Careers 9-5 Vol. Can you do it ?

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Well if you look at it realistically, most jobs are 9-5. The different is the people with higher degree or experience earn higher paycheck. If you have your own business you work even longer and have more stress.
I speak from experience. There is a huge misconception that running your own business full time opposed to a 9-5 is "more fun". False.Sure...waking up at 10 AM, taking breaks whenever you want, working from home, etc. sounds good. But if you run a business that's lucrative enough that youcan afford to run it full time...best believe you'll be putting in 10X the work than the typical office/cubicle drone.

It's a trade off. You have to have the right work ethic. I do both right now.

Originally Posted by scribble253

Originally Posted by kevin2nd

i work in primarily in an office all day. full benefits. make decent money (80k+). 10 minute drive from my apartment (that i'm paying a mortgage on - not renting). beats the hell out of busting my back in the hot sun all damn day. going online helps. ergonomics helps. napping in the chair helps. reading a magazine on the crapper helps. servicing my fishing reels at the desk helps. game emulators help. truthfully though, just trying to waste time makes things go by slower than if i actually do work.......but that still doesn't stop me from doing more time wasters than actual work. let me illustrate how i use my time (looking busy is stuff like making fake graphs *see below* and typing emails to your friends or getting on aim/ time wasting is way more blatant like feet on the desk eating popcorn with your eyes closed or strumming on a guitar).

1zvaf00.jpg

14bt6rb.jpg
eek.gif
Your work life sounds just like mines. I never wanted to work the 9-5 gig, but unfortunately I have bills to pay. I remember growing up, I always said I wouldn't be working 9-5 in a cubicle deal and look at where I am now lol. I might just go back to school this fall and get another degree in the medical field.

kevin, what do you do? and how did you get that job? that's wild
laugh.gif
80k to do nothing but be bored

scribble, what degree in the medical field would you think about doing? how old are you?

Find something you LOVE and go for it. Keep that 9-5 or whatever you do to pay bills but keep pushing toward what you love to do. Everyone deserves tomake a living from what they love doing.

As long as you live it up on the weekends, the week is not so bad. What is there to do during the week anyway? Go hang out at the mall ?
grin.gif

I'm just happy to finally have a job. People out here struggling to find any kind of work...with Master's Degrees.

Thank you, Pitney Bowes.
laugh.gif

Id love to. Im currently working 10:30pm to 4:30 am. 7 days a week. Having the nights to kick back would be great.

Originally Posted by MR HiPPOH

Id love to. Im currently working 10:30pm to 4:30 am. 7 days a week. Having the nights to kick back would be great.
sick.gif
not having days off is not the move. I'm basicallygonna be in an office around computers my whole life, and i'm already tired of them not even jumping into career mode yet. All the time i say some $@%*like i'm gonna be an mma fighter or move to zimbabwe and build houses and $@%*.

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

laugh.gif

i'm one of the administators in the largest residential drug/alcohol treatment facility in the state. i lucked into the job. i went into rehab cause i wasthe worst kind of ice addict, alcoholic, scumbag criminal and while in rehab, they had me start an internship because i'm literate and a quick learner.from there i just worked my way up. i set up the systems to capture and analyze data (recidivism rates for different types of client profiles. clientsatisfaction etc.) i write alot of policies and procedures and i also do alot of family interventions and counseling. truth of the matter is that icannibalized/cut and pasted most of my stuff from sources on the internet lol. i got it down to where most of my reports and letters are already templates thatjust need slight tweaking depending on what i use it for. i didn't even go to college. 80k+/year is not that much in hawaii, but it's decent. i love myjob.

In 2 years- I will be working 50+ hours a week regularly and 70+ during busy season. It will suck, but if you put your time in, life will be so much easierwhen you're older.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, welcome to your quarter-life crisis. (For me at least)

I think with our current generation, since we see jobs are no longer guaranteed, this notion that if we bust our butts for 30-40 years, everything will bealright. But that's not the case as the recession proved otherwise. I've read some articles that said the current young generation rated findinghappiness as a higher priority than money but maybe cuz we're young, naive and idealistic...

Originally Posted by Yeezy St Laurent

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, welcome to your quarter-life crisis. (For me at least)

I think with our current generation, since we see jobs are no longer guaranteed, this notion that if we bust our butts for 30-40 years, everything will be alright. But that's not the case as the recession proved otherwise. I've read some articles that said the current young generation rated finding happiness as a higher priority than money but maybe cuz we're young, naive and idealistic...
I was just about to mention the quarter-life crisis
laugh.gif

I actually been talking about it with a few friends who are going through the same though process.

go back to school & further education? completely change fields? just say $*%% school and work for the next 35-40 years?
a few things that go through our minds at this age+current economic state

All I know is that I do not want to be a retail pharmacist. Working 12 hour days
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

At this point, I think I'd enjoy a 9-5, office job, but I know 1.5-2 years later, I'd be begging for a new scene. I think about this often, and is oneof the reasons I have chosen to pursue a career in dentistry. Generally, young professionals get the %*!$ end of the stick. However, experienced professionalsusually garner higher paychecks while working less hours. Simple enough. Dentistry also allows for specialization within the field. The variety here is veryappealing, IMO. My dream is to become a dentist in some specialty, while also delving into the money market.

At the end of the day, if you enjoy what you do, working 9-5 would be cake.

Originally Posted by kevin2nd

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

laugh.gif

i'm one of the administators in the largest residential drug/alcohol treatment facility in the state. i lucked into the job. i went into rehab cause i was the worst kind of ice addict, alcoholic, scumbag criminal and while in rehab, they had me start an internship because i'm literate and a quick learner. from there i just worked my way up. i set up the systems to capture and analyze data (recidivism rates for different types of client profiles. client satisfaction etc.) i write alot of policies and procedures and i also do alot of family interventions and counseling. truth of the matter is that i cannibalized/cut and pasted most of my stuff from sources on the internet lol. i got it down to where most of my reports and letters are already templates that just need slight tweaking depending on what i use it for. i didn't even go to college. 80k+/year is not that much in hawaii, but it's decent. i love my job.
damn kevin you got a job i'd love to have. not cause of the pay but more so of where you work and what you do

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

With the right coworkers, MAYBE. But as it stands I'd rather rap or trap... I'm just not built for a rigid schedule like that.
and if none of that works out....what's your backup plan, the NBA?

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

All I know is that I do not want to be a retail pharmacist. Working 12 hour days
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
I worked in a pharmacy/drug store for years during hs/beginning of college. Some stores had different hours, but it was pretty much 40 hourstotal for the week. Werther it was 5 days 8 hour shifts 4 days 10 hr shifts or 3 days 12 hour shifts. Most of the pharmacist's I talked to enjoyedworking those 3 days 12 hour shifts more than having to go in for 4-5 days. They get their work done all together and have more time to spend with theirfamily and do what they wanted to do during the week. Especially during the summer.. 1 of the pharmacist worked 3 days a week and the other 4 she was poolsidehanging out with her children. On top of all that pharmacists CAKE when it comes to salary

Yeah, I might give the NBA a shot after NASA...who knows? __s just love to wake up on my !%@! though. Have a bagel, at least. Eat some breakfast. Watch a movieor something. Try getting a %#@%%+* hobby besides keeping up with what the +*%$ I'm doing. FTR, I'm also a full time college student. You guys happynow? Am I living my life to your standards well enough? Is it ok if I do me now? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom