around with....but adding crop lenses wouldn’t make sense to me.

[kendrick voice] I'm so ****ing sick and tired of the Photoshop [/kendrick voice]

Haha. Actually, I think that style of photoshop is fine. I am more or less talking about someone taking a photo of something and just flat out manipulating it.

Like a photo like this. Like adding a background to something that wasn't even there. It's just not....real. At least composite something that was there but not from a totally different photo in general. I had no idea how many people do this i.e. adding any milky way photos to areas that would never be able to see it.

how-photographers-photoshop-their-images-landscape-photography-peter-stewart-22b.jpg

Appreciate the tip bro!

^^^You shot it all by yourself? Man.....props to you if so. That is a hard thing. Nice job though. Seems like you utilized your ISO since I assume you didn't shoot flash. Keep it up.

^^^You shot it all by yourself? Man.....props to you if so. That is a hard thing. Nice job though. Seems like you utilized your ISO since I assume you didn't shoot flash. Keep it up.
Appreciate it, but nah it wasn't just me. A couple other friends of mine were helping as well, but one was mainly doing video.

I packed my flash but totally forgot about it smh, but I'd say they turned out pretty decent for not using one tbh

Haha. Actually, I think that style of photoshop is fine. I am more or less talking about someone taking a photo of something and just flat out manipulating it.

Like a photo like this. Like adding a background to something that wasn't even there. It's just not....real. At least composite something that was there but not from a totally different photo in general. I had no idea how many people do this i.e. adding any milky way photos to areas that would never be able to see it.

how-photographers-photoshop-their-images-landscape-photography-peter-stewart-22b.jpg

this discussion (its almost 40 minutes tho) touches on the ethics/issue of compositing...i think it is all fair game outside of journalism, even there i think there could be some situations where editing (not compositing tho) an image might more clearly make a point/tell a particular story...

I actually posted that up above but yeah, a good conversation anyways and something that general photographers should listen to. I think we live in a pretty different world with photography where there aren't any rules and ethics in creating a photo.

I can’t believe that I only just found out about the lightroom cropping options - when you click the crop tool if you press o then it cycles through the rule of thirds, golden ratio, diagonal etc - really useful for looking at your composition.

Wow I never knew this either. Thanks for putting me on!

I'm finally upgrading to the 5DMK3 tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice man. Wait....what were you shooting with before?

I've been super lazy in shooting. It's been almost a month now. Haha. I need to get back out and get inspired. I lost the fire as of late.

Nice man. Wait....what were you shooting with before?

I've been super lazy in shooting. It's been almost a month now. Haha. I need to get back out and get inspired. I lost the fire as of late.

Thanks Fong! I've had a 6d for almost 4 years now. I found a sweet deal on a lightly used 5d with 5.5k on the shutter. Lady had it for about a year and she's selling it with a 50mm 1.8. Now I just need to get rid of my 6d.

Hope you got the whole job situation sorted out! Better things are coming your way!

^^^^Nice man. Weird....honestly I am not even sure what the big difference is with a 5D3 vs a 6D and had to look it up: https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/canon-6d-vs-5d-mark-iii/

The big difference that I knew of is the auto focus. You'll definitely track moving things better. Then the other pros are just things that make it a better overall camera from the flash sync, shutter speeds, dual card slots, etc. You made a good choice cause I think the Mark 3 will just last longer in the long run but it's sort of a subtle upgrade. I guess though when you are dealing with camera bodies, these small difference make a huge difference. Like the Canon 1DX is all about autofocus and FPS. With those two things being so fast, it's like thousands of dollars more expensive than the Mark 3.

Anyways....you should go to a track. Test some drifting shots. That'd be dope.

Thanks! The main reason why I got it was for all the auto focus points. I've had too many shots where the focus was missed and I couldn't take it anymore. I was dabbling into some focus videos on youtube and I'm already overwhelmed with all of the options lol. Definitely going to take some time getting used to it as well as all the other features. I've tried a few panning shots with my 6d but they've always come out blurry so now with this I'll be able to get a lot more shots that are crispier. Not only that but rolling shots lawdddd those will be fun. They're dangerous but when you get the shot at the right angle that is definitely worth it.

This purchase came just in time for a shoot I got coming up in a couple weeks. Shooting 4 M2's and 2 M3's in napa so that should be exciting! I would like go to a track just annoying how I have to be on the sidelines and can't really go in the garages depending on the event.

5d came with the 50mm of which I have no use for.
6D is for sale along with the 50mm.

Need to watch youtube videos on how to bring out the full potential of this thing now. I'm so hyped!

# of clicks on the 6d?

hey guys. i got an sd card with some footage that is un-readable. it looks like the slits on the back around a bit damaged but the card is fine (no crack or water damage or anything)

anyone know of any services that might be able to salvage the footage/pics on there? dont mind if the sd card gets taken apart, etc in the process.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom