I got it ... Corporate #@$^%

Please dont ban me meth.. or lock the thread because the title... i'm writing this because i feel it needs to be said.

sup yall...

many of you all know i've been grinding left and right trying to get this position as a financial analyst.

Well, word came down last week that they were working on my official start date. and I got the news yesterday that I will be a Senior Financial Analyst for a major cell phone carrier in Dallas Texas.

Salary is still being discussed, but its definitely a a pay bump from what i've been working.

I got this job after my first year of graduate school... still have a year left

i have dreads. i pulled up to the office jammin J. Cole and Lil B. I have two 12s in the back of my trunk that bump. I'm not tatted up, but when i tell people, they're surprised. I like big booties. i play basketball. I refer to all of my homeboys as my "fambs". i'm not what most would consider a "cornball brother". I'll be 24 in august.

I'm saying that to talk to my brothers in here, and also anyone else that needs to hear it. Dont let any one tell you "you dont fit this mold or that mold" if you want to do something. I moved here from a small town and snatched an analyst position, with no experience. My undergrad isnt even in finance.

You dont have to change who you are. Be true to yourself. Work hard, be a generally good person. Dont let other roll over you.

Anyone that comes in your viscinity, you try your best to make sure they're a better person when they leave you.

Dont lie to these birds... keep it trill... let them know you playing the field. get as many yambs as possible and strap up... pull out too.

i'm not saying this for congratualations. i'm saying this cuz i know its possible. i'm proof.

pimp.gif
nthat.gif
 you can be who you are and be successful. Tired of people thinking they have to look a certain way to be taken seriously, your work and hustle should speak for itself.

Congrats Ricky. The easy part is over. Now comes the hard part. The corporate life is FULL of snakes. Keep ya grass cut homie

i have dreads. i pulled up to the office jammin J. Cole and Lil B. I have two 12s in the back of my trunk that bump. I'm not tatted up, but when i tell people, they're surprised. I like big booties. i play basketball. I refer to all of my homeboys as my "fambs". i'm not what most would consider a "cornball brother". I'll be 24 in august.

I'm saying that to talk to my brothers in here, and also anyone else that needs to hear it
Exactly what I needed to hear... That motivation.

Congrats on the position, I see you in the graduate thread and it seems like you're really trying to do it and I'm happy for you.

If you don't mind though, I'm gonna fill the dudes in (!) on the details you left out.

Although Ricker pulled up playing J. Cole wayyyy out in the parking lot, he didn't wear his Beats inside the building still listening to it. He left his music preference outside, where it should be.

While the Rickster may have dreads, he didn't walk in there like Wayne or Keef with his dreads all in his face... he had them neat or pulled them back.

My famb also didn't dap up anyone in the office, he shook the interviewers hand like professionals do.

Ricky also wore a suit, or at least a shirt and tie to the interview. No Yeezys and skinny jeans.

Ricko may call his boys his famb, but in the office he called Jake, Jake. He also called Mary, Mary.

My point is this: you can be whoever you want to be outside of work, but when it comes to corporate positions you will need to be professional... but that doesn't mean changing who you are.

Rick this is just for you:

Staying true to yourself while obtaining your first corporate job isn't the hard part... the hard part is staying true to yourself after 5, 6, 7 years... after getting promoted and dealing with the higher ups. It does have an affect on you after a while.

Congrats Ricky.

Some of y'all are clearly missing his point though.  He's not saying don't be professional, he's saying you don't have to change everything about yourself inside and outside of work, to be successful.  Coming from a HBCU and being in business school, I've seen a LOT of black males who care more about being Carlton Banks than their actual work product or skills.  They feel as if they have to move into the part of the city where other corporate people live, change their outside of work appearance, listen to different music, hang out at different bars/restaurants, etc.  What Ricky is trying to say is you don't have to do that, be professional, but don't feel like you have to change your entire life outside of work into this cookie cutter mold to obtain a corporate job.

Congrats Ricky. The easy part is over. Now comes the hard part. The corporate life is FULL of snakes. Keep ya grass cut homie

Bruh! believe it.

Congrats on the position, I see you in the graduate thread and it seems like you're really trying to do it and I'm happy for you.

If you don't mind though, I'm gonna fill the dudes in (!) on the details you left out.

Although Ricker pulled up playing J. Cole wayyyy out in the parking lot, he didn't wear his Beats inside the building still listening to it. He left his music preference outside, where it should be.

While the Rickster may have dreads, he didn't walk in there like Wayne or Keef with his dreads all in his face... he had them neat or pulled them back.

My famb also didn't dap up anyone in the office, he shook the interviewers hand like professionals do.

Ricky also wore a suit, or at least a shirt and tie to the interview. No Yeezys and skinny jeans.

Ricko may call his boys his famb, but in the office he called Jake, Jake. He also called Mary, Mary.

My point is this: you can be whoever you want to be outside of work, but when it comes to corporate positions you will need to be professional... but that doesn't mean changing who you are.

Staying true to yourself while obtaining your first corporate job isn't the hard part... the hard part is staying true to yourself after 5, 6, 7 years... after getting promoted and dealing with the higher ups. It does have an affect on you after a while.

Indeed.

And there's levels to this ****, I swear you get that drug dealer/rapper bump from these ratchets when you move up in corporate. Either that or your confidence just ascended another level due to your increase responsibilities.

I'm assuming you guys are bus cas? No, you can't wear sneakers on casual Friday...that's ridiculous. Get some loafers or something.
Sneakers are allowed at my job on Fridays but people still keep it casual. I wore some hi tops wone day, which just makes your pans wrinkle more and some older guys comes up and just kind of jokingly says I can't wear those types of clothes here. Granted I was still wearing a button up and my jeans are straight fit but dude bugged out on me wearing some Nike HUF hi SBs with the tie dye on the side.
:lol: this sounds about right. I got pulled to the side one time for wearing Piston 6s. I was puzzled theyre basically all black shoes.

great post. repped

Im a financial analyst as well..Ive been working for my company for 8 years with no prior financial experience. I started off as a temp contracted for one day. I used to rock dreds when I was 24, and im that dude thats taking full advantage of dress down Fridays with a fresh pair...Nothing is out of reach for anyone, of all walks of life..Congrats man. I know how it feels.

Did you major in Finance? ^
I was actually a community college drop out when I started. I had majored in Business Administration. I went back to school for Business Management, taking advantage of the companies reimbursement program. Just getting the foot in the door was key. I started in a department working with physical checks and statements... I wouldnt stop applying to different departments within asset servicing, i wanted it bad. Someone eventually took a chance, based on my persona alone. I guess I got lucky, Im not sure...But anything is possible if you give yourself a chance.

no... its not...

not sure if you know.. but as a black man... cats think they have to completely change who they are to get in where they want. white counteparts really dont have this feeling.

sorry famb, but it is what it is. i'm here to say you dont have to do that. i'm the same. of course, I dont go up to the Director of Finance and say "you got them reports, my *****? good ****, bro. keep it up"

but i see cats COMPLETELY switch gears. and you dont have to. you dont have to cut your hair, distance yourself from your friends, change your music, none of that.

Ah...of course not...but there is nothing wrong with behaving in a professional manner in the office and being laid back when you back in the hood...you gotta learn to adopt....I'm happy for you bro, but appearances matter, the way you are perceived specially in corporate america matter ALOT and doesn't nessesarily have to do with race, piercings, tattoos, even facial hair can put you at a disadvantage when hooting for some of these jobs bro...at the end of the day people just wanna survive and make a $ don't be so harsh as to call out "cornball brother" when you see a black man switch up a role in his work environment.

