NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

dsc0101bl0.jpg

w_heineken1.jpg

/Thread

^ u posted a very average mexican beer and a beer that tastes like bum piss at room temp... how is that /thread?

^ u posted a very average mexican beer and a beer that tastes like bum piss at room temp... how is that /thread?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

this right here!

this right here!

I don't buy Corona myself but I'm not gonna act like I wont chug that down if someone offered me one
laugh.gif

I don't buy Corona myself but I'm not gonna act like I wont chug that down if someone offered me one
laugh.gif

ahhh.. to be young again. 
tired.gif

assuming dude just turned or is under 21. 

ahhh.. to be young again. 
tired.gif

assuming dude just turned or is under 21. 

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

laugh.gif
hahahaha im not a beer snob when it comes to free beer (except Tecate... dont know why but I just cant deal with it.  I'd rather drink Natty Light over Tecate)

laugh.gif
hahahaha im not a beer snob when it comes to free beer (except Tecate... dont know why but I just cant deal with it.  I'd rather drink Natty Light over Tecate)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 Free beer is free beer. I'll take that anyday. Unless its Milwaukee's Best. For some reason every time I take a sip of that I immediately think of that scene from Beer Fest where they are having that competition to see how much ram urine they can drink. 
Im about to drink my first organic beer. Highland Catttail Peak Seasonal Organic Wheat Beer.

high-land-cattail-peak-organic-wheat1.jpg

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 Free beer is free beer. I'll take that anyday. Unless its Milwaukee's Best. For some reason every time I take a sip of that I immediately think of that scene from Beer Fest where they are having that competition to see how much ram urine they can drink. 
Im about to drink my first organic beer. Highland Catttail Peak Seasonal Organic Wheat Beer.

high-land-cattail-peak-organic-wheat1.jpg

I've homebrewed a few times but want to get into it more

You got any sites/blogs/etc that I could look into?
The home brew shop in my city has some great people on their hands. I think we've spent a couple hours just listening to those guys talk. For a couple bucks, they even put on a hands on learning lecture workshop. That book I mentioned is one of the best starters. I haven't looked too much into any blogs or websites. I did a google search for a certain type of recipe of a beer we wanted to try and found homebrewtalk.com.

We started with an extract kit to get a grasp of what the process could be like. This method comes in a box, is more expensive, but does produce solid results. The joys of home brewing book helped immensely. Soon we wanted to go all grain. Our costs on ingredients would be less, more work was in store but the end result by many claim that all grain is the only way to go. Many youtube videos later, we figured out what we needed to do to it decently and tried it.Youtube is highly underrated from a learning perspective.

yeahitsRUST wrote:
How much cheaper would you say is it than buying a six pack of good beer for like 10 bucks? Annually?

Sorry for the questions but Ive always wanted to do it, just didnt know if it was worth the trouble, time, and money.

This is a tricky question. Initially your equipment costs can add up to almost a grand. Glass carboys, cleaning solutions, bottler, maybe a corney keg, co2 setup, tubes, lauter tun equipment, stainless steal boiler, wort chillers. Just how in depth or far do you want to go. Most can get by with a simple glass carboy for fermenting ($40), a large 4-7 gallon stainless steal pot for the steeping and boiling, and some home depot buckets with holes drilled out of one bucket for the lauter tuning (some use a cooler
pimp.gif
).. Maybe $200 bucks right off the bat.. I will say, the more more in depth you take this hobby, your time and efficiency doing certain steps can help you out. So it's tricky just how far you want to take this.

Without going on forever, first batch, after spending $200 on equip. was a $40 extract kit in a box. This took about 4 hours of our time, and we got maybe 45 12oz. bottles. That's  $5/bottle right off the bat ( including initial equip. cost).
Next batch we went all grain. A couple more dollars in equipment, we found out we could spend $25 instead of $40 for the same amount of beer.. Batches and batches later, there is little to no equipment cost needed. So you end up spending  $25 for 4 gallons worth of beer. Minus what would probably be a day doing nothing (~5 hours), you are left with $.58 cent 12oz. bottles, or $3.50/ a six pack. For what would likely be stuff sold for $7-10, you save half on every six pack you brewed (which would be ~7 six packs)... There are many cost saving measures as well. Buy grain at wholesale cost (bulk grain) and your cost goes down almost half. Yeast can be repitched or saved, if done correctly, and you save almost 25% of your cost per batch...

Throwing out initial investment costs, right now, money out of hand for our next double batch will equate to  ~27 cent pints ( or $1.22/ six pack). Throw in time, equipment costs averaged over each batch, and we may be looking at $2 pints (or $9/six pack). Over years, I assume one would could match their favorite $10 dollar a six pack beer, for a mere  $1/ six pack. Saving 9 bucks once or twice a month may mean nothing so you really have to think about what you want. Saving that twice a month for a year is only $240 in savings.. Congrats, home brewer, you spent that on the first day. Take it as a hobby and enjoy the experience.

Some would say it's like buying raw materials to make a pair of jeans. Sure you can buy a $5000 dollar sewing machine and all this other stuff. But why not just buy a $50 dollar pair of jeans to save you the hassle. Right now we're learning and it's continuing to be fun to see the end result
-------------
With all that hard work, I still do enjoy some big box brews.

