[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

ONCE THE EPIPHANY MOMENT HITS, EVERYTHING MUST GO.

I DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MAKING MY MONEY BACK, I JUST NEED EM GONE! SOME $$ IS BETTER THAN NO $$. I DONT HAVE TIME TO GO BACK AND FORTH WITH LOWBALLERS, ETC. YOU WANT THEM, YOU GOT THEM. šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚

That's EXACTLY my mentality when I sold the 135 pairs. The number wasn't anywhere near retail, but it was something that was honestly fine with me and the seller and he came and took them all. At the end of the day, we were both happy with how the deal went. šŸ‘

ONCE THE EPIPHANY MOMENT HITS, EVERYTHING MUST GO.

I DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MAKING MY MONEY BACK, I JUST NEED EM GONE! SOME $$ IS BETTER THAN NO $$. I DONT HAVE TIME TO GO BACK AND FORTH WITH LOWBALLERS, ETC. YOU WANT THEM, YOU GOT THEM. šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚
That's where I'm at, but it sounds like I may be doing a bit more negotiating than most. I can't help myself when I have something listed for $100 and they offer $60. They are most definitely getting a counter to $90 to where I'm focused on snap accepting their $75-80 recounter.

As of last week I have sold everything that was deadstock + a few used pairs. Now it'll be a lot of older beat up air maxes and what not that either provide no comfort or I have no interest in ever putting on. 15 pairs sold and +$2,500 back into the bank. Hopefully I can move another 25 pairs in the next few months.

Here is a tip: Imagine in your mind Dylan is the new face of Nike/Jordan ads .... that will get you to downsize

:emoji_innocent:

It's the padded bra, it's gotta be the padded bra, right?
Do you know, do you know, do you know?

Just counted my collection of shoesā€¦I have a total of 53 wearable shoes in rotation(54 really but it be needs a simple reglue).

I donā€™t really want to downsize currently or in general, as I do want a lot of shoes I donā€™t own currently, but I want a more purposeful sneaker collection. Sure every shoe doesnā€™t have to be a signature model or some exclusive sneaker that no one has, but with so many shoes, I always have the ones I go to first out of 50ā€¦so kind of defeats the purpose of owning so many. But when I had like 20-30, every single one for sure was worn, I made a conscious effort in doing so as well.

I donā€™t ever see myself giving on sneakers as I feel itā€™s a part of my identity(for better or worse reasons). Working at a shoe store with other people who are into shoes is definitely fun as well as being the ā€œsneaker headā€ in the group at work as well lol. It can definitely be a expensive hobby and which is why I kind of leaned towards more budget brands and sales in recent months, but never have I thought of giving it up as of yetā€¦havenā€™t reached that point at the age of 30. I also donā€™t make that much which plays a major factor as well so I have to make some decisions with what I want to do with myself. I want to build my career with Shoe Palace, at the same time, I feel like more money will just get me more caught up into a bigger world of materialistic items I want no part ofā€¦which could mean issues outside of just more income.

Just my two cents. Felt this was the right thread to put it in.

Been really motivated by following a lot of personal finance/development content, and combined with the motivating moment I had from those posts in the AM1 thread back in mid-December about downsizing, I'm down to 16 or 17 pairs. While I have 4 extras (2 each of the Infrared AM90s and Grape Huaraches), 3 performance shoes (2 hiking/inclement weather shoes, and 1 training shoes) and 1 commemorative pair to keep aside, I really rotate 9 pairs of shoes now. It's funny how it feels strange to have a way simpler rotation as it feels boring, but it also feels way easy on the mind.

My two shoes I planned for awhile that I bought just didn't work out, so it made no sense to keep them despite how nice they were (AJ13 Playoffs and AM1 Big Bubbles). It's also a habit I continue to build too.

Been really motivated by following a lot of personal finance/development content, and combined with the motivating moment I had from those posts in the AM1 thread back in mid-December about downsizing, I'm down to 16 or 17 pairs. While I have 4 extras (2 each of the Infrared AM90s and Grape Huaraches), 3 performance shoes (2 hiking/inclement weather shoes, and 1 training shoes) and 1 commemorative pair to keep aside, I really rotate 9 pairs of shoes now. It's funny how it feels strange to have a way simpler rotation as it feels boring, but it also feels way easy on the mind.

My two shoes I planned for awhile that I bought just didn't work out, so it made no sense to keep them despite how nice they were (AJ13 Playoffs and AM1 Big Bubbles). It's also a habit I continue to build too.
Congratulations on the downsizing. It may seem or feel boring, believe me, it's definitely not. You feel much more free with all those pairs gone. I recently took down the shelving I bought when I moved my collection into my garage. These are really nice heavy duty restaurant grade adjustables that were only used for the shoes. Now that I took them down, my garage looks so much cleaner and I can put a workbench in it's place to build model cars on (and the blank walls will have more automobilia on them with my Hot Wheels collection.

All I have to do now, is figure out how to sell my OG stuff. Stuff that really isn't wearable anymore but pairs I'm sure some would want for a collection to seal up with plastic to hang onto. eBay maybe? Not sure.

Congratulations on the downsizing. It may seem or feel boring, believe me, it's definitely not. You feel much more free with all those pairs gone. I recently took down the shelving I bought when I moved my collection into my garage. These are really nice heavy duty restaurant grade adjustables that were only used for the shoes. Now that I took them down, my garage looks so much cleaner and I can put a workbench in it's place to build model cars on (and the blank walls will have more automobilia on them with my Hot Wheels collection.

All I have to do now, is figure out how to sell my OG stuff. Stuff that really isn't wearable anymore but pairs I'm sure some would want for a collection to seal up with plastic to hang onto. eBay maybe? Not sure.

Thank you! I will admit that I didn't downsize from anything drastic, but to go from about 22-25 pairs to that has been really nice. The motivation's gotten me to start amping up my focus on the different lifestyle I'm looking to create, just like what Rose mentioned in that video. Got tempted on some Jordan 3s yesterday (the Wizards PE), but I ultimately passed.

That's dope! Seeing a lot of space is so peaceful-feeling. You might wanna reach out to consignment stores that may be willing to take them?

Thank you! I will admit that I didn't downsize from anything drastic, but to go from about 22-25 pairs to that has been really nice. The motivation's gotten me to start amping up my focus on the different lifestyle I'm looking to create, just like what Rose mentioned in that video. Got tempted on some Jordan 3s yesterday (the Wizards PE), but I ultimately passed.

That's dope! Seeing a lot of space is so peaceful-feeling. You might wanna reach out to consignment stores that may be willing to take them?

It's funny you mentioned consignment shops. There is a pretty big one near me now with several locations. I sold stuff to him a year and a half ago. He did tell me he won't take stuff past a certain date because he can't guarantee the shoes are wearable. I said, you have the policy clearly marked. He said it didn't matter as they would still try to return them if they came apart.

Strange as Sole Supremacy in California, who's been on eBay forever, and has a storefront, and does a KILLER business (cashes out people to the tube of 5 figures a lot), routinely sells old shoes on his eBay page. He clearly states any shoes past x number of years old cannot be guaranteed wearable. Purchase at your discretion. And he doesn't have any returns. Some places are different I guess. I'll probably just throw them up on eBay, with several disclaimers to CMA, and see what they sell for. šŸ¤·

I would love to get rid of like 20-30 pairs... but I really dont feel like doing that 1099. Still, if I can let go of them used for retail then I probably will because Im running out of space and theres a bunch of shoes I rarely wear. I wish I still lived in a bigger city where the majority of people on FB marketplace dont waste your time.

Not downsizing, but more plateauing/quitting and buying when I need a pair to replace something worn out.
-Sneakers haven't been the same for the past 6-7 years for me.
-It used to be a niche culture and just very unique in its own way. Now everyone has the same pair of dunks, Jordan, etc and is a "sneakerhead"
-There was an excitement of going to the "local" sneaker boutique (in the city) was awesome to see the styles you couldn't get anywhere else and then not being able to justify the purchase as a student. Now, you see the same stuff in every store, or there's no stock.
-Shoes are unattainable now - gotta hit on a raffle, bots, in store only, limited size runs, etc. The thrill of picking up a pair you wanted in person isn't there anymore. No time (family, work, etc) and live outside the city. Even the local skateshop with SB account moved to the city maybe 12-15 years ago.

Whatever I have left I'm going to keep for nostagia and maybe display as "art" (early 2000's Nike basketball, VC 1 shox! )
Few pairs of Dunk SB (10-15 years DS like wtf was I thinking, lol, doesn't help living up North)

[edit] Forgot to mention, I've never had more than 25 pairs to begin with

Last edited:
Got rid of 6 pairs yesterday and it feels great. I was selling off offer up but I didnā€™t want it to sit so I sold it off to a resale store. Wasnā€™t expecting to getting what I want but Iā€™m glad to leave with something. Plan on selling more.

I would love to get rid of like 20-30 pairs... but I really dont feel like doing that 1099. Still, if I can let go of them used for retail then I probably will because Im running out of space and theres a bunch of shoes I rarely wear. I wish I still lived in a bigger city where the majority of people on FB marketplace dont waste your time.
do deals with NTers

Is there a place to list sneakers on this forum? The classified section seems bare?