really strong cosign. esp that last sentiment. you cannot change ignorant or lowkey racist perceptions. so likewise, there is nothing wrong with adapting to a different environment. you got a solid job by being yourself as you put it. but at the same time you gotta realize that, while that may be cool, some people who have some power over you may already unfairly judge you based off your appearance. that's just a fact of real life. period. of course as you said you aren't gonna go up to your boss, dap him up, and hit him with the "sup ma N"...still i think you have to consider things that are out of your control aka people's unfair perceptions.

i am black. i am an engineer. there are VERY little black engineers in the workforce. currently i work at an architecture/engineering design firm in manhattan and i am the only black engineer. only other brother is the IT manager. LUCKILY for me, the environment is that corporate. casual fridays, and every1 swears left and right, ive had beers with superiors, and my IT dude sends me pics of girls you'd find in the black girls appreciation thread, i get wasted with coworkers (most of my office is age 22-30, of various backgrounds) and talk about w.e and it is all good :pimp:

...but my greatest fear, is that when i go to another engineering job around boston (aiming for that soon) ill be working with old white dudes and be the drop of oil in a glass of water. i won't be able to go up to a coworker, dap him up, and ask him why he's all over lebron's nuts or something like that. i won't lose sleep over it, at the end of the day its about job, and if i like the job then f everything else. not at work to make friends anyways. but still id have to tone it down, and realize i can't act with some like i act with others if that makes sense.

this doesn't make you a cornball brother. anyways congrats on getting the job, on your terms at that :pimp:

Last edited:
really strong cosign. esp that last sentiment. you cannot change ignorant or lowkey racist perceptions. so likewise, there is nothing wrong with adapting to a different environment. you got a solid job by being yourself as you put it. but at the same time you gotta realize that, while that may be cool, some people who have some power over you may already unfairly judge you based off your appearance. that's just a fact of real life. period. of course as you said you aren't gonna go up to your boss, dap him up, and hit him with the "sup ma N"...still i think you have to consider things that are out of your control aka people's unfair perceptions.

i am black. i am an engineer. there are VERY little black engineers in the workforce. currently i work at an architecture/engineering design firm in manhattan and i am the only black engineer. only other brother is the IT manager. LUCKILY for me, the environment is that corporate. casual fridays, and every1 swears left and right, ive had beers with superiors, and my IT dude sends me pics of girls you'd find in the black girls appreciation thread, i get wasted with coworkers (most of my office is age 22-30, of various backgrounds) and talk about w.e and it is all good
pimp.gif

...but my greatest fear, is that when i go to another engineering job around boston (aiming for that soon) ill be working with old white dudes and be the drop of oil in a glass of water. i won't be able to go up to a coworker, dap him up, and ask him why he's all over lebron's nuts or something like that. i won't lose sleep over it, at the end of the day its about job, and if i like the job then f everything else. not at work to make friends anyways. but still id have to tone it down, and realize i can't act with some like i act with others if that makes sense.

this doesn't make you a cornball brother. anyways congrats on getting the job, on your terms at that
pimp.gif
Flipper is that you?

Cosign as well on the persona change to survive in corporate.

My father works at a local community college running a program for the academically gifted born usually into varying degrees of poverty (word to the Check Your Priviledge thread) and on the job he's better at playing the stereotypical role of white businessman better than his white coworkers. Perfect speech & sentence structure, clothes always ironed, hair always groomed, never spews a word of profanity, $500 suits, etc.

Now when he gets home.. Completely different.

Do what it takes to keep moving up and survive fam. You're not selling out.

i am black. i am an engineer. there are VERY little black engineers in the workforce. currently i work at an architecture/engineering design firm in manhattan and i am the only black engineer. only other brother is the IT manager. LUCKILY for me, the environment is that corporate. casual fridays, and every1 swears left and right, ive had beers with superiors, and my IT dude sends me pics of girls you'd find in the black girls appreciation thread, i get wasted with coworkers (most of my office is age 22-30, of various backgrounds) and talk about w.e and it is all good :pimp:

this doesn't make you a cornball brother. anyways congrats on getting the job, on your terms at that :pimp:
Flipper is that you?

nah

Back
Top Bottom