Chuck Barkely talking about black people... again...

the reason why black dudes go broke is b/c a lot of them never knew money management coming up b/c they were poor as ****...

the same w/ lotto winners... it's not just a black thing, and i hate that it's perpetuated like that. look at the amount of lottery winners that go broke...

i can bet money if you look at prior income to wealth, it's directly correlated w/ how fast they lose their money... you have SOME outliers

Gotta take issue with this point (somewhat).

Was I living paycheck-to-paycheck when I was working retail for $8.50/hour? Absolutely.

HOWEVER: was I living paycheck-to-paycheck when I got a job making $21/hour?  Absolutely NOT.

Why?  Because I understand that lifestyle inflation is stupid.  

It's not like I was extremely privileged all my life...I was raised by a single mother that made $30K a year.  I was just fortunate enough to learn to live within my means from her.  

It's not a "black" thing, it's not a "poor" thing, it's a "stupid" thing...and stupid people come in all colors.

Lotto winners are a bad example.  I've never encountered a smart person that buys lottery tickets regularly.

The lottery is pretty much a tax on people that are too dumb to understand probability.  

I maybe wrong, but I think Ricky is referring to how a lot of lotto winners blow their winnings and end up broke.

Last edited:
Not in the least.

"Concerned" is the word.

Look, man:  you've already told us you've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, you're admittedly off your meds, and you're on NT talking all sorts of crazy (as usual).

Like I said: I'm not trying to throw shade.  I'm just a healthcare worker that's had my own bouts with mental illness (I suffer from clinical depression).  I'm trying to be empathetic but also assertive enough to make you realize that your condition is something that requires lifelong treatment.  

I've told you this before, but this will be my last (public) post regarding this. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

the reason why black dudes go broke is b/c a lot of them never knew money management coming up b/c they were poor as ****...

the same w/ lotto winners... it's not just a black thing, and i hate that it's perpetuated like that. look at the amount of lottery winners that go broke...

i can bet money if you look at prior income to wealth, it's directly correlated w/ how fast they lose their money... you have SOME outliers

Was I living paycheck-to-paycheck when I was working retail for $8.50/hour? Absolutely.

HOWEVER: was I living paycheck-to-paycheck when I got a job making $21/hour?  Absolutely NOT.

It's not like I was extremely privileged all my life...I was raised by a single mother that made $30K a year.  I was just fortunate enough to learn to live within my means from her.  

It's not a "black" thing, it's not a "poor" thing, it's a "stupid" thing...and stupid people come in all colors.

Lotto winners are a bad example.  I've never encountered a smart person that buys lottery tickets regularly.

The lottery is pretty much a tax on people that are too dumb to understand probability.  
I maybe wrong, but I think Ricky is referring to how a lot of lotto winners blow their winnings and end up broke.
He is....but he's comparing lottery winners to everyday people (minorities, in this instance).

Lotto winners blow their money because they weren't smart to begin with.  Like I said: if you're buying lotto tickets on a regular basis, it's hard for me to consider you a reasonably intelligent individual.  

If your one-way ticket out of the hole you're in is a scratch-off or a set of PowerBall numbers, your poverty is a symptom of a bigger problem.  

[@=https://niketalk.com/members/79697"Concerned" is the word.

Look, man:  you've already told us you've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, you're admittedly off your meds, and you're on NT talking all sorts of crazy (as usual).

Like I said: I'm not trying to throw shade.  I'm just a healthcare worker that's had my own bouts with mental illness (I suffer from clinical depression).  I'm trying to be empathetic but also assertive enough to make you realize that your condition is something that requires lifelong treatment.  

I've told you this before, but this will be my last (public) post regarding this. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Take this into consideration, this is helpful. Those stupid "flourish" posts and smileys in response to you when you're clearly zoned out are not helping. Get some help bro, for real.

REP for many points made in this post.

Money management really doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort or know how, even a sliver of foresight can allow decisions today to make better tomorrow.

I think most know what they're doing is self-destructive, they just live in the moment and thrive off instant gratification, likely due to distractions like media, material status, etc.

Last edited:
Charles brings up a great point, but he is leaving out half the guilty party on this issue. I've def heard this from my black friends, but I've also heard this from my white friends (yes they were checked on site). When white kids do it, I almost get it, they feel threatened by articulate black men. But for our own people to do it to me shows a deep-seated belief that equates intelligence with skin color. Thing is, this isn't individuals who mean cause harm to me, or "hold me back" so to speak- at least in my experience. It tends to be a combination of friends by association and women I've dated. They will say something pretty ****** up (unknowingly). They either label as white because I use a certain term, or pronounce all my consonants,also they generally use a flippant tone on something that really isn't funny. The moment we as black people start to consider well educated blacks the norm, is the moment it will become the norm.

I think back to a situation during my undergrad years when I was in a very "liberal" area of the united states. I was with a racially mixed group of friends while riding public transportation. To our left there were 2 African men speaking fluent French to each other, my white friend leans over and says:
'wow, that's crazy they are speaking flawless French' 
'word?'
'yeah, I mean that's crazy'
'no, it's not actually, french is their native language'

Had to check that ****. Dude STILL tried to argue with me on why it was amazing. It is hard enough having to fight this from outside sources, let alone people who look like me. This pervasive ignorance that we as black people endure :smh: . We also have to stop feeding into what the society has deemed as white, and make it colorless.

You continue to disappoint your s/n..

He does speak the truth, however, The issues that he brought up are not just prevalent among blacks, but every other race as well. People often remain ignorant and/or act a certain way out of fear of leaving their roots or being accused of turning their back on their own kind.

As far as his audience, it's not like there are many primarily black audiences that would even give him the opportunity to speak on this. The Michael Baisden show (who also agreed with Sir Charles) is the only one I can think of. Apparently, the message got out, you guys are well aware of it now.

Majority of the black community is brainwashed into backwards thinking and I don't know what can be done to stop it.

During slavery, blacks more than likely saw whites as the enemy and wanted to be nothing like them. This hatred was passed down to future generations and the children were taught to be nothing like the enemy. There's still racism that exists so people still want to disassociate all forms of the enemy or "whiteness". I even catch myself speaking more casually to my friends because I don't want to hear them commenting on why I speak so proper, like I do at work.

There's a lot wrong with the black community, I don't even know where to begin. And it's off topic, but it seems were the only race that glorifies killing our own people. The idea of killing black men has always been accepted, encouraged and profitable. We kill ourselves so I don't even trip when certain people say a group of young black men that are dressed a certain way look dangerous, there are times that it's true. I understand that generations of oppression contributed to the corruption of the impoverished black male psyche, but I don't care, you should know right from wrong.

The fact that big and pac are worshiped as martyrs says a lot about the attitude of our race. When boosie was released from prison, son had a press conference with a gold throne. A throne. As if he's royalty. I'm done trying to figure people out, B. I'm just trying to live good and make money for my future family.

Last edited:
First of all, dudes shouldn't be going to white talk shows/radio shows to discuss black issues in the the first place.

Anytime someone says "Black people are the only people:...." ignorance usually follows.

The only thing he said that was kind of on point was the street cred/get made fun of if we talk proper thing. But that has to do with our youth (and we all did it when we were young too) placing too much idolization on urban/rapper culture that some white exec in glasses and suspenders made up anyways.

B07kBnMCcAIXddr.png

Get your intellectual opinions on race in America from Charles Barkley guys :lol:

View media item 1234649
For all you idiots talking about you agree with Charles be prepared to have this throw in your face by white racists whenever you try to talk about racism in America. Keep on disparaging your people in the media and making it easier for them brehs. At this point all they gotta do is sit back with a cup of scotch like :smokin while we fight amongst each other.

Last edited:
Umm, Charles gets paid to say controversial things that get people talking.
Besides that and his contributions to NBA history he has very little to no appeal.
What did people expect?

My issue with Barkely is that he oversimplified the plight of the Black Community to it solely being the attitudes of some individuals. While some of us on NT might understand that there is way more to the issue, just by peering over the comments of youtube/imgur/any article highlighting this you will get a lot of comments like..."I knew it"

The larger majority will mangle Charles' words even further...

I hate sports with a passion nowadays,

Everything about it irks the hell out of me,

I ignore it as much as i can but then it just gets plasteted all over, i dont know the ravens record but i do know one of their players had a woman shaped punching bag in an elevator.

Every other week theres a stupid story involving these overpaid idiots running their mouth or getting caught doin some dumb ish just shut up play ur game and keep it moving.

As for charles the only good thing he did was his part on look whos talking.

Last edited:

He is....but he's comparing lottery winners to everyday people (minorities, in this instance).

Lotto winners blow their money because they weren't smart to begin with.  Like I said: if you're buying lotto tickets on a regular basis, it's hard for me to consider you a reasonably intelligent individual.  

If your one-way ticket out of the hole you're in is a scratch-off or a set of PowerBall numbers getting a professional sport contract, your poverty is a symptom of a bigger problem.  
see how that works?

come on, CF... you're smarter than this, bud.

You're comparing you getting a $32k / year raise... to a cat going from literally having little to no money in high school/college... to getting several millions...

also...

here's some data...

70% of lottery winners are broke after 7 years... SOURCE

78% of professional sports players are broke within 5 years... SOURCE

how is it any different?

you unexpectedly come into large sums of money that you didnt have before. you're not used to having that amount of money, or you just are unaware of financial responsibliity b/c you did not HAVE to manage that much money.

long range planning skills arent developed when you're 22 for athletes... and most people who play the lottery, like you said, arent really the smartest financially based on odds alone.

you say it's not a black or a poor thing... it's stupid...

and i agree...

but stupid is subjective... figures back up that most people who come into large amounts of money were either poor or lower middle class prior... and that's objective.

Last edited:
Charles is the LAST person who needs to speak on black people. Not even gonna watch cause I know he's an idiot.

Personally don't care for an extreme black republican who only dates white women opinion

Not saying I have a problem with black republicans because I don't but I can't Rock with charles on these subjects

Tap dancing ***** ain't my cup of tea

Barkley isn't right about anything. He simplified a issue, that he isn't intelligent enough to fully comprehend to explain properly.

Why are "some" black people anti-education, maybe that has something to do with generations of black people not being allowed to even read, and beaten if they did. Funny how 50 years is supposed to erase the previous 300.

A lot of people are putting their own hang ups in to what he said. You were treated differently or were picked on, because you were corny, different or didn't fit in. There were intelligent people who didn't. Kids got picked on for being poor, fat, short. It's what kids do.
The reason is true but eventually the black ppl of today are going to have to stop using the generations of oppression to excuse the present.

Kinda off topic but it's funny how black people don't have a problem with the n-word, unless a white person is saying it.

Back
Top Bottom