40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

Why hasn't anybody said $75k for a job they enjoy somewhere in the middle?

Damn millennials and their absolutes :lol:

^ How are you spending $100 a week on groceries as a single person? I'm only spending $200 a month. And that includes personal hygiene products. That 5k you "gotta buy" shoes and clothes is a habit that needs to be tapered.

For a single person, living by themself in a moderate to high cost of living area, 100k is enough to be comfortable and enjoy life. If you have massive debt you're trying to manage in addition to living in a high COL area, you may have to cut back on spending and get a roommate or two, but you will still be comfortable and have discretionary spending.

If you're trying to cop foreigns, crash them, then cop another one, then 100k isn't going to get you there.

I see your point but I pay like $380 a month and that's for me and my wife food is getting more and more expensive so it's all depending on what it is your buying it seems like junk food is cheap go buy and things that are good for you will run you more and if you want to shop at whole foods that's a whole get ready to spend that cash

BUT the title was 40 or 100. If we talking ideal pay I'm pretty sure we would all be far above 100k.

^ How are you spending $100 a week on groceries as a single person? I'm only spending $200 a month. And that includes personal hygiene products. That 5k you "gotta buy" shoes and clothes is a habit that needs to be tapered.

For a single person, living by themself in a moderate to high cost of living area, 100k is enough to be comfortable and enjoy life. If you have massive debt you're trying to manage in addition to living in a high COL area, you may have to cut back on spending and get a roommate or two, but you will still be comfortable and have discretionary spending.

If you're trying to cop foreigns, crash them, then cop another one, then 100k isn't going to get you there.

I see your point but I pay like $380 a month and that's for me and my wife food is getting more and more expensive so it's all depending on what it is your buying it seems like junk food is cheap go buy and things that are good for you will run you more and if you want to shop at whole foods that's a whole get ready to spend that cash

I hit up trader joes weekly to meal prep for the week, its right atound $200 a month. try that bro, whole foods is expensive from what i hear.

I said I was paying $200 as a single person and that's not cheap food either.

Michigan. And God damn, y'all spending how much on groceries? I spend 2 something monthly, for 2 adults and 1 child. Then again we have been eating fruit alot more the last 4 mths.

BUT the title was 40 or 100. If we talking ideal pay I'm pretty sure we would all be far above 100k.

That's true. It's tough when you only have those two choices.

I mean, what exactly is in that $100k job that you don't like? Long hours? Co-Workers? Hazardous conditions?

I mean, what exactly is in that $100k job that you don't like? Long hours? Co-Workers? Hazardous conditions?
Boring, 64% of millennial would rather take the $40k a job they think is more fun than the $100k boring job

I'm guessing all of the above lol. But I always vowed to never work 70-80 hours a week, can't do it. No offense to anyone who does it, I just belive in a balance between work and my personal life. I do t wanna live to work and if that will be the reason I'll never break that 100k mark I'm fine with that. Time with my family is priceless.

I'm guessing all of the above lol. But I always vowed to never work 70-80 hours a week, can't do it. No offense to anyone who does it, I just belive in a balance between work and my personal life. I do t wanna live to work and if that will be the reason I'll never break that 100k mark I'm fine with that. Time with my family is priceless.

Totally agree. There's no feeling like being able to accomplish both.

View media item 1898781

I hit up trader joes weekly to meal prep for the week, its right atound $200 a month. try that bro, whole foods is expensive from what i hear.

I use to go to trader joe's but there's only one in the city every time I line up I feel like I'm buying shoes lol the dam line starts at the end of the store....... But I definitely need to go back

I need a better measuring stick,

Where I'm from (Bay Area) people who are making 100k are plumbers, electricians, maintenance workers. Pretty much trade jobs.

What jobs in your area are paying 100k.

I should've went to trade school instead of college after high school smh. I knew college wasn't for me, I just went for a year for the experience, being a follower and **** fml.

How do some of yall dudes grow up? Nah seriously. The most my parents ever made combined was 90k and they took care of me and my brother in Northern NJ.

40k for just ME is straight. Nah i aint taking vacations or maxing out an IRA but I'm living and can save a little bit

Times are much different than back then bro. Our parents really sacrificed for us, to provide a stable household, food, clothing etc. Today, everybody in the house as multiple electronic devices, parents are spending more on themselves and their children whether it is clothing, going out whatever. People are spending more now it seems.

I use to go to trader joe's but there's only one in the city every time I line up I feel like I'm buying shoes lol the dam line starts at the end of the store....... But I definitely need to go back

tell me about it :lol: lines are odee long there

I need a better measuring stick,

Where I'm from (Bay Area) people who are making 100k are plumbers, electricians, maintenance workers. Pretty much trade jobs.

What jobs in your area are paying 100k.
I live in SF and most of my social circle here all pretty much work at startups and make $100k or more

I pay $1410 (no utils, parking added) for 1br in DC area. Was paying $1155 in a "rougher" area.
Yikes.

That price would get you damn near a mansion in a lot of areas here.

My rent is about €600 and I have 3 large rooms upstairs for myself.

My mom has a bedroom downstairs, relatively big kitchen, living area, hall, large storage room and a large garage.

1 bathroom and 1 toilet downstairs.

I live in a small rural town with a population of around 5k. It's in close proximity to larger cities but the most necessary stores are within a couple minutes of walking.

I don't think I'd ever move to a bigger city. I enjoy the sense of community here.

The store owners all know my name and most people here know eachother. It's nice to have people wave at you and say hello any time you're going to the stores.

Last edited:
I'm taking solely my income. 100k isn't enough money anywhere in the US.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.
What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

I'm not asking for a full excel spreadsheet but you're telling me you cant break down in a couple sentences why 100k isn't enough instead of repeating the same thing over and over?

I made really good money working at Schlumberger back in 07' and hated going to work everyday. When oil prices dropped in 08", I was laid off. Went into Law Enforcement for a while and enjoyed the hell out of it and made no-where near what I did at Schlumberger.

I graduated with a business degree and left Law Enforcement. First job sucked, made decent money and still less than Schumberger. Left that job and now im happy at my new spot. I get a promotion next week after an year.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.
What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

I'm not asking for a full excel spreadsheet but you're telling me you cant break down in a couple sentences why 100k isn't enough instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
You won't be able to save enough
You won't be able to invest enough
Your discretionary spending is limited.

this is all relative though, i guess its best to say 100k for YOU is not enough.

this is all relative though, i guess its best to say 100k for YOU is not enough.
Nah it's pretty black and white and applies everywhere.

What is your definition of enough? Luxury?
Being able to live decently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom