40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

Hmm. That's a tough one. I'm at a job now that I hate making 40k. So doing this for 100k isn't that bad. But on the other hand, having a job I loved would make my days easier and granted I'd need more money in the long run, I'm still fairly young so I can live on this.

If the situation was like 60k vs 100k, I'd take the 60 in a heartbeat

Hmm. That's a tough one. I'm at a job now that I hate making 40k. So doing this for 100k isn't that bad. But on the other hand, having a job I loved would make my days easier and granted I'd need more money in the long run, I'm still fairly young so I can live on this.

If the situation was like 60k vs 100k, I'd take the 60 in a heartbeat

I should just stick to flipping supreme clothes. Make that 100 racks.

on racks on racks.

So what is the reason y'all need so much money in the US? Cost of education? Cost of living?
My dad is in his early 50s now and his house is fully paid off and appraised at around €200k, he also owns various patches of land for hunting purposes.
He also has plenty of savings. That's just from his income of €3000 a month and additional income as a hunter, no investments.
No debt, recently bought a 30k car in full without taking out a loan.

It just boggles my mind how 100k or even 200k is not enough to achieve that in the US.

100k is like 5k take home a month. My mortgage impound account (includes all taxes and insurance) is 3k monthly. There's also basic utilities: water(50$), electric(100$), gas (25$), trash(25$), basic cable and Internet(150$). Im conservative with my use as well (never use the heater). Cell phone bill (50$). I've rounded all these numbers down to make it easy to add. I have student loans on the "most efficient plan" I pay 700$ a month. This is 4100$ total not including food, gas, basic living expenses for me living in California. I don't feel like any of my payments are out of the ordinary for where I live.

Antidope making a strong push for DC's crown.

I was maxing out a 401k and a Roth plus stacking other bread in investments when I was pulling $70k. That's with a great social life, traveling, living solo, and staying dipped.

It can easily be done.

My wife's monthly student loan repayment (graduate school) is about 1 year of college for you.

I see. Education is highly subsidized here through taxes and I can actually go to the best university in the country for less than €1000 a year if I want to.

I was maxing out a 401k and a Roth plus stacking other bread in investments when I was pulling $70k. That's with a great social life, traveling, living solo, and staying dipped.

It can easily be done.

where did you live when you were doingthis?

100k is like 5k take home a month. My mortgage impound account (includes all taxes and insurance) is 3k monthly. There's also basic utilities: water(50$), electric(100$), gas (25$), trash(25$), basic cable and Internet(150$). Im conservative with my use as well (never use the heater). Cell phone bill (50$). I've rounded all these numbers down to make it easy to add. I have student loans on the "most efficient plan" I pay 700$ a month. This is 4100$ total not including food, gas, basic living expenses for me living in California. I don't feel like any of my payments are out of the ordinary for where I live.
That's crazy. In my country education is affordable to most people so the outrageous education costs in the US have always baffled me.

We have higher taxes but I'll gladly contribute to making education affordable for as many people as possible.

Here's an example of the tuition costs of Belgium's most prestigious university (Ghent University, ranked in the top 120 worldwide)

€890 a year for a regular student without a scholarship

€470 a year for a student with a partial scholarship

€105 a year for a student with a full scholarship

Anyone can apply for a scholarship, it's based on financials and income.

In my case I would be eligible for the partial scholarship.

Last edited:

It can easily be done.
Cool. That doesn't mean that it's enough money. Cause it's not.

It can easily be done.
Exactly dude is talking foolish. I was making 60 when I was single and moved exactly how and when I wanted too.

So what is the reason y'all need so much money in the US? Cost of education? Cost of living?

My dad is in his early 50s now and his house is fully paid off and appraised at around €200k, he also owns various patches of land for hunting purposes.

He also has plenty of savings. That's just from his income of €3000 a month and additional income as a hunter, no investments.

No debt, recently bought a 30k car in full without taking out a loan.

It just boggles my mind how 100k or even 200k is not enough to achieve that in the US.
When you make 100k in America 35-40 percent is gone due to taxes. City tax state tax fed tax... plus if you got a good job thats money towards a 401k 5 percent at minimum... lets start off at 60k after taxes 

ill do a break down from a single persons perspective

5 percent of 60k is 3k

rent is avg 1200 in urban america for a 1 bdr thats 14k down the hole

57- 14 = 43k  

food is quite expensive

it cost about 100 a week in groceries. for a single person ; 200 and up for a family wit 2 or 3 kids

100 a week @ 52 weeks is 5200 . 43k-5 = 38k

car note plus insurance = 500 a month x 12 = 6000k

38k- 6k= 32k

cable , internet cell phone etc can range from  200 - 300 lets say 250 

250 x 12 = 3k

32k - 3k = 29k

gas and electric can vary. I pay up to 200 in the summer months. 200 avg x 12 = 2400

29k -2k= 27k

gotta buy shoes clothes personal hygiene , etc.... lets say 5k 

27k - 5k  = 22k 

22k to party ,vacation, or in my case baby sitting which is 250 a week = 22k -12k = broke ***** or 10k if your single

Last edited:
I'm taking solely my income. 100k isn't enough money anywhere in the US.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.

How do some of yall dudes grow up? Nah seriously. The most my parents ever made combined was 90k and they took care of me and my brother in Northern NJ.

40k for just ME is straight. Nah i aint taking vacations or maxing out an IRA but I'm living and can save a little bit

When you make 100k in America 35-40 percent is gone due to taxes. City tax state tax fed tax... plus if you got a good job thats money towards a 401k 5 percent at minimum... lets start off at 60k after taxes 

ill do a break down from a single persons perspective

5 percent of 60k is 3k
rent is avg 1200 in urban america for a 1 bdr thats 24k down the hole
57- 24 = 33k  

food is quite expensive

it cost about 100 a week in groceries. for a single person ; 200 and up for a family wit 2 or 3 kids

100 a week @ 52 weeks is 5200 . 33k-5 = 28k

car note plus insurance = 500 a month x 12 = 6000k
28k- 6k= 22k

cable , internet cell phone etc can range from  200 - 300 lets say 250 

250 x 12 = 3k
22k - 3k = 19k

gas and electric can vary. I pay up to 200 in the summer months. 200 avg x 12 = 2400

19k -2k= 17k

gotta buy shoes clothes personal hygiene , etc.... lets say 5k 

17k - 5k  = 12k 

12k to party ,vacation, or in my case baby sitting which is 250 a week = 12k -12k = broke *****
Wth is rent 1200 for a 1bdrm. I'm guessing NY or cali? Guess u can't do **** with 100k there. Even more reasons to stay away.

How do some of yall dudes grow up? Nah seriously. The most my parents ever made combined was 90k and they took care of me and my brother in Northern NJ.

40k for just ME is straight. Nah i aint taking vacations or maxing out an IRA but I'm living and can save a little bit
Bro me and my girl make like 75 combined right now, will be higher when she finish school. But we take 2 vacations a year, got a 2bdrm apt in a suburb 15 away from the city, 2 vehicles, got a kid, pay day care, shop alot, and I invest in a 401. It's all about location with this I'm guessing, Midwest and southern folks will flourish with 100k

I'll say 100k for the job I don't like there jobs that pay ppl 40k and treat people like dog Sh...it I've learned that what you like to do in life don't always pay the bills

^ How are you spending $100 a week on groceries as a single person? I'm only spending $200 a month. And that includes personal hygiene products. That 5k you "gotta buy" shoes and clothes is a habit that needs to be tapered.

For a single person, living by themself in a moderate to high cost of living area, 100k is enough to be comfortable and enjoy life. If you have massive debt you're trying to manage in addition to living in a high COL area, you may have to cut back on spending and get a roommate or two, but you will still be comfortable and have discretionary spending.

If you're trying to cop foreigns, crash them, then cop another one, then 100k isn't going to get you there.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.
What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

its enough to live

I pay $1410 (no utils, parking added) for 1br in DC area. Was paying $1155 in a "rougher" area.
Disgusting. I pay 825 only utility is lights and that's like 50 bucks. And I'm in a suburb right next door to the movie theater, across the street from the mall, and all types off restaurants so we don't spend any gas going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom