Why do you believe that there is a god?

Until new evidence comes along to either support or debunk
the conclusion, it stands.
We have only
recently been able to qualify it and apply measurements to it.
I'm saying that based on the claims for
the existence of a god, the conclusion is not supported. There very well COULD
be a god. But nothing you or anyone else has said supports that logically, or
with any substantial evidence other than them just WANTING it to be true.
Skipping over the proof doesn't make it more true.

Every idea ever
created may have been thought crazy but it started BASED on the idea of what was
already known

I started writing responses to each point, but theres really no point
laugh.gif

Youre looking for a tangible, fact based, purely logical explanation of God. There is NONE. If thats what you want to hear man, I cant physically show you God, I cant tell you what God looks like, I cant tell you what God smells like.

I can tell you what it feels like to me. But thats irrelevant.

My question is, you mentioned your job, what do you do?

And also do you have a family, children, or a significant other?

**That sounds a lil creepy haha i mean do you have anybody that you love in your life

sillyputty keeps on missing my post. obviously, he's too busy listening to himself blabbing about how he's right. there's no sense in talking to a person who doesn't know how to listen.

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Is there is any reason why atheists tend to debate religion and not spirituality? Honest question.
Spirituality is for all intents and purposes a flawed concept.
Its an attempt to suggest some sort of externality to ones physical existence. We are simply animals that think too damn much for own good. 

You never give a second thought to the idea that your dog has a spirit and an aura or whatever...or a turtle...or an elephant. 

Its always me, me, me, me... spirituality and religion is a narcissistic entity. 

wanting to feel some connection to something is just twisting of a concept of some phenomena we don't understand. Advances in neuroscience show us how religious minds work these days. Sociology explains why some communities tend to be more religious than others. 

Spirituality is an attempt to connect the mind to some sort of outerworldly concept for which there has never been proof of or evidence suggesting exists. 

Things happen all the time we can't explain... I understand that...but asserting an explanation without evidence does not bring us any closer to the truth...even if that "truth" or validity isn't complete. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

What you've done here is evade the necessity to support your conclusions. 

Thats dishonest.

Try again.

I'm glad you've improved your life and the way you make decisions, but that doesn't mean there is a god.

What you're doing is giving credit to some other entity when in reality YOU are responsible for the improvements you've made in your life. 

You say your god wasn't responsible for the lowest points in your life? Then its not god. Heres why.

If god is omnipotent then he can do anything.

if god is omniscient then he can know everything.

If your god isn't responsible for the bad things you've done or making bad situations or creating evil then your god isn't able to do anything. Therefore its not omnipotent.

If your god didn't know how sincere you were when you were at your lowest or doesn't know your thoughts before your pray then its not omniscient.

Therefore its not your god. 

You may assert then i never said god could do or know everything...well why do you praise it so much if its less than universal and has limits? 

Reconcile this notion. 

OK...another lofty claim. Where was god when the average life expectancy was 40 years for men? Where was god when women died in child birth? Where was god when children died of cholera and other diarrhea like diseases? Where was god before we made levees to protect people from flood waters? Where was god when women are raped? Does god pick sides in a football game? 

Its one thing to take advantage of science and the improved knowledge we as a society have these days, but its another to lie to yourself and say that god is responsible for all of this as "god" has idly sit around and watch people suffere while others have dedicated their lives through everything from engineers to doctors to improve the status of the experience of life. 

Don't undermine the efforts of those whose work you take advantage of. I find that highly disrespectful, if not thing else. If you want someone to pray to, pray to that unpublished researcher slaving in a lab to develop more HPV vaccine. 
I like you sillyputty.
If GOD doesn't exist, then there's no way that you and I could be having a conversation right now about HIS existence.
But we are having this conversation.
wink.gif

As far as praying to a lab technician working on HPV a vaccine...no thanks.
That we're debating something doesn't make it true. If that was the case then making women not vote would be the right thing to do, or killing gays....but we're having this conversation...
wink.gif
...doesn't that make not a BIT of sense to you? 
You're asserting a god exists and because we debate it means that its true? How does that even enter your mind as a valid statement? 

If you debate with your kid that his imaginary friend exists, does that make it true? 
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

BTW, if you don't give props to that HPV tech, thats fine she'll just keep giving our future daughters a way to prevent getting cervical cancer....something we can effectively reduce to an incidence of ZERO. So much for god. 
But what you fail to see is that we are not debating.  There is not debate.  I've been convinced that GOD is real.
You're not talking to my kid.  You're conversing with a man that has seen, feels, and touches living proof of GOD in his life
daily.

And you did not say "give props to the lab technician, you said for me to "pray to" the lab technician.  Huge difference there.
You're twisting what I've said to justify your own stance out of frustation.  And it's me that you called dishonest
in your previous post.

Science is an exciting field, but there's one flaw.  They'll all looking for the answers to their own questions,
when I've already found mine.

If GOD doesn't exist, then there's no way that you and I could be having a conversation right now about HIS existence.
wink.gif

Everyone always refers to god as a male...why is that? And what Silly has been asking you religious folk to do (that everyone seems to miss) is prove that god exists. 

Chances are you won't answer, so let me ask you this - do those that believe in god also believe in evolution of species? And why? Why not?

Originally Posted by pookieman

wink.gif

Everyone always refers to god as a male...why is that? And what Silly has been asking you religious folk to do (that everyone seems to miss) is prove that god exists. 

Chances are you won't answer, so let me ask you this - do those that believe in god also believe in evolution of species? And why? Why not?

There is no proof need to prove existence of what already exists.

Great question Pookie.
I do believe that GOD created everything with what it needs to survive, including adaptation, and further the ability for
a species to evolve over long periods of time.

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

Until new evidence comes along to either support or debunk
the conclusion, it stands.
We have only
recently been able to qualify it and apply measurements to it.
I'm saying that based on the claims for
the existence of a god, the conclusion is not supported. There very well COULD
be a god. But nothing you or anyone else has said supports that logically, or
with any substantial evidence other than them just WANTING it to be true.
Skipping over the proof doesn't make it more true.

Every idea ever
created may have been thought crazy but it started BASED on the idea of what was
already known

I started writing responses to each point, but theres really no point
laugh.gif

Youre looking for a tangible, fact based, purely logical explanation of God. There is NONE. If thats what you want to hear man, I cant physically show you God, I cant tell you what God looks like, I cant tell you what God smells like.

I can tell you what it feels like to me. But thats irrelevant.

My question is, you mentioned your job, what do you do?

And also do you have a family, children, or a significant other?

Thats a shame. I wanted to read them. 

Yep. Whats wrong with that. You use the SAME criteria for anything else in your daily life so why not assert it for the existence of a god? Why move the goalposts? Why violate the very principles of consistent logic that you employ to guide your decisions in every other aspect of your life? 

If you can't do that, then what good reason is there to believe other than "you just want to". Why can't you be honest and just say, i just want to be free to think what I want to think with no evidence?

It IS irrelevant. You can't assert something to be universal and valid if you can't prove it. Thats all that matters. If you can't even suggest it reasonably why should anyone else listen to you? 

Look, when people create crazy theories that end up being true whether they be conspiracies or the fact that light is both particulate and a transverse wave, the only thing that has helped us to understand difficult or unusual concepts WAS EVIDENCE. Thats it bro. 

I do research under a physician in connection with a medical school...but that doesn't mean anything. What I do for a living doesn't legitimize my claims or my evidence or my statements. 

Listening to your parents say there is a god doesn't mean they were more or less right than the professor at harvard. The claims must stand on their own regardless of who initiates them. 

I have no kids and i'm not married. Not sure what that again has to do with anything or how that adds to or subtracts from the claim there is a god. 

BTW, you witnessing a miracle or where I think you may be trying to take this or bait me... doesn't mean there is a god. Not being able to explain something just means...YOU CANT EXPLAIN SOMETHING. 
laugh.gif

Why can't people just say "i don't know...but i'd like to figure it out" instead of just saying "welp, god did it"... How does that explain anything? If anything it takes you FURTHER from really getting to learn something. 

Supermanblue79 wrote:

But what you fail to see is that we are not debating.  There is not debate.  I've been convinced that GOD is real.
You're not talking to my kid.  You're conversing with a man that has seen, feels, and touches living proof of GOD in his life
daily.

And you did not say "give props to the lab technician, you said for me to "pray to" the lab technician.  Huge difference there.
You're twisting what I've said to justify your own stance out of frustation.  And it's me that you called dishonest
in your previous post.

Science is an exciting field, but there's one flaw.  They'll all looking for the answers to their own questions,
when I've already found mine.

nerd.gif

What you've done here is evade the necessity to support your conclusions. 

Thats dishonest.

Try again.

I'm glad you've improved your life and the way you make decisions, but that doesn't mean there is a god.

What you're doing is giving credit to some other entity when in reality YOU are responsible for the improvements you've made in your life. 

You say your god wasn't responsible for the lowest points in your life? Then its not god. Heres why.

If god is omnipotent then he can do anything.

if god is omniscient then he can know everything.

If your god isn't responsible for the bad things you've done or making bad situations or creating evil then your god isn't able to do anything. Therefore its not omnipotent.

If your god didn't know how sincere you were when you were at your lowest or doesn't know your thoughts before your pray then its not omniscient.

Therefore its not your god. 

You may assert then i never said god could do or know everything...well why do you praise it so much if its less than universal and has limits? 

Reconcile this notion. 

OK...another lofty claim. Where was god when the average life expectancy was 40 years for men? Where was god when women died in child birth? Where was god when children died of cholera and other diarrhea like diseases? Where was god before we made levees to protect people from flood waters? Where was god when women are raped? Does god pick sides in a football game? 

Its one thing to take advantage of science and the improved knowledge we as a society have these days, but its another to lie to yourself and say that god is responsible for all of this as "god" has idly sit around and watch people suffere while others have dedicated their lives through everything from engineers to doctors to improve the status of the experience of life. 

Don't undermine the efforts of those whose work you take advantage of. I find that highly disrespectful, if not thing else. If you want someone to pray to, pray to that unpublished researcher slaving in a lab to develop more HPV vaccine. 
I like you sillyputty.
wink.gif

That we're debating something doesn't make it true. If that was the case then making women not vote would be the right thing to do, or killing gays....but we're having this conversation...
wink.gif
...doesn't that make not a BIT of sense to you? 
You're asserting a god exists and because we debate it means that its true? How does that even enter your mind as a valid statement? 

If you debate with your kid that his imaginary friend exists, does that make it true? 
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

BTW, if you don't give props to that HPV tech, thats fine she'll just keep giving our future daughters a way to prevent getting cervical cancer....something we can effectively reduce to an incidence of ZERO. So much for god. 
sillyputty dude you're trying to reason with people that can't be reasoned with..
It's like yelling at your dog for chasing it's tail.. I know it's frustrating because I go through these same arguments with one of my best college buddies all the time and we come to the same conclusions that EVIDENCE isn't important and FAITH his faith outweighs all.....In a way this way of thinking is pretty scary.... I still can't understand how with no evidence or proof whatsoever (on his side of the argument) that one can still put BLIND FAITH and dedicate their lives into a belief of god...  To me that's just the tip of the iceberg though.. The craziest thing to me is how these modern day Christians are the opposite of what Jesus was... The individuals who claim to be most adamant about their beliefs and their savior don't even follow his footsteps in their way of living their lives...
laugh.gif

Is there is any reason why atheists tend to debate religion and not spirituality? Honest question.
If you noticed the thread title and original post,  you will see that it mentions nothing about religion.

So far, the only reasons as to why some NTers believe that there is a god is:

I don't understand something, therefore God exists.
I was told believe that God exists, therefore God exists.
I made up God, therefore God exists.
The word God exists, therefore God exists
Science hasn't explained everything yet, therefore God exists.
Science is God, therefore God exists.
I feel something that feels like God, therefore God exists
God is, therefore God exists.

How is any of this compelling to you at all?

Some of you are using science to DISCREDIT SCIENCE! 
roll.gif

burden-of-proof.jpeg

I don't even know why I'm even posting here again...

That image you posted there... nobody told you that you have to listen to someone who believes in a higher being. NOBODY! (see I can do it too)

You're the one trying to shake what people believe and have faith in. In retrospect... prove there isn't a God otherwise... I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN! (or read)

... but then you're going to say I have to prove there is a God... but you can't prove there isn't... but I have to prove it first... but you can't prove it anyway... so
smokin.gif

I will gladly live in my ignorant bliss that there is a God. Good luck with the rest of your life buddy and for your sake... you better hope you're right!

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

burden-of-proof.jpeg

I don't even know why I'm even posting here again...

That image you posted there... nobody told you that you have to listen to someone who believes in a higher being. NOBODY! (see I can do it too)

You're the one trying to shake what people believe and have faith in. In retrospect... prove there isn't a God otherwise... I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN! (or read)

... but then you're going to say I have to prove there is a God... but you can't prove there isn't... but I have to prove it first... but you can't prove it anyway... so
smokin.gif

I will gladly live in my ignorant bliss that there is a God. Good luck with the rest of your life buddy and for your sake... you better hope you're right!
and you better hope that you're worshiping the right God.

imagine if yall chose the wrong god and got sent to hell for believing in the wrong one?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Its an attempt to suggest some sort of externality to ones physical existence. We are simply animals that think too damn much for own good. 

You never give a second thought to the idea that your dog has a spirit and an aura or whatever...or a turtle...or an elephant. 

Its always me, me, me, me... spirituality and religion is a narcissistic entity. 

wanting to feel some connection to something is just twisting of a concept of some phenomena we don't understand. Advances in neuroscience show us how religious minds work these days. Sociology explains why some communities tend to be more religious than others. 

Spirituality is an attempt to connect the mind to some sort of outerworldly concept for which there has never been proof of or evidence suggesting exists. 

Things happen all the time we can't explain... I understand that...but asserting an explanation without evidence does not bring us any closer to the truth...even if that "truth" or validity isn't complete. 
laugh.gif
Not true imo. And spirituality is far from narcissistic as it has more to do with "metaphysical connections" to other people, things and/or deities ("God").

Anyways, I just wanted to ask because atheists seems to be insistent on debating a man-made instituition (religion) as opposed to spirituality which in essense comes before
the creation of a religion.

Perhaps religion is a lot easier to attack because it is so grounded in humanity and yet claims to have connection to otherworldly forms. Spirituality does not claim to
be tangible at all. It just is.

Just throwing things out there though. Don't mind me.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

If you noticed the thread title and original post,  you will see that it mentions nothing about religion.

So far, the only reasons as to why some NTers believe that there is a god is:

I don't understand something, therefore God exists.
I was told believe that God exists, therefore God exists.
I made up God, therefore God exists.
The word God exists, therefore God exists
Science hasn't explained everything yet, therefore God exists.
Science is God, therefore God exists.
I feel something that feels like God, therefore God exists
God is, therefore God exists.

How is any of this compelling to you at all?

Some of you are using science to DISCREDIT SCIENCE! 
roll.gif

You aren't going to find a logical answer in any of thesetypes of threads. Not one time has a believer/religious person come up with a greatargument for their belief/existence in God in these threads.

Some pose betterand more articulate arguments than others, but they never truly come up withknockdown arguments. Maybe there isn't a knockdown argument but they all seemto fall short
of basic logic and reason. As an atheist I enjoy coming into these threads andseeing what the believers have to say and looking at things from theirperspective, but I can never fully grasp their way of thinking. We're all trying to make sense of our existence and the universe we live in; I prefer sound proof rather than blind faith.

laugh.gif
Not true imo. And spirituality is far from narcissistic as it has more to do with "metaphysical connections" to other people, things and/or deities ("God").

Anyways, I just wanted to ask because atheists seems to be insistent on debating a man-made instituition (religion) as opposed to spirituality which in essense comes before
the creation of a religion.

Perhaps religion is a lot easier to attack because it is so grounded in humanity and yet claims to have connection to otherworldly forms. Spirituality does not claim to
be tangible at all. It just is.

Just throwing things out there though. Don't mind me.
nerd.gif

This is why the original topic is not about religion, but about the existence of god(s).  Which side are you on sir?  Answer the thread title for me?

srs question, why doesnt God help me out when I ask him for help? like, when im doing math hw?....for being all-powerful/omniscent/etc., he sure acts like a little $%#@
eyes.gif

oh, and BasedGod > God

/thread

^ I'm a female, thanks.

And I'm quite aware of what the topic is about. However, I've seen a number of these threads and quite frankly they always come back to religion.
That's why I asked the question.
laugh.gif

Why do you believe that there is a god?
Answer: Because I just do. I believe it.

I like you sillyputty.
wink.gif

lolwut. Magic doesn't exist, but we can still sit here and have a conversation about Harry Potter.

The Apocrypha contains books NOT in the popular versions of most bibles. These are stories that include when Jesus was a toddler running around and terrorizing his home town and Joseph had to wring his ear and set him straight. These are stories with firebreathing dragons. I'm NOT lying. Read about it. You can find a copy in bookstores. 
You should wonder why these books were left out. You should always wonder why other sects don't include parts of your bible? Why is the catholic bible different from the other texts? Why did the catholics change the word "virgin" to the word "young woman" in the re-release of the 2011 bible? Why are they changing the inerrant words of a "universal" book?

You say its not a priority but this is in fact the problem. You should care about what you claim is TRUE or not. I am showing you that you need to investigate these claims. I know more about the underlying tenets of your religion than you do...thats a problem. 

You also believe that the world was created in 6 days? Why does god need to rest on the 7th?

Why does god work on a 7 day week? Is it not because jews started the arbitrary concept of working for 6 days then taking a break? Does god respect time-zones? When is the sabbath when its in Japan vs when its in America? 

You're only focused on the "reward" you get for being a christian rather than actually being a christian. You pick and choose from your book that you don't even know the history of and don't care to know only because you want to focus on the parts that make you feel good and skip over the other inconsistencies.

I've read the bible. Twice. Once straight. Another according to a reading schedule. 