Sam Adams Summer Ale is quite crisp and refreshing. Exactly what a summer ale should be
Dos XX Lager has remained in my top 5 of most drinkable any time beers. Maybe a bit bland, and a terrible review ratings. It's okay. I like it.

Just recently I tried a Spaten Dunkelweizen.. #1 selling beer in Germany apparently. I expected a Bud, Coors, or Miller type taste. I was surprised. Euros are a step above us in regards to big brew taste and preferences. They are eatting prime rib. We are content with Mcdonalds. I think other producers around the world have caught on to our tastes and given us way less for more. But that's for another thread.

I would be just fine without home brews, but it's a nice hobby to have and share with others. I'm definitely not snobby about it like some can be.

I've homebrewed a few times but want to get into it more

You got any sites/blogs/etc that I could look into?
The home brew shop in my city has some great people on their hands. I think we've spent a couple hours just listening to those guys talk. For a couple bucks, they even put on a hands on learning lecture workshop. That book I mentioned is one of the best starters. I haven't looked too much into any blogs or websites. I did a google search for a certain type of recipe of a beer we wanted to try and found homebrewtalk.com.

We started with an extract kit to get a grasp of what the process could be like. This method comes in a box, is more expensive, but does produce solid results. The joys of home brewing book helped immensely. Soon we wanted to go all grain. Our costs on ingredients would be less, more work was in store but the end result by many claim that all grain is the only way to go. Many youtube videos later, we figured out what we needed to do to it decently and tried it.Youtube is highly underrated from a learning perspective.

yeahitsRUST wrote:
How much cheaper would you say is it than buying a six pack of good beer for like 10 bucks? Annually?

Sorry for the questions but Ive always wanted to do it, just didnt know if it was worth the trouble, time, and money.

This is a tricky question. Initially your equipment costs can add up to almost a grand. Glass carboys, cleaning solutions, bottler, maybe a corney keg, co2 setup, tubes, lauter tun equipment, stainless steal boiler, wort chillers. Just how in depth or far do you want to go. Most can get by with a simple glass carboy for fermenting ($40), a large 4-7 gallon stainless steal pot for the steeping and boiling, and some home depot buckets with holes drilled out of one bucket for the lauter tuning (some use a cooler
pimp.gif
).. Maybe $200 bucks right off the bat.. I will say, the more more in depth you take this hobby, your time and efficiency doing certain steps can help you out. So it's tricky just how far you want to take this.

Without going on forever, first batch, after spending $200 on equip. was a $40 extract kit in a box. This took about 4 hours of our time, and we got maybe 45 12oz. bottles. That's  $5/bottle right off the bat ( including initial equip. cost).
Next batch we went all grain. A couple more dollars in equipment, we found out we could spend $25 instead of $40 for the same amount of beer.. Batches and batches later, there is little to no equipment cost needed. So you end up spending  $25 for 4 gallons worth of beer. Minus what would probably be a day doing nothing (~5 hours), you are left with $.58 cent 12oz. bottles, or $3.50/ a six pack. For what would likely be stuff sold for $7-10, you save half on every six pack you brewed (which would be ~7 six packs)... There are many cost saving measures as well. Buy grain at wholesale cost (bulk grain) and your cost goes down almost half. Yeast can be repitched or saved, if done correctly, and you save almost 25% of your cost per batch...

Throwing out initial investment costs, right now, money out of hand for our next double batch will equate to  ~27 cent pints ( or $1.22/ six pack). Throw in time, equipment costs averaged over each batch, and we may be looking at $2 pints (or $9/six pack). Over years, I assume one would could match their favorite $10 dollar a six pack beer, for a mere  $1/ six pack. Saving 9 bucks once or twice a month may mean nothing so you really have to think about what you want. Saving that twice a month for a year is only $240 in savings.. Congrats, home brewer, you spent that on the first day. Take it as a hobby and enjoy the experience.

Some would say it's like buying raw materials to make a pair of jeans. Sure you can buy a $5000 dollar sewing machine and all this other stuff. But why not just buy a $50 dollar pair of jeans to save you the hassle. Right now we're learning and it's continuing to be fun to see the end result
-------------
With all that hard work, I still do enjoy some big box brews.

Sam Adams Summer Ale is quite crisp and refreshing. Exactly what a summer ale should be
Dos XX Lager has remained in my top 5 of most drinkable any time beers. Maybe a bit bland, and a terrible review ratings. It's okay. I like it.

Just recently I tried a Spaten Dunkelweizen.. #1 selling beer in Germany apparently. I expected a Bud, Coors, or Miller type taste. I was surprised. Euros are a step above us in regards to big brew taste and preferences. They are eatting prime rib. We are content with Mcdonalds. I think other producers around the world have caught on to our tastes and given us way less for more. But that's for another thread.

I would be just fine without home brews, but it's a nice hobby to have and share with others. I'm definitely not snobby about it like some can be.

^Cue the rock clapping .gif

Thanks for all the information and insight bro. It definitely sounds like something me and a couple friends