The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Yep and I believe the largest aperture setting he could have used is about f/11
Which confuses me. The 500L is f/5.6, and each TC is a one stop loss. Why is it that you lose a whole stop with the 1.4x TC and the same one stop with the 2.0x TC. Is that just because they don't want to say f/10.xxxx?

Anyone wanna loan me $2,500?
nerd.gif

canon_06.JPG

Currently on eBay.

Originally Posted by novaflight

nice lokiD40! I didn't think there were any lomo heads in here. I'm into lomograpghy too!

Thanks man...if you use CS3/CS4...shoot me a PM and I can hook you up w/an action.  peace.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Planning to sell my 50mm 1.8 and upgrade to 1.4.

coo...are you shooting full frame or DX? I did the same...sold it for $100 via craigslist and bought a 35mm 1.8 to mimic a full frame equivalent of a 50mm shot....love it!

35mm_f18G_02.jpg

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

nerd.gif

canon_06.JPG

Currently on eBay.

Yo....is this a good camera or something? I am almost 99.9% positive that my cousin has this camera lying around his house. I have to talk to him about it now.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

nerd.gif

canon_06.JPG

Currently on eBay.

Yo....is this a good camera or something? I am almost 99.9% positive that my cousin has this camera lying around his house. I have to talk to him about it now.
nerd.gif
 someone please drop some knowledge on the cam^^^

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

^Personally if I'm going big money for a rangefinder, I'm going Leica, but thats big $$$
Rangefinder? Huh?

The Canon 7 is a rangefinder, and the 0.95 is mounted on the 7

First time in a while I'm learning something new about photography. School me on rangefinders, AirPhillipines. It looks like it shoots photos-- what makes it different?

I need help my girl birthday is coming up in May and she wants a digital SRL type of camera? Which ones are good?

Budget is probably 400 max

Originally Posted by uhnoppe

is 225 for a nikon d70 body a good deal?

check your local camera shops (the ones that have consignment)....and when I say local store...not a Ritz Camera!! 
my local shop has a d80 for $300 ....i think this is more of a good/great deal than the d70 for 225.  Also, check the exif to see how many total actuations the camera has.

alot of people don't care about this, but if buying used....i'd rather buy a camera with 7000 vs 15000+ actuations.  Hope this helps...peace

^Personally if I'm going big money for a rangefinder, I'm going Leica, but thats big $$$
Rangefinder? Huh?

The Canon 7 is a rangefinder, and the 0.95 is mounted on the 7

First time in a while I'm learning something new about photography. School me on rangefinders, AirPhillipines. It looks like it shoots photos-- what makes it different?
I know a little bit because of my Leica infatuation with street photography but here are some things I found online.
A rangefinder camera is a camera fitted with a rangefinder:a range-finding focusing mechanism allowing the photographer to measurethe subject distance and take photographs that are in sharp focus. Mostvarieties of rangefinder show two images of the same subject, one ofwhich moves when a calibrated wheel is turned; when the two imagescoincide and fuse into one, the distance can be read off the wheel.Older, non-coupled rangefinder cameras display the focusing distanceand require the photographer to transfer the value to the lens focusring
So basically I'd assume the camera's viewfinder looks like this while composing the image. Un-focused on the left, focused on the right
800px-Rangefinder_window.jpg

Basically from what I understand, there were rangefinder wars before just like there are dslr wars now with Leica's M series, Zeiss' Ikon, Nikon SP, and Canon 7. Then with the introduction of the SLR's rangefinders became a sort of niche market.

Rangefinders are really popular with street photographers such as Henri-Cartier Bresson because they look relatively unassuming compared to a dslr, and they allow the photographer to focus on the composition of the image more clearly (as some say). As far as I know they are quieter because they don't have a mirror slap that slr's do, adding to their discreet factor

Today I know Leica recently came out with the newest iteration of there M-series rangefinders, the M9. It's basically a FF rangefinder, and here it is mounted with a 0.95 noctilux
4216918775_18ed7dcbe4_b.jpg

So basically you just look through that window on the left of the camera (even though on the canon 7 I hear the 0.95 is a bit in the way), compose your image (you can see what will be outside your image frame too, due to the rangefinder lines 28mm,35mm,50mm, etc) and fire.

Back
Top Bottom