[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

ID? BACKGROUND CHECK?? 🤣🤣🤣. HAVE YOU NEVER SOLD SNEAKERS BEFORE?
Yeah, ID. And for background, I just mean looking up their name on fb or otherwise making sure you're not meeting up with some crazy person. People around my way have gotten guns put to their heads after calling for an Uber. You can't just meet up with anybody where I stay at, you might get got. Hell, there have been people who have lived next door to folks and the people come for them, have the wrong address, and shoot and kill you. Somebody was killed a couple months ago because they drove a similar car as someone else who had done a drive by a month before. Gotta be safe out my way. And I don't even stay in the bad part - and want to keep it that way. I'm selling shoes, not drugs. But there's extreme wealth and income inequality around here so some folks are desperate and will kill you for what little bit of stuff you have.

I'd even take the fees for Stockx but I draw the line at having to report this **** on my taxes as if I'm running a profit making enterprise.

So yeah, I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell off some of these shoes I neded up not needing, with the lowest fees and the lowest drama.

Last week was a huge day for me. Got rid of like 85% of my entire collection (about 135 pairs) in one shot. I lost money on the deal I know, but I gained so much relief having them gone. Huge weight off my back. Used CL to do it and found someone who was actually interested in taking the entire photo album I had of the shoes for sale. Some real gems in there from an OG old head perspective (Flights, various Reeboks, etc). But now, with so much room in my garage now, it's fantastic. Can finally add some of the car photos on the wall & some wall mounted cases for my small Hot Wheels collection.

Just gotta get rid of the restaurant grade adjustable shelving I bought for them many years ago. Hope that sells easily. These were some NICE shelves I got for them. Can store 4 wide and I had it set to hold 3 high. Kept a few cool pairs that I didn't want to lose (Reebok Pump Battleground OG retro from 2004 was one of them). But the levity from it is very therapeutic.

Holy hell, that's one hell of a sale! Congratulations on that and freeing up space! How're you feeling right now in terms of looking back? I can tell you when I got rid of ~30 pairs at once, I felt so relieved without feeling bad/remorseful looking back.

Yeah, ID. And for background, I just mean looking up their name on fb or otherwise making sure you're not meeting up with some crazy person. People around my way have gotten guns put to their heads after calling for an Uber. You can't just meet up with anybody where I stay at, you might get got. Hell, there have been people who have lived next door to folks and the people come for them, have the wrong address, and shoot and kill you. Somebody was killed a couple months ago because they drove a similar car as someone else who had done a drive by a month before. Gotta be safe out my way. And I don't even stay in the bad part - and want to keep it that way. I'm selling shoes, not drugs. But there's extreme wealth and income inequality around here so some folks are desperate and will kill you for what little bit of stuff you have.

I'd even take the fees for Stockx but I draw the line at having to report this **** on my taxes as if I'm running a profit making enterprise.

So yeah, I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell off some of these shoes I neded up not needing, with the lowest fees and the lowest drama.

I know a lot of people do their swaps/meet ups at Police Stations.

Can you talk more about the logistics of the sale? I'd love to move mine, and in chunks would be good. I probably only have 35 shoes to get sold (I'm not a true collector, I wear mine to ball in, just a matter of time).

But anyway, the thought of dealing with scammers, somebody trying to rob you etc, isn't fun. Did you use venmo or cashapp or something else? And did you meet up somewhere, or have him come to your house? Did you ask for id or background info or what?

Sure. I posted an ad on CL for my collection, thinking I was going to sell pairs one at a time. I put 24 of my best shoes and in the description I wrote that I had about 130 pairs for sale. But CL won't allow any links to Google. So I had to explain I had an "album" that I can share with anyone who inquires about what I have. When I got an email from CL, I replied with the Google Album link.

Got a message from someone, we went back and forth a few times then we talked on the phone. Being I was in auto sales for 23 years (before I left do to health) I am VERY good at reading people. I got the sense this guy was on the straight and narrow. He only wanted a few pairs but asked about buying the whole thing. I gave him a number, which was too high, then I countered and we made a deal.

Had him meet me at my home and he and I loaded his car up. Funds were via check as we both went to my bank where he wrote a check and I directly put into my account. The bank zips the check through the machine. 100% best transaction ever. And I had several people flake on me before hand. He in turn looked me up and found I was legit. I don't have FB and only have Instagram. But googling my name will show old pics of my profile at the dealership. But all in all, I was so happy. Especially seeing 2 huge shelves empty, and a 3rd half empty.

Sure. I posted an ad on CL for my collection, thinking I was going to sell pairs one at a time. I put 24 of my best shoes and in the description I wrote that I had about 130 pairs for sale. But CL won't allow any links to Google. So I had to explain I had an "album" that I can share with anyone who inquires about what I have. When I got an email from CL, I replied with the Google Album link.

Got a message from someone, we went back and forth a few times then we talked on the phone. Being I was in auto sales for 23 years (before I left do to health) I am VERY good at reading people. I got the sense this guy was on the straight and narrow. He only wanted a few pairs but asked about buying the whole thing. I gave him a number, which was too high, then I countered and we made a deal.

Had him meet me at my home and he and I loaded his car up. Funds were via check as we both went to my bank where he wrote a check and I directly put into my account. The bank zips the check through the machine. 100% best transaction ever. And I had several people flake on me before hand. He in turn looked me up and found I was legit. I don't have FB and only have Instagram. But googling my name will show old pics of my profile at the dealership. But all in all, I was so happy. Especially seeing 2 huge shelves empty, and a 3rd half empty.

Thanks man. Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps.

Holy hell, that's one hell of a sale! Congratulations on that and freeing up space! How're you feeling right now in terms of looking back? I can tell you when I got rid of ~30 pairs at once, I felt so relieved without feeling bad/remorseful looking back.

I'm feeling great. No hard feeling or any remorse at all. I gave up some killer pairs. Heck, I'll post the album for old times.

Yeah, did I want to hold onto a few others? Meh. I got the shoes I really want and they weren't included in the album. And I kept one back from it. But absolutely ZERO remorse. 👍

I'm feeling great. No hard feeling or any remorse at all. I gave up some killer pairs. Heck, I'll post the album for old times.

Yeah, did I want to hold onto a few others? Meh. I got the shoes I really want and they weren't included in the album. And I kept one back from it. But absolutely ZERO remorse. 👍

Damn you emptied the clip! You had a VAULT

05fordgt 05fordgt damn, good ****. How much is left now?

Thanks bud. 🙏 Off the top of my head, not including any of the vintage stuff that can't be worn, and the driving shoes I wear mostly now, it's about 50 give or take? Getting rid of the vintage OG stuff will be hard as some can't be worn (OG Duncan Foamposite Max, Jumpman Pros, Jumpman Quick, 4 colors of OG 12s that are decent but need regluing of the outsoles in some spots, among a few others) will be hard to get rid of.

But I'm much more content with what's left. Stuff I actually want, like the Reebok Pump OG retros in black and a Collab, first Shaq Attaq retros, Battleground Pump OG retro (Sinbad shoe), and the outlet Big Hurts). Not many Nikes really other than my Agassis which won't go ANYWHERE, and a few pairs of Jordans now with the few Huaraches (new runners, one pair of lights) Carnivore, and the two Unlimited retros (horribly done but bought purely on nostalgia).

I got a few more pairs of Jordans to sell ('16 Hares and 12 Retro Varsity Royals both barely worn). I'll try that again on CL unless someone wants them here maybe 👍

Damn I would have kept those Air Max Pillar. I had them back in the day and beat them to the ground.

Damn I would have kept those Air Max Pillar. I had them back in the day and beat them to the ground.

Nah, they were really snug on me. I broke my big toe on my larger foot a few times the last several years, causing a hammertoe from the knuckle resetting. So if a toebox has minimal volume, I can't wear them. 🤷 So is life. I'm honestly not sweating selling any of them. I really am not. 👍

Nah, they were really snug on me. I broke my big toe on my larger foot a few times the last several years, causing a hammertoe from the knuckle resetting. So if a toebox has minimal volume, I can't wear them. 🤷 So is life. I'm honestly not sweating selling any of them. I really am not. 👍
Oh sorry for the misunderstanding. I’m happy for you bro. I was just saying for me I would have kept those if I had them in my collection. Hope your toe is all good now.

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding. I’m happy for you bro. I was just saying for me I would have kept those if I had them in my collection. Hope your toe is all good now.

No worries at all buddy 🤝. I just got a messed up toe and have to be selective of what I can wear. Even my Huaraches, you can see the knuckle of my big toe through the satin toe box. But at least that is stretchy and comfy. All these flyweave and crap materials I just can't wear.

And I get what you said. If I actually could have worn them, sure but I'm much happier keeping my Battleground Pump retros. Those mean A LOT to me.

