To My IT Famb

Computer Engineering major come this June

Going to take the FE Exam this October and I want to have A+/Network+/Security+ come this year

CS is less cert based anyway. Well depending on what you plan on doing
I wont be a programer 
wink.gif
. I want to be a project manager and get my PMP , Six Sigma , CCIE , etc . The way that these universities shove programming down CS majors throats is sickening. Its just their way of justifying lazy "teaching". You can do ANYTHING you want to do with a CS major dont let these people fool you.

Wow there's lync consulting jobs?

Hells Yea! I was a Cisco voice consultant but Microsoft Lync is gaining customers fast. It is a better Unified Communications solution than the Cisco UC suite so I decided to switch sides and bet my career on it. I have no doubt I made the right choice. My guess is over the years there will be more demand for Lync from companies which will equal more demand for Lync jobs. There is def a Lync skill shortage in the market now. I 100% intend to be making 6 figures within the next 5 years. Anyhow I love Lync and could go on all day about it.

Wow there's lync consulting jobs?
Consulting is where it's at bro. I work for a consulting firm and we are only growing. I personally am not a consultant (I work as a Sys Admin of our national operations), but they are always working on cutting edge projects and have great perks. And from a $ perspective, I make 6 figures (not boasting) and a LOT of our consultants make more money than me. If you are young, not scared to travel, and an expert at particular technology (MS Lync, SharePoint, Tableau, Peoplesoft, etc.) you should be a consultant.

Last edited:
Consulting is where it's at bro. I work for a consulting firm and we are only growing. I personally am not a consultant (I work as a Sys Admin of our national operations), but they are always working on cutting edge projects and have great perks. And from a $ perspective, I make 6 figures (not boasting) and a LOT of our consultants make more money than me. If you are young, not scared to travel, and an expert at particular technology (MS Lync, SharePoint, Tableau, Peoplesoft, etc.) you should be a consultant.

How old are you and how many years of IT experience do you have? I am trying to get into the 6 figure club ASAP.

IT fambs, I'm finna take this A+ 701 joint next week. Any tips or anything you can share to help a young brotha out?
Passed 701 on Friday. 100 questions. Know about the printers, ip classes, troubleshooting theory, operating systems and features, etc.

Hells Yea! I was a Cisco voice consultant but Microsoft Lync is gaining customers fast. It is a better Unified Communications solution than the Cisco UC suite so I decided to switch sides and bet my career on it. I have no doubt I made the right choice. My guess is over the years there will be more demand for Lync from companies which will equal more demand for Lync jobs. There is def a Lync skill shortage in the market now. I 100% intend to be making 6 figures within the next 5 years. Anyhow I love Lync and could go on all day about it.
LYNC is really good. I really like it but the licensing is killer when you factor in Exchange and the underlying infrastructure to support it.

LYNC is gaining customers because Cisco's prices are insane.

Any recommended material for lync?

This is the bane of my existence. For Lync 2013 there is no comprehensive book or guide that breaks down Lync from top to bottom. I have been studying to get certified and it is a headache. Lync is relatively new so there aren't many books (I only know of two) out on it. The best advice I can give you is to go to technet and just start reading. I am starting a blog to try and help solve this problem. I will be aggregating links on various subjects so that you don't have to jump around the Internet trying to learn everything.

just got an entry level php dev job at a funded startup here in SF. I start tomorrow and am anxious as all hell...

This is the bane of my existence. For Lync 2013 there is no comprehensive book or guide that breaks down Lync from top to bottom. I have been studying to get certified and it is a headache. Lync is relatively new so there aren't many books (I only know of two) out on it. The best advice I can give you is to go to technet and just start reading. I am starting a blog to try and help solve this problem. I will be aggregating links on various subjects so that you don't have to jump around the Internet trying to learn everything.
I like the fuctionality of Lync, but it is a B**** to set up. There isn't just one way to do it and usually the people who have set it up only know their way to do it so it's hard to get support. I admin it and I am hella worried about our Lync 2010 to 2013 migration this year ESPECIALLY since our business depends on it so much (has almost made our phones obsolete). Hopefully MS finds a way to streamline it better bc I don't understand how gchat and skype are so easy to use, but Lync has to be such a pain in the ***. I'll be at TechEd 2013 this year so I plan on touching base with some MS reps to ask them this question...

IMO I would skip every CompTIA cert except Network+. Everything else they do just isn't difficult enough to be reputable. I would recommend just doing Net+-->CCNA if you like networking or Net+-->MS Certs (whatever field you like whether it be Sys Admin, DBA, Sharepoint, etc.) Anybody who says they have an A+ or Sec+ I just say "And...?" And I have taken all the tests...

Exactly what I was tryna tell them. Ive had the A+ cert since I was 16 (20 now) hasnt helped me land any good internships. All of the interviewers just say "ehh okay you have an A+ cery very basic" . Its not worth the money get a better cert MS,Cisco,VMware, etc anything but Comptia.

What good certs are affordable for a college student? (Less than $500 )

naw b, sec+ is where it's at right now....i have a 'mentor' type person in the industry.  i have my a+, net+, working on my CCNA and she told me the first thing i need to do is get my security cert because that'll open a lot of previously closed doors.

naw b, sec+ is where it's at right now....i have a 'mentor' type person in the industry.  i have my a+, net+, working on my CCNA and she told me the first thing i need to do is get my security cert because that'll open a lot of previously closed doors.
It depends on what part of the country you live in.

Security+ is easy to pass like the rest of the Comptia exams.

ForeRunnerADL what do you think about Security+ for the DC area? Trying to land an internship with DoD ,Northrop Grumman, or Booz Allen. If its worth it ill work on the Security+ cert this summer.

Last edited:
Any recommended material for lync?

Real opportunity here for you to get some material out there and be an early leading voice.

ForeRunnerADL what do you think about Security+ for the DC area? Trying to land an internship with DoD ,Northrop Grumman, or Booz Allen. If its worth it ill work on the Security+ cert this summer.
Security+ is good for you. I'd also suggest the Linux+ exam.

Back
Top Bottom