40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

inflation, but I know someone currently supporting a family of 8 with a 60k income

Although I agree with you, my grandparents raised a family of nine with only 49K a year. She managed to save and take us all on vacations. She was a school teacher and my grandfather was a janitor at a plant. The inflation from then to now as a teacher is roughly $18k to 19.5K in Lousinana.

That's Louisiana though. A one bedroom here that's halfway decent is 1k. It's always going to be cheaper down there with less inflation.

40k isn't broke here but it isn't anything either. You're in the burbs or a crappy spot in the city if you're by yourself with no roommate.

So real questions is, could you move your family to another state and live there and still be happy about it or would you rather stay in the LA area with your current living situation and try and make more?

Here are the top 5 states in 2014 according to CNBC:

1) Kentucky
2) Arkansas
3) Oklahoma
4) Louisiana
5) West Virginia

Couldn't do it unless it was in New Orleans. That's it.

Depends on location. 40k wouldn't fly with me here in SF even if I do like my job.

So real questions is, could you move your family to another state and live there and still be happy about it or would you rather stay in the LA area with your current living situation and try and make more?

Here are the top 5 states in 2014 according to CNBC:

1) Kentucky
2) Arkansas
3) Oklahoma
4) Louisiana
5) West Virginia

Couldn't do it unless it was in New Orleans. That's it.

Word for word.

I think people that say they can't live off 40k just aren't resourceful enough or don't manage money well

It depends if we're talking about just surviving or being able to enjoy yourself. Can you survive off 40k, sure. But personally I'd like to go on vacations, go to sporting events, not live with roommates, etc. and in the Bay Area 40k isn't gonna cut it.

The average price of a home in San Mateo County is 900k+. You know how long you'd have to save for a down payment on that salary?

40k turns into what, 2500 a month? That would barely cover my cost of living.

That's Louisiana though. A one bedroom here that's halfway decent is 1k. It's always going to be cheaper down there with less inflation.

40k isn't broke here but it isn't anything either. You're in the burbs or a crappy spot in the city if you're by yourself with no roommate.

I can't say, when I was moved from New Orleans to Atlanta back in '03, I was only making 30K and was living great. 2 bedroom in a high rise with a car that was paid off. I had no debt but my cellphone, insurance and student loans...I was fine.

Now more money, more bills...I'm over the 140k mark and was loving it more simple with not much depending on money.

Last edited:
Although I'd be very uncomfortable at 40K, I'd go for it if it would be better for my resume and the experience/connections it would provide would be transferable to a much better position within 2-3 yrs.

But all things equal besides the money and how I like the job (future prospects are the same), I'd go for the 100K and make my tenure as brief as I could

I think people that say they can't live off 40k just aren't resourceful enough or don't manage money well

It depends if we're talking about just surviving or being able to enjoy yourself. Can you survive off 40k, sure. But personally I'd like to go on vacations, go to sporting events, not live with roommates, etc. and in the Bay Area 40k isn't gonna cut it.

The average price of a home in San Mateo County is 900k+. You know how long you'd have to save for a down payment on that salary?

40k turns into what, 2500 a month? That would barely cover my cost of living.
Word, I'm in San Jose and I'm able to live comfortably while saving money but that's only because I live at home. I'm making about 50K in my first year and I'd be able to live on my own but wouldn't have money left over for the fun I'm having.

I'll be making those 120K+ within 5 years for sure, but I won't be hating my job. As other people have mentioned, it's definitely a trade off. I'll be happy as hell with my job but I'm pretty sure I'll never get married and if by some crazy chance I do, it's almost certain it'll end in a divorce. Dam near all of my coworkers have been divorced at least once.

Last edited:
Do they 100k for 2 years, live off 40k save the rest. Quit job after 2 years, take the 120k invest it in my own business or take 2 years off not working nice vacation and find another job later

Do they 100k for 2 years, live off 40k save the rest. Quit job after 2 years, take the 120k invest it in my own business or take 2 years off not working nice vacation and find another job later

I still can't believe people ask SuperL tax questions.

Haha.

Only if there were no taxes. Would love to get every penny that I was supposed to get. I still remember when I got my first bonus. Thought I was going to buy a ton of stuff. After taxes, it was just another paycheck on top of my other one.

Been telling dudes for the longest. There's money to be made in the developing world. The west has pretty much hit its peak with the number of people you have to compete with for a decent paying job

Haha.

Only if there were no taxes. Would love to get every penny that I was supposed to get. I still remember when I got my first bonus. Thought I was going to buy a ton of stuff. After taxes, it was just another paycheck on top of my other one.
This was me today.... I'm grateful regardless, but that before taxes bonus number sounds 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 that take home number once it hits your hand/account doe 
tired.gif

Ive been thinking about this scenario for a while now. A little background, im a cop in NJ. I made 110k last year with overtime. I have a HS diploma and 62 college credits. I hate my dept. i would like to switch over to another dept but that means i drop back to starting pay which is around 50k. I cant see myself being with this dept for my whole career, but i cant pull the trigger and take that 60k pay cut either

you will lose out on thousands of dollars in tax credits by taking the 100k job
the true difference is like 15k or so in cash

Keep in mind most 100k jobs are just not 8hrs/5 days a week. Most likely you will be working 10-12 hrs a day. Sometimes on the weekends. Very little time for friends and family or anything else for that matter.

Keep in mind most 100k jobs are just not 8hrs/5 days a week. Most likely you will be working 10-12 hrs a day. Sometimes on the weekends. Very little time for friends and family or anything else for that matter.

Well yea, that comes with the territory. But it depends what you want in life. I'll gladly work 10 hours 5 days a week and an occasional Saturday or 2 per Quarter or something for 120-200k. It's what I expect to do in my field. I don't need to make the 500k like one of my best friends makes at the age of 27 since he truly has no time to enjoy it. It all comes down to what is important to the person.

Yeah.....article makes sense. Kids have way more options to explore and taking a pay decrease won't hurt them at all. I mean some can still live at home while taking a 40K job and still have a lot to show for it. Plus they don't know any better as far as what getting lots of money can do for them. For most, it's hard for people to go from a high paying to a low paying job. For them, they are probably just happy to get a job that they love to do.

But that really is the difference between the younger generation and the older ones. Younger people want instant gratification and quality of life right now. Older generation wants to work hard so they can retire at a proper time. That is why my mom doesn't get why people are so picky with their occupation but then she literally hasn't traveled outside of California aside from Hawaii. She thinks all these kids traveling are wasting money. Can you believe that.

Take the 100K and work for a bit. This gives you more leverage to have a high salary later even with a pay cut.

Back
Top Bottom