Since I posted it in the Reebok thread, and I still have the photos and it has bearing on my discussion of downsizing, I'll post the one pair I couldn't dare part with in that album link above.
PXL_20230319_233922667.jpg
PXL_20230319_233928954.jpg
PXL_20230319_233955335.jpg
PXL_20230319_234033542.jpg
PXL_20230319_234004843.jpg

They just don't make them like this anymore 😞 You can see just how nice the leather is and how thick of a cut it is. And the green suede is awesome. Best part, 100% wearable. No separation, no ungluing, nothing. Solid as a rock. Man these are some good retros. So glad I didn't include them. The guy was confirming the night before that all shoes in the album were included. I said yes, and I'm giving a few more as long as I could keep ONE pair! These! These are just too good to give away.

While I really don't wear my retros much anymore, I may have to break these out next time I make a trip to the mall for some lunch. See if anyone in the sneaker stores recognize what I have on my feet. Hope you all enjoy the photos.

Oh, and I just posted a few more pairs on CL. I would hope they get some traction since they are 2 really good Jordan retros in almost new condition. Would love for those to go away quick. 👍

This thread is a legit support group - props for creating it us3less us3less . I shared yesterday for the first time in the AM1 thread that I sold 1K of my pairs in Nov of 2020 to a single buyer on the west coast. I realized just how bad my addiction had become when I had my first child and just how much time I spent tracking down shoes. Life's always a balancing act, but my balance was clearly off.

There was no joy in it - it became a near obsessive hunt for anything that spoke to me...and with so much appreciation for design, storytelling, history, etc, that meant I was buying more than a pair a day for multiple years. These weren't small pickups either - 50 pairs from the original OW "the ten", 5 pairs of mars yards, samples, PEs, it was extreme. I kept a decent chunk of shoes (my collection was north of 1500), the ones that I'll wear and love but now, I purchase 2 or 3 pairs a year.

Those few pairs mean something now. I can enjoy them, look forward to owning them without feeling like some sort of hoarder trying to fill every corner of my closets with pairs or needing multiple storage lockers around the city. I miss a few pairs but I feel free from the burden of my collection...and I have the perspective and balance to prioritize what really matters.

I was doing great limiting my pick ups this year but AMD and some recent sales pulled me back in.

Gonna have to really pace myself a couple weeks.

This thread is a legit support group - props for creating it us3less us3less . I shared yesterday for the first time in the AM1 thread that I sold 1K of my pairs in Nov of 2020 to a single buyer on the west coast. I realized just how bad my addiction had become when I had my first child and just how much time I spent tracking down shoes. Life's always a balancing act, but my balance was clearly off.

There was no joy in it - it became a near obsessive hunt for anything that spoke to me...and with so much appreciation for design, storytelling, history, etc, that meant I was buying more than a pair a day for multiple years. These weren't small pickups either - 50 pairs from the original OW "the ten", 5 pairs of mars yards, samples, PEs, it was extreme. I kept a decent chunk of shoes (my collection was north of 1500), the ones that I'll wear and love but now, I purchase 2 or 3 pairs a year.

Those few pairs mean something now. I can enjoy them, look forward to owning them without feeling like some sort of hoarder trying to fill every corner of my closets with pairs or needing multiple storage lockers around the city. I miss a few pairs but I feel free from the burden of my collection...and I have the perspective and balance to prioritize what really matters.
Wow who bought 1k pairs? That's a lot for anyone to shift

Wow who bought 1k pairs? That's a lot for anyone to shift
I realized there was no way I could effectively downsize without doing it in bulk - so I contacted some people I'd become friendly with. 2Jays out of UN, some folks at Flight Club but eventually I wound up going with the Owner of an LA shop that made the most sense for me. Most places wanted to do traditional consignment and pay as each pair sold in their stores...I didnt want that mental attachement, had to cut the cord. Fortunately I worked out a deal for a fair lump sum buyout. There was so much heat in there that they weren't concerned about the sell through. Win/win.

It was something like 14 pallets of sneakers and it weighed around 2,000 pounds. I had them all in a workshop with a loading dock...it was an insane logistical process to get it done via UPS freight but it all worked out without a single pair damaged or lost in transit.

Im currently thinking about getting out of the game myself.

Last few years its just gotten out of hand now and I think im sitting somewhere about 400 pairs.

Im a mid 30s farmer in the UK so I barely ever get a chance to wear them, and when I do the weather is normally dog**** anyway. The amount of brand new pairs ive put on and got mud or crap all over them immediately is way too high.

Ive been thinking about it for the last 6 months or so but the collection still grows instead of shrinking.

I just want to get one good full collection pic before I do anything but even the logistics of that is a pain.

Currently Im just daydreaming about what I could spend that money on instead. Im sure as soon as I find something that excites me enough ill start making moves.

Obviously 1 big deal is the way to go, but I think Im too tight to sell them all at 1/2 to 2/3rds their actual value

Im currently thinking about getting out of the game myself.

Last few years its just gotten out of hand now and I think im sitting somewhere about 400 pairs.

Im a mid 30s farmer in the UK so I barely ever get a chance to wear them, and when I do the weather is normally dog**** anyway. The amount of brand new pairs ive put on and got mud or crap all over them immediately is way too high.

Ive been thinking about it for the last 6 months or so but the collection still grows instead of shrinking.

I just want to get one good full collection pic before I do anything but even the logistics of that is a pain.

Currently Im just daydreaming about what I could spend that money on instead. Im sure as soon as I find something that excites me enough ill start making moves.

Obviously 1 big deal is the way to go, but I think Im too tight to sell them all at 1/2 to 2/3rds their actual value

Honestly, take the money aspect out of it. You'll never get back anywhere what you paid. It's what I did. Sold 135 or so pairs to one person. Got a check for the whole thing when he came to pick up. Yeah, it wasn't anywhere what I paid for them all, but some shoes were going back over 10 years, so that money spent on them is long gone.

Whatever I could get back in total was good for me. It was a fair number, and he was an guy in his late 30s getting back into it. He said he'll sell some off, definitely keep some and go from there. In the end, we were both very happy how the deal went. I got loads of space, money for my account, and he got shoes he never had before. Oh, and I got that huge weight off my back.

I'll always be a sneakerhead. I'm not coming on here and saying "I'm out". If I did, I'd be lying. I'll still buy pairs here and there. Definitely going to get the Flight Huarache when they release. But the days of buying for the sake of it (purely FOMO impulse) are long gone, and I'm glad. Once I get rid of the sporadic vintage OG stuff that I can't wear, then I'll feel really good.

bigevan23 bigevan23 - damn I've been wondering where you've been! Nice to see you still around, good sir! I remember you had major pick-ups, especially the Vapormaxes. I saw your post in the AM1 thread too. That's one crazy *** sale and to go from 1500 pairs to 500 just like that, too. Congratulations on having your first child! Once you got a family, it really changes your life for sure. Definitely a move for the better.

sneakaprince sneakaprince - I won't lie, I got tempted a few times too. The Shima Shimas, women's Safaris, Great Indoors. Whenever I had moments like that, I just take those opportunities to reflect and learn from 'em. Can always undo the purchases somehow too (sell, or return if allowed).

snkrb0y snkrb0y - eventually, the spacial and/or mental weight will far outweigh the monetary aspect of it, especially in bulk, so even though the money you'll get back isn't ideal, as long as you get back a fair amount, you'll be happier than you think with a lot more space and less stress. Material things have a way to get you pulled in, you know?

05fordgt 05fordgt - you bring up a good point. One of the things I learned recently and really start to embed is that FOMO is sometimes a blessed reminder that we can't have everything and we just have to accept that. It's definitely a hard mentality shift without a doubt, but it's kinda one of the hidden bright sides where you just appreciate what you do have in the present time. J Cole's "Love Yourz" is a great song that kinda talks about that, too, if anyone wanna hear that song haha.

Also thought about that over the weekend along with hype factor that I can add to the tips section up on the front page. Was randomly thinking about how hype can really manifest itself over to us for shoes that we may like, and then we end up trying to go for them and all, but when someone's genuinely excited for a shoe and there's no hype, one wouldn't care about how no one else cares. EDIT - damn, I just realize that's just a fancy description of the hypebeast symptoms, LOL.

Fozz Fozz - shoot, it'd be great if this thread could get posted up in the front page, but it'd also be ironic as to why a sneaker forum would have a recommended post about quitting/downsizing sneakers haha. :lol: Would definitely love for this thread to be shared across other threads though, and even better if it's possible to be shared outside of NT too.

Last edited:
Been selling a lot of my collection lately only to end up buying more with the profits. It's a never ending cycle. I simply just lack discipline and give in to impulse way too easily!

Back
Top Bottom