What’s it like to work at stockX? I quit after 1 day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: I was hired at a new warehouse they opened in New Jersey. Not the Detroit headquarters, which I assume is more professional and organized.

Job title: Sneaker Authenticator

Pay: $18/hr

Hours: 8am-6pm Mon-Fri

The story:

I relocated to New Jersey to start a career at stockX. I woke up Monday morning with high hopes. Motivated and ready to begin a new chapter of my life. My excitement didn’t last long.

Within 5 minutes of walking in the building, I was handed a box cutter and put to work. No orientation. I quickly realized that this was a sneaker plantation. That’s the best way to describe this hell hole. Modern day slavery.

UPS drops off shipment in the morning. The mission is to process shipment and get it out the door by the end of the day. By any means possible. I worked from 8am-8pm on my first day. By 6, I was on the verge of tears. What did I get myself into? It wears you out mentally and physically.

It’s basically an assembly line. Each person has a station. You cut open box after box after box, until your mind goes numb and you become a human robot. They blast music all day to make it more bearable, but by 3pm I wanted to rip my ears out. The only decent song they played was ruff ryders anthem.

Now to the best part. Sneaker authenticating. That process blew my mind. You are expected to authenticate 55 shoes per hour! That’s basically 1 shoe per minute. These guys are machines. They quickly examine the shoe, check the bottoms and inside to make sure its not worn, sniff it, and put the green tag on it. They work at such a rapid pace that there’s NO WAY they can do their job to the fullest. So many fakes and worn shoes must slip through the cracks. I couldn’t picture myself doing that for 50 hours a week. I’d go insane.

The main problem is they were severely understaffed. They need to hire 200 new people to handle that kind of workload. It’s a 55,000 sq ft warehouse and they had 40 employees working. It’s just not a healthy work environment.

Management is heartless. I’m not asking to be pampered, but I certainly didn’t feel welcomed. My coworkers were arrogant and unfriendly. Imagine a bunch of clowns that only rock off whites or yeezy’s. I think I had one or two decent conversations all day. The only cool dude was a guy who cleaned up all the cardboard/garbage. My guy had on dress shoes with holes. I was ready to go in my trunk and give him a pair of French Blue 12’s, but he didn’t wear my size.

By time my day finished at 8:30, I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I sobbed in my car. Call me soft or weak, but it was truly a sneaker hell. I don’t know how these people can work in that environment. For my sanity, I had to get out.

I didn’t expect the job to be fun. I did think it would be a cool experience. I was dead wrong.

I’m trying to think of positives, and I can’t. You would think you would come across some rare/dope kicks. 80% of the shoes are off whites, retro 1’s, and yeezy’s. So many yeezy’s. I wanted to vomit at the sight of a 350 box.

I wanted to stay strong and give it a chance, but I knew this wasn’t for me. The routine never changes. Same thing, everyday. My decision was made.

Just thought I would share/vent. I hope somebody reads all of that. I wish I had video of the authenticating process. It was unreal to watch. I’d be tempted to sell them fakes just to see if one of these guys catches it. It’s worth it considering how quickly they operate.

Last edited:
30. I’m feeling the pressure of finding a career I’m content with. I thought this job was my calling. Obviously it was not.
so it was a confluence of life circumstances that led to your breakdown? i can dig that and hope it gets better man.

besides the crying, the only other surprising thing was that i had no idea they did that kind of volume. is there a template or a cheat sheet they have that you use to authenticate?

so it was a confluence of life circumstances that led to your breakdown? i can dig that and hope it gets better man.

besides the crying, the only other surprising thing was that i had no idea they did that kind of volume. is there a template or a cheat sheet they have that you use to authenticate?

You hit the nail on the head. It was the job, but also my life predicament. A waterfall of emotions.

Not really . Some of the guys gave me pointers. Smell is a dead giveaway. A lot of shoes have a distinct smell. Also the box.

Stock x called me for an interview at that nj warehouse, as I was about to leave some emergency came up with my little sister and I had to flake on them

Guess that was god telling me to not work for them lmfao

Hope you find a better job dude, I’m searching myself

Last edited:
Stock x called me for an interview at that nj warehouse, as I was about to leave some emergency came up with my little sister and I had to flake on them

Guess that was god telling me to not work for them lmfao

Hope you find a better job dude, I’m searching myself

You should try it out. If you live in the area, what’s there to lose? I’d be super interested to see if your experience was similar to mine. Who knows. You might think it’s tolerable.

Thanks for sharing your story
Feel like working with shoes would be a dream job but yea that sounds horrible.
Never knew they moved so much inventory.
I keep hearing worst and worst stories about them.
Keep your head high
Something good will come

Thanks for sharing your story
Feel like working with shoes would be a dream job but yea that sounds horrible.
Never knew they moved so much inventory.
I keep hearing worst and worst stories about them.
Keep your head high
Something good will come

Thanks for the support.

Every shoe that gets sold on the east coast gets sent to New Jersey. It’s crazy. If they had more employees, the job would be much more bearable.

I thought I would come in on Monday with a bunch of other new guys. That we would have an orientation and shadow some of the workers. You know, a typical 1st day.

Somebody needs to go undercover and video a full day at this warehouse. It would open a lot of eyes.

not throwing shade but man you getting to that age where quitting a job and not having another lined up is not the move. By 30 you have to have some real obligations to account for.

I stick by the rule by keeping a job until you can find another. Job gaps in your resume don't look good.

If you know you going to quit than don't work yourself hard slack off somewhere during the day

But good luck on your next job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom