[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

Cool thread.. I've been "downsizing" over the past year myself, more so to buy something different aka sell 2 pairs to buy 1 new pair, but I don't even have that crazy of a collection. I have about 30-35 pairs of basketball shoes, 3 pairs of AM90 for daily wear, 1 pair of running shoes and 1 pair of training shoes. The training shoes I could do without so once those wear out then I'll just have 1 pair of shoes I use for running+training.

There are still a few shoes I will never ever sell no matter what.

Posting in here to subscribe so I remember to list more of my kicks on FB Marketplace, eBay and GOAT.

Can't believe I just figured out today how to require payment for Best Offers and not just BIN. It's a game changer as I've had so many offers I've accepted only to have them never pay. Now if they make an offer and I accept payment is made automatically.

Can't believe I just figured out today how to require payment for Best Offers and not just BIN. It's a game changer as I've had so many offers I've accepted only to have them never pay. Now if they make an offer and I accept payment is made automatically.

How do you do that? I think I'm finally going to make the jump to Ebay. I've been avoidant because I don't have that much to get rid of and sometimes it feels like it's not worth the effort, but even if it's just like 10 pairs I feel like I'd rather just have the money. So yeah, how do you do that?

How do you do that? I think I'm finally going to make the jump to Ebay. I've been avoidant because I don't have that much to get rid of and sometimes it feels like it's not worth the effort, but even if it's just like 10 pairs I feel like I'd rather just have the money. So yeah, how do you do that?

eBay Buyer Management: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerRequirements

Scroll down the to bottom to see the option.

Hows the market nowadays for used sneakers on ebay? Im not looking for the highest offer just need to get rid of excess boxes in the house

Posting for later, I need this thread. It's time. Finding boxes of shoes I ordered, never opened the UPS box and forget I ever had them. Several years later.

Wow, that's severe. Note that if they're from Nike, unworn shoes that are even years old can usually be returned. I've done this on a number of occasions.

Hows the market nowadays for used sneakers on ebay? Im not looking for the highest offer just need to get rid of excess boxes in the house

I think it's still surprisingly still well. I've sold some used shoes on eBay and they can surprisingly be a good decent amount of viewers/watchers/bidders. Any amount of money is better than no amount, really.

Posting for later, I need this thread. It's time. Finding boxes of shoes I ordered, never opened the UPS box and forget I ever had them. Several years later.

JEEZ, for real? That's all bad. Yeah like pwguy pwguy said, you might still be able to send them back. What kind of shoes were they, do you think?

I've been using eBay for used shoes. ex. Today my 2013 FRs sold for $90. Enjoyed wearing them and ultimately turned them into beaters. Will never wear them again as I have the '23 FRs and other beaters to wear as needed. Honestly would have let them go for 80 bucks.

So basically rotting under the bed. As a 10 year old shoe, and the guy paid $115 after taxes and shipping, I think that's pretty reasonable to offload another box. Still have a bunch of other listings, and regretting not taking some offers on my Motorsport 4s, but hopefully decent offers will come at some point.

I'm being ruthless about getting rid of pairs I just don't wear often, even a few that I really love, but just never wear anymore; enough is enough.

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve stopped stressing over shoes I don’t hit on. Being size 13 helps cause i never hit :lol: I have about 36 pairs and I barely wear 3/4 of them. If I am really interested in a shoe, a shoe or two gotta go. But I’m at a point where that decision is becoming difficult cause outside 4-5 pairs, everything is quality kicks.

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve stopped stressing over shoes I don’t hit on. Being size 13 helps cause i never hit :lol: I have about 36 pairs and I barely wear 3/4 of them. If I am really interested in a shoe, a shoe or two gotta go. But I’m at a point where that decision is becoming difficult cause outside 4-5 pairs, everything is quality kicks.

You bet it does. But it's also my reason for my sneakerhead-dom. If I could just get a shoe when I wanted a shoe, for the most part, I would never have got into this life

Glad to have found this thread. I decided to downsize a few years ago (pre-pandemic) and the lowest my collection ever went down to was 4 pairs and it was honestly the most freeing thing to not have to stress about what I was going wear on my feet everyday.

Similar story to you all here but here are a few things that helped me whittle my collection down:

- Watching the countless videos of dudes busting out DS Jordans and seeing the soles crumble right before their eyes
- Watching the dejected look on my toddler daughter's face after I yelled at her for stepping on the toe box of my NBs
- Having health issues that made me realize that in the event of an untimely exit my wife and daughters would be tasked with getting rid of my collection

I just recently got back into "collecting" last year and my collection has now ballooned to a whopping 8 pairs and it already feels like too much (two of the pairs were gifts). Hoping to keep it under 10 forever :smile:

Best of luck to you all on your journeys!

Got a question for yall. I’ve got a few pair I’d really love to give away to some young cats that need em and would never dream of receiving a pair of used classic J’s.
Any legit websites for sneaker donation y’all aware of? Or a different mechanism that’ll match shoe size to a kid or young person?

ok after a quick google search there are several good options, but still curious if y’all got any specifics or got love for a particular charity or method

Last edited:
Damn, I've been looking for a thread like this lol. I'm trying to figure out whats a reasonable amount of shoes to have lol.

You should be banned from earth when you don't pay after an offer you made was accepted. Sick of this ****
Hate that **** especially if you’ve been communicating with them. Like c’mon

One recently dude hit me up about best price. After a couple of back and forth, we agreed to a price. He sends an offer, I accept. Next day he message me saying can I cancel cause he had an emergency that came up. I said nah.

Funds should be withdrawn from your account automatically once seller accepts offer.

See my earlier post about enforcing payment when they make an offer. There's a setting for that requirement.

See my earlier post about enforcing payment when they make an offer. There's a setting for that requirement.
I already have that set and it still didn't make it automatic. **** is weird I may have done something wrong

Maybe I’ll buy em 🤣

1688001760052.gif

Glad to have found this thread. I decided to downsize a few years ago (pre-pandemic) and the lowest my collection ever went down to was 4 pairs and it was honestly the most freeing thing to not have to stress about what I was going wear on my feet everyday.

Similar story to you all here but here are a few things that helped me whittle my collection down:

- Watching the countless videos of dudes busting out DS Jordans and seeing the soles crumble right before their eyes
- Watching the dejected look on my toddler daughter's face after I yelled at her for stepping on the toe box of my NBs
- Having health issues that made me realize that in the event of an untimely exit my wife and daughters would be tasked with getting rid of my collection

I just recently got back into "collecting" last year and my collection has now ballooned to a whopping 8 pairs and it already feels like too much (two of the pairs were gifts). Hoping to keep it under 10 forever :smile:

Best of luck to you all on your journeys!

When it comes to those moments when family reactions are tattooed in your head, those will hit so differently... just family and friends in general and how relationships can be affected.

Got a question for yall. I’ve got a few pair I’d really love to give away to some young cats that need em and would never dream of receiving a pair of used classic J’s.
Any legit websites for sneaker donation y’all aware of? Or a different mechanism that’ll match shoe size to a kid or young person?

ok after a quick google search there are several good options, but still curious if y’all got any specifics or got love for a particular charity or method

I've personally looked for local charities around that aren't Goodwill/Salvation Army and any of that sorts. It will take a bit of digging around, but there should be some. I don't know if this is a good idea, but if there are schools around that you know could benefit with this type of donations, that'd be great to explore as well.

Damn, I've been looking for a thread like this lol. I'm trying to figure out whats a reasonable amount of shoes to have lol.

Haha, welcome! From what I've learned in the past year, I feel like there is no magic number that all of us should be. It's really more of a minimalism philosophy where you'd feel you have enough, and what could be considered enough are your favorite ones that you'll always wear. It'll take time for sure to figure that out. Some of us are happy in the 5-10 range, others in 11-20, and others in 20-30 and so on. But ultimately when it comes to downsizing or decluttering, it'd be going down to something you'd be most happy with. Then eventually, you hit different phases of it too where the collection gets even smaller.

Case in point, when flakers make an offer and I accept it still won't process automatically

Hmm...weird. Since I changed that setting it's worked for me.

In terms of number in the collection, I probably had about 70, and have offloaded ten or so, with another ten or so still listed. I think about 30-40 would be my sweet spot. I mean, I'm never going to be a "normal" person with 10. Believe it or not, until I got back into sneakers, I would never have more than 3, and would purchase only when one of those wore out...heh.

And 3-40 don't take up a crazy amount of space in the closet really.

Back
Top Bottom