All this poetic nonsense aside (i'm sorry but thats just what it is to me, not that its an objective assessment), if god does all this, what do YOU do? What are YOU responsible for? If you trust god so much why do you work? Why do you struggle? Why not just pray for everything to happen? Why not pray for a million bucks? Or a Benz? Or a model wife? 

Wanting to believe in something doesn't make it TRUE homie. 
Still of no interest to me at the moment.

There is no problem. I'm not questioning what I already believe in. What's important to me is getting to know God on a more personal level. You knowing more about underlying tenets means nothing to me.

Your trolling me with this one. I already said I believe the bible is true. As far as why God does what He does, there's not a man on earth that can explain to you the complexities of God. You said yourself you've read the bible twice. "without controversy great is the mystery of godliness" applies right here.

Only focused on the reward lol. My reward is being in the presence of my creator for eternity and there is a process in order to be able to do that. Having read the bible you know this so you must also know that the focus is to be holy and acceptable in the sight of the Lord.

All condescension aside your asking things that you already know answers to and there isn't much that I've had a problem with you saying in all of your posts.

You appear to be telling me here that I'm only wanting to believe in what I said I believe in......no?

Originally Posted by Retro23J

The Apocrypha contains books NOT in the popular versions of most bibles. These are stories that include when Jesus was a toddler running around and terrorizing his home town and Joseph had to wring his ear and set him straight. These are stories with firebreathing dragons. I'm NOT lying. Read about it. You can find a copy in bookstores. 
You should wonder why these books were left out. You should always wonder why other sects don't include parts of your bible? Why is the catholic bible different from the other texts? Why did the catholics change the word "virgin" to the word "young woman" in the re-release of the 2011 bible? Why are they changing the inerrant words of a "universal" book?

You say its not a priority but this is in fact the problem. You should care about what you claim is TRUE or not. I am showing you that you need to investigate these claims. I know more about the underlying tenets of your religion than you do...thats a problem. 

You also believe that the world was created in 6 days? Why does god need to rest on the 7th?

Why does god work on a 7 day week? Is it not because jews started the arbitrary concept of working for 6 days then taking a break? Does god respect time-zones? When is the sabbath when its in Japan vs when its in America? 

You're only focused on the "reward" you get for being a christian rather than actually being a christian. You pick and choose from your book that you don't even know the history of and don't care to know only because you want to focus on the parts that make you feel good and skip over the other inconsistencies.

I've read the bible. Twice. Once straight. Another according to a reading schedule. 

All this poetic nonsense aside (i'm sorry but thats just what it is to me, not that its an objective assessment), if god does all this, what do YOU do? What are YOU responsible for? If you trust god so much why do you work? Why do you struggle? Why not just pray for everything to happen? Why not pray for a million bucks? Or a Benz? Or a model wife? 

Wanting to believe in something doesn't make it TRUE homie. 
Still of no interest to me at the moment.

There is no problem. I'm not questioning what I already believe in. What's important to me is getting to know God on a more personal level. You knowing more about underlying tenets means nothing to me.

Your trolling me with this one. I already said I believe the bible is true. As far as why God does what He does, there's not a man on earth that can explain to you the complexities of God. You said yourself you've read the bible twice. "without controversy great is the mystery of godliness" applies right here.

Only focused on the reward lol. My reward is being in the presence of my creator for eternity and there is a process in order to be able to do that. Having read the bible you know this so you must also know that the focus is to be holy and acceptable in the sight of the Lord.

All condescension aside your asking things that you already know answers to and there isn't much that I've had a problem with you saying in all of your posts.

You appear to be telling me here that I'm only wanting to believe in what I said I believe in......no?
Spirituality at its finest. And this what they just don't get. It so simple, though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by il prescelto

srs question, why doesnt God help me out when I ask him for help? like, when im doing math hw?....for being all-powerful/omniscent/etc., he sure acts like a little $%#@
eyes.gif

oh, and BasedGod > God

/thread

He's not not going to just write the answers down for you. There are resources that he placed for you to learn and study the math material. It's up to you to put in the work. 

Originally Posted by Steinbeckballa

Originally Posted by il prescelto

eyes.gif

oh, and BasedGod > God

/thread

He's not not going to just write the answers down for you. There are resources that he placed for you to learn and study the math material. It's up to you to put in the work. 
So then, how does one know whether god is providing answers or not? If I'm in a tough situation and I pray to god about it, when the situation is resolved, how does one know whether it was god that helped resolve the issue or whether it was something else? Is it always god? Did he just create us to be so incompetent that we can't possibly ever accomplish anything on our own and without his help?

It's always God, but my answer is based on faith. He created us to be knowledgeable, wise, understanding, and strong, but also dependent on him.

Back
Top Bottom