Edit: NM - I don't have enough posts anyway.

About 2 - 3 weeks worth of non-stop deals and steals from Nike.com and lots of other stores/boutiques on a lot of items I was interested at some point (and still am interested at the moment) yet somehow I passed on all of them.

Doing a yard sale this weekend and decided to put some shoes in there. Time to let go for the low.

About 2 - 3 weeks worth of non-stop deals and steals from Nike.com and lots of other stores/boutiques on a lot of items I was interested at some point (and still am interested at the moment) yet somehow I passed on all of them.

I'm proud of you. That takes a lot of will power and isn't easy to do, but when the release date passes and you don't pull the trigger, the feeling is much better than actual getting the pair of shoes. šŸ‘

Doing a yard sale this weekend and decided to put some shoes in there. Time to let go for the low.

Great idea. šŸ‘ It's how I got rid of my 135 pairs. A simple CL ad and poof, all gone at once.

Gonna post my OG stuff that can't really be worn on eBay for low prices just to sell them to collectors who want them. Should be posting them hopefully this week once I take pics of each pair.

I'm proud of you. That takes a lot of will power and isn't easy to do, but when the release date passes and you don't pull the trigger, the feeling is much better than actual getting the pair of shoes. šŸ‘

Thank you! Yeah, I found it very interesting how much this willpower came through like this. Maybe it's the constant reminders of what I want for my future self and remember what I enjoy most about sneakers (history, art, the tech) and what I don't (the hurdles and hoops of buying it, the numbness of enjoying buying a pair of shoes after doing it constantly for so long). Of course, there will be the few instances where I'd really like it so much to where I can make exceptions.

I don't know if anyone's watch "How to Get Rich" on Netflix by Ramit Sethi, but I found his show and his podcast really inspiring. Even though it still revolves the basic money principles, he spins it by talking to people in an inside-out manner by having people talk about what they want in a "rich"/fulfilling life and how to achieve it using money principles as a tool. His mantra is about "spending extravagantly on the things you love, and cutting costs mercilessly on the things you don't," and that reminded me to reinvent my enjoyment for shoes by my perspective I just mentioned. Most personal finance stuff is just that straight up tactical method of "pay off debt, save for retirement, etc" stuff which is still fine, but it takes more than just straight logic at times.

Thank you! Yeah, I found it very interesting how much this willpower came through like this. Maybe it's the constant reminders of what I want for my future self and remember what I enjoy most about sneakers (history, art, the tech) and what I don't (the hurdles and hoops of buying it, the numbness of enjoying buying a pair of shoes after doing it constantly for so long). Of course, there will be the few instances where I'd really like it so much to where I can make exceptions.

I don't know if anyone's watch "How to Get Rich" on Netflix by Ramit Sethi, but I found his show and his podcast really inspiring. Even though it still revolves the basic money principles, he spins it by talking to people in an inside-out manner by having people talk about what they want in a "rich"/fulfilling life and how to achieve it using money principles as a tool. His mantra is about "spending extravagantly on the things you love, and cutting costs mercilessly on the things you don't," and that reminded me to reinvent my enjoyment for shoes by my perspective I just mentioned. Most personal finance stuff is just that straight up tactical method of "pay off debt, save for retirement, etc" stuff which is still fine, but it takes more than just straight logic at times.

I'm with you on a few instances coming up as well. I'm definitely grabbing a pair of the Flight Huarache and also the Mac Attack. Those, especially the Macs won't come back anytime soon. But for me it's very few and far between in regards to pairs that I want. šŸ‘

Joining this thread because I need to sell more of my pairs. They own me more than I own them.

If you have any questions buddy, feel free to shoot me a message on IG. I sent you a message yesterday in regards to some clothing. Not sure if you got it or not. šŸ‘

I've sold several pairs on eBay pretty quick after posting, however, the other 9 I have on there just won't move. Even offers I've accepted lame buyers don't pay, and unless they agree to cancel, you've gotta wait 4 business days of non-payment before cancelling. Very frustrating process.

Joining this thread because I need to sell more of my pairs. They own me more than I own them.

Been there before! It'll be good to regain that ownership and let stuff go. It's worth it.

I've sold several pairs on eBay pretty quick after posting, however, the other 9 I have on there just won't move. Even offers I've accepted lame buyers don't pay, and unless they agree to cancel, you've gotta wait 4 business days of non-payment before cancelling. Very frustrating process.

That's one reason why I wanted out. It's like the retail days dealing with flakers and all that haha.

Back
Top Bottom