Why is there a Pro Bowl?

As long as there is TV there will be pro bowl. It's another event to televise that can help promote their product and ESPN can get better ratings than whatever else would normally be in that time slot.

Like any other complaints with the NFL (preseason being too long/meaningless, head injuries, retired player complaints, rookie signing bonuses, etc) there is not going to be any real action taken until the public has a huge outcry. Goodell has shown his track record that if the league starts to get real national media flack he will attempt to change.

As it stands almost no one likes the pro bowl game itself but there is no huge demand for change from the networks or media. That's why we will continue to have it no matter how pointless it is. And I agree it's pointless. Name the teams but don't play the game. And don't let alternates flood the roster so half the league's agents can claim their client is a "pro bowler" when it's time to talk contract.

Originally Posted by chiva1908

because the NFL feels the need for their own "all star" even...smh..
There was once upon a time where the Pro Bowl was actually a serious event.  Watching the old NFL Films documentaries, players used these games as "payback" on what happen during the regular season.

I think today, the Pro Bowl is a joke.  Rules limited blitzes and other things make it a joke.  And lastly the fear of getting injured, potentially losing out on millions of dollars, is probably the reason why this game is a pure joke.  Nobody tries.

JR5

Originally Posted by eight2one

NBA allstar weekend>*
           Hell that sucks too
laugh.gif

dont buy tickets, dont watch the game...its as simple as that

people that complain about the pro bowl are the same people that complain about the slam dunk contest

quit crying

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Yup it's stupid. They should scrap it and place more emphasis on the skills competition. Upgrade the existing events, add some new ones, put it in a stadium to give it more of a big-time feel and it would probably be more interesting.
That's good idea.

I'd rather see what WR can run the fastest 40 than watch a half-hearted game.

That said, ya'll make me laugh tryna act like this is the first time there have been two week before the super bowl and like this is the first time a bunch of guys drop out. A lot of guys that played hurt into the end of the season/playoffs are told by their team doctors not to play also. No sense whatsoever in playing injured in the Pro Bowl.

That's how injuries happen too though. Running hard to gain pride points.

why are people putting dollar signs? Nobody goes to it, nobody watches it. The reason they moved it away from Hawaii and put it before the Super Bowl is to generate interest. They can't be bringing in that much money.

Originally Posted by vctry20

why are people putting dollar signs? Nobody goes to it, nobody watches it. The reason they moved it away from Hawaii and put it before the Super Bowl is to generate interest. They can't be bringing in that much money.
Stadium is sold out...

Back
Top Bottom