What is your relationship with your father like?

My father is my best friend! Very good relationship! Thank you for everthing pops!!!!

Never liked him even though he did his fatherly duties.. We just don't know eachother smh and we lived in the same home

Originally Posted by kickzrforme

I don't know what I would have done without my dad. He has been so instrumental in my upbringing and has put s much on the line for my family for so we can succeed. Sometime I feel so fortunate to have him in my life since I know there's so many deadbeat dads out there.

Not as great as I wish it would be, but I don't blame him.

He got a job overseas a couple years ago, so he spends a lot of time in China. He'll fly back every 2-3 months and stay for a week or so. We talk sparingly, over e-mail and stuff tho.

I held a lot of contempt for my father in my younger years, and a lot of that was due to my mother shaping my thinking and making me believe his contributions weren't worthwhile. As a kid, I hated talking to him and would always try to avoid it. I thought he only sent what he had to because of the courts, and my mom painted a very inaccurate picture of their life as a married couple so that she would feel less guilty about her own mistakes. He'd call and she wouldn't tell me, he'd send money and she'd keep it for herself.

I eventually found out that he not only went above and beyond what his expectations were to provide for me, but he also had to stand idly by while my mother used his hard-earned money for her party and social habits. He was sending more than he had to for child support, would send me all the "major" gifts come christmas/birthday time (PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, etc.) Not only that, but whenever I visited he would often be left with the tab because my mom would have "something come up" and she'd be tight on money. I eventually got wise to her game, started asking for financial info, and ever since then our relationship has been kind of awkward because she knows I realize she used me as a paycheck.

Over the past few years I've been doing my best to make up for years lost with my dad, though. I call him regularly now, I try to visit whenever I can, and we've even sparked a few up to talk about my feelings during that time of my adolescence, his perspective, and everything.
pimp.gif
He's a really smart guy, and each day I realize how lucky I am to have him as a father.

Greatful that he's in my life but we argue constantly. I'm 16 now but when my brother an sisters and I were younger he was a worse father figure... I remember times when he would arrive home from work mad and he would take out his anger on us... I remember one time I had my cd player and game boy under my pillow (as a kid I always slept with my things under my pillow, idk why)

Well one night he checked and saw them there. He got pissed and threw both at the wall. Scared the %*%+ out of me and broke both. He wasn't very religious back then... He would get mad at us whenever we didn't focus on praying with our mother.. Mean time he would be closed up in his room watching tv. He would constantly hit us at the small things we did that he didn't like... Now that I look back I really wish he was a different guy. I hear about these other kids with the best parents/dad ever while I sit here thinking about the times where mine should have reacted differently to his situations.

He used to drink a lot which would just aggravate him even more.
We were ways financially stable... Never really had any problems with money which makes me wonder why we couldn't get things we asked for on Christmas or birthdays... The only things I remember receiving from him was a game boy color, game boy sp.... That's about it.

It wasn't until my grand father passed away (around 5 years ago) that he became religious person.. And now he tries to make me do things within the church that i don't want to do like going on youth retreats... Everytime he does things like that I think about how hypocritical he is when it comes to religion. Even now he doesn't exactly follow gods word. I starte working at 14 and he's taught me a lot of what I know I guess... I only work beside him once a week...

As I said before I'm Greatful that I've had him as a father figure but I wish I could re live my past with a better father figure.. But that's never gonna happen.

Just my 2 cents....

It's good, always been good, even though some #@!% has happened I was the only one of his kids that kept in contact with him.
He was cheating on my mom a couple years ago and she found out, confronted the lady, she wanted to kill her but when she got there she just felt bad because she collapsed at the door and started crying telling her to please forgive her, she felt bad for her and she felt horrible for the thought of beating somebody came across her mind.

She confronted my pops, a fight ensued, she punches him in the eye, I was trying to break it up but couldn't, then I heard my mom scream, turns out he hit her and got her in a chokehold, his workers were trying to pull them apart but I pushed them aside and decked my dad straight in the nose, he fell and sat there on the ground looking at me in disbelief then he got up and just walked away and sat in his truck for a couple hours.

I didn't talk to him for a month after that but when we finally sat down and talked about it I apologized and told him that I could've handled the situation better, he told me not to apologize that he was in the wrong for ever laying a hand on a woman and he had it coming.

Yeah we've been through some #@!%, but he's still my pops, he's always been in my life and worked hard to give us the stuff we have today.

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

It's weird. I can't really explain it. Let's just say I love him but there are quite a few things about him I don't like. He's been there all my life but at times it's like he's not there at all.

But on a overall basis...he's a decent dude.

Growing up, my old man was my hero. He taught me a lot. He was always busy planting seeds tho....found out when I got older and we quit talking for 3 years until recently. I missed him a lot and realized life is too short to be mad at him for his bad judgement. I only get one father, I wanted to appreciate that.

We were real close when i was younger but i went through that "i like to be alone" stage so now we barely talk, Hi and small talk kind of awkward. Trying to get back to where we used to be.

I love my pops. My parents divorced when I was 10 (about 12 years ago) and it seemed like I gained a better relationship with my pops then. Other than sports, which he knows absolutely nothing about, I can talk to him about a multitude of topics. I'm thankful for him.

hardly much at all contact at ali, we talk maybe once or twice a year. Its just werid and its always been like that, never played a huge role in my life

last time i saw him was when i was looking at the back of his head at my granpa's funeral when i was 8.
i only learned one useful thing from him and that was lying, other than that my life been just fine with out him (probably for the better anyway).

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

It's weird. I can't really explain it. Let's just say I love him but there are quite a few things about him I don't like. He's been there all my life but at times it's like he's not there at all.

But on a overall basis...he's a good dude.
This. 

damn this make me grateful to have a dad who has been there (mostly) throughout my life.  although he and my mom are in the process of getting divorced right now.  i'm 24 and sometimes i wish they would have just gotten it over with earlier.  

He dead.........only thing i learned from him is to not be a bum depending on the government and lying to your kids all the time.

dude never told me he was dishonorable discharged from the military.................*$#@*@! loser

Back
Top Bottom