you can def afford cali

just be prepared though you need a car to get around public transportation

is nothing like nyc

nyc is more expensive than cali

the weather is hot down here tho its like an nyc summer heatwave all year long

gl with your choice famb

Originally Posted by MARINADELREY

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I'm actually thinking of moving out their for my masters or after my masters, depending on the job opportunities for my field.

NYC born and raised myself...but NYC is getting played out after 26 years. I mean NYC is unique and def. one of the top cities to be in just based on the diversity of life over here...but that being said it's just hussle & bussle out here.

I'm taking a trip to san fran in mid august..hope that helps me get a slight feel for cali.

ive heard that the weather there sucks though
always foggy and rainy. that is by FAR the complete opposite of LA county
I grew up in the Bay Area and I LOVE the rain and fog of San Francisco. Let's be real though, the weather is really nice in the Bay Area for the most part year round. You've got maybe two or three months of rain and it's mostly in the 60's and 70's.
I live in San Diego now for school and it's different. If you're into the beach and that kind of lifestyle, SoCal's going to be hard to top but I'm not a fan of the year round warmth personally.

Originally Posted by MARINADELREY

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I'm actually thinking of moving out their for my masters or after my masters, depending on the job opportunities for my field.

NYC born and raised myself...but NYC is getting played out after 26 years. I mean NYC is unique and def. one of the top cities to be in just based on the diversity of life over here...but that being said it's just hussle & bussle out here.

I'm taking a trip to san fran in mid august..hope that helps me get a slight feel for cali.

ive heard that the weather there sucks though
always foggy and rainy. that is by FAR the complete opposite of LA county
I grew up in the Bay Area and I LOVE the rain and fog of San Francisco. Let's be real though, the weather is really nice in the Bay Area for the most part year round. You've got maybe two or three months of rain and it's mostly in the 60's and 70's.
I live in San Diego now for school and it's different. If you're into the beach and that kind of lifestyle, SoCal's going to be hard to top but I'm not a fan of the year round warmth personally.

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Um how is the gang violence? I'm not about that life

If you're not in one you shouldn't be worried about it. Also stay out of poor areas and poor things won't happen to you Blood.

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Um how is the gang violence? I'm not about that life

If you're not in one you shouldn't be worried about it. Also stay out of poor areas and poor things won't happen to you Blood.

there are alot of areas in Norcal that are safe, as long as you stay out of the sketchier neighborhoods there's nothing going on much. I cannot vouch for SoCal because I have never stayed there very long. 

there are alot of areas in Norcal that are safe, as long as you stay out of the sketchier neighborhoods there's nothing going on much. I cannot vouch for SoCal because I have never stayed there very long. 

Cali all day, sun,women,weather, traffic depends on where you live, earthquakes rarely..where in Cali you movin to?

Cali all day, sun,women,weather, traffic depends on where you live, earthquakes rarely..where in Cali you movin to?

laugh.gif
, Do you even know what an NYC summer heat wave is?

They are 90 degrees + and add humidity on top of that.  Cali weather is nothing like that, maybe one week out of the year.

Even when it's "hot" it's more of a dry heat as opposed to a humid heat (
sick.gif
).

The majority of the time it's 70-80 degrees with low humidity...it's @#@*!%+ awesome.  We are @#@*!%+ spoiled out here,
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
, Do you even know what an NYC summer heat wave is?

They are 90 degrees + and add humidity on top of that.  Cali weather is nothing like that, maybe one week out of the year.

Even when it's "hot" it's more of a dry heat as opposed to a humid heat (
sick.gif
).

The majority of the time it's 70-80 degrees with low humidity...it's @#@*!%+ awesome.  We are @#@*!%+ spoiled out here,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Originally Posted by mases apprentice

NY born and raised, but i feel like i live a cali life style. 

Pros:
women(subjective)
all types of fast food and legit food joints. 
beautiful weather almost 80% of the year. 

by the water... everywhere 

car scene/roads (pch <3)
Piff. 

Partying. 

Cons.

91 octane -_-

Nothing like the NYC 

wildfires/earthquakes

*!+*#+ ##* economy. (aint like ny is ballin out either)

Not sure if i like cali style. I ain't on that tight jean, jerkin, shufflin jumpoff.

(F&F in NY)

traffic?

this isnt a make it or break it thread, more of a... need other heads input from both sides. i plan to make the move after i graduate college. Senior in college btw. 

Looking in the socal area. LA and Down. 

This is not a NY>CALI or a CALI>NY thread. just pointing out the good and bad with cali when compared to ny.They both are amazing places.  I have much love for california. 

LULZLUZLULUZLULZULUZLULZULUZULUZLUZLULZULUZLUZLUZLULLZULULZULZULUZLUZLUZLUZLUZLUZLULZULZUZLULUZLULZULUZLUL
roll.gif

Pros:
women(subjective)

car scene/roads (pch <3)
Piff. 

Partying. 

Cons.

91 octane -_-

Nothing like the NYC 

wildfires/earthquakes

Not sure if i like cali style. I ain't on that tight jean, jerkin, shufflin jumpoff.

(F&F in NY)

traffic?

this isnt a make it or break it thread, more of a... need other heads input from both sides. i plan to make the move after i graduate college. Senior in college btw. 

This is not a NY>CALI or a CALI>NY thread. just pointing out the good and bad with cali when compared to ny.They both are amazing places.  I have much love for california. 

LULZLUZLULUZLULZULUZLULZULUZULUZLUZLULZULUZLUZLUZLULLZULULZULZULUZLUZLUZLUZLUZLUZLULZULZUZLULUZLULZULUZLUL
roll.gif

didn't know this many people were trying to move to Cali...i've been saving and i'm planning on moving at the beginning of next year...i've been here in Atlanta all my life and just need that change...i'll probably get a transfer from my current job, but i'm tryin to get a job in the movie industry as a grip, assistant, runner, ect...something low-level until i'm able to get my screenwriting/directing career off the ground...anybody here workin in the industry???

didn't know this many people were trying to move to Cali...i've been saving and i'm planning on moving at the beginning of next year...i've been here in Atlanta all my life and just need that change...i'll probably get a transfer from my current job, but i'm tryin to get a job in the movie industry as a grip, assistant, runner, ect...something low-level until i'm able to get my screenwriting/directing career off the ground...anybody here workin in the industry???

Lightweight Champion wrote:

My job is online. i run a website. i can do it anywhere i get internet. so finding a job isnt really a problem for me. its just the living situation and life style.

thanks for the useful replies.

Sounds like you should try the South Bay then and be alongside Yahoo and Google.

south bay? is that just so-cal? if not then whats south bay? SD?

supposedly its really, nursing in california is very very hard even with the high demand for nurses. im sure teaching is the same. if not worse

South Bay Area. Consists of San Jose, Santa Clara, Milpitas, Mountain View...and according to some the beautiful city of Monterey.

A great region to be at, really.

My job is online. i run a website. i can do it anywhere i get internet. so finding a job isnt really a problem for me. its just the living situation and life style.

thanks for the useful replies.

Sounds like you should try the South Bay then and be alongside Yahoo and Google.

supposedly its really, nursing in california is very very hard even with the high demand for nurses. im sure teaching is the same. if not worse

South Bay Area. Consists of San Jose, Santa Clara, Milpitas, Mountain View...and according to some the beautiful city of Monterey.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

There's more than one "South Bay" in California, though you mentioning Yahoo and Google was a giveaway. I happen to live in the South Bay in the L.A. county area.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

There's more than one "South Bay" in California, though you mentioning Yahoo and Google was a giveaway. I happen to live in the South Bay in the L.A. county area.

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Pros:
women(subjective)

car scene/roads (pch <3)
Piff. 

Partying. 

Cons.

91 octane -_-

Nothing like the NYC 

wildfires/earthquakes

(F&F in NY)

traffic?

roll.gif
its a life style not fashion style. 

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Pros:
women(subjective)

car scene/roads (pch <3)
Piff. 

Partying. 

Cons.

91 octane -_-

Nothing like the NYC 

wildfires/earthquakes

(F&F in NY)

traffic?

roll.gif
its a life style not fashion style. 

dmxgod wrote:
Originally Posted by 8tothe24

dmxgod wrote:
I've always wanted to experience California..not the tourist crap..but just spend a month in California..and see how I like it..and if I could find a teaching job out there..but I got a girl that won't leave her family..so I'm not gonna even touch that topic..
game over, stay home.

What's wrong with teaching? I've been teaching for 3 years and I would never change careers..most rewarding profession..but at the same time it depends on the school district..if the district is crappy..then yeah you are gonna bash teaching/teachers..every state has their great school districts and their horrible school districts..in fact California has one of the most rigorous teaching standards in order to become a teacher..on par with New York State..

I'm sure the teaching jobs are very difficult to obtain in California as in New York State..but I would b up to the challenge of looking for employment out there..they also get paid at the same rate as most school districts in New York City/State

Where did I say anything bad about teachers- my wife is a teacher.

But since you want to talk about crappy school districts, the majority are.  The onus to support the needs of the classroom are entirely on the teacher, the bureaucracy/politics is crap, you have to walk on eggshells because the students run the classroom... and on.  But if you love working with children (or teens if that's your thing) then you make it work and do your thing.

As for the game over, stay home comment it was directed at your employment opportunities.  Most school districts pink slip nontenured teachers at the end of the school year and rehire them during the summer.  Not to mention the hiring freeze in many districts.  Teachers with experience getting bumped into the substitute pool and some substitute pools being completely closed to applicants.  If you're a white male, you better be looking at math or science in high school; hell if you are a credentialed warm-blooded human you better be looking to do high school math, science.  OR you can get in line to do ESL classes, which is about the only positions that opens up.  And it is only going to get worse over the next 5 years.  But if you want to ride that CA unemployment chain, be my guest (everyone else here is doing it- unemployment in CA is officially about 12%, truthfully it is about/or above 20%).

Have a good day and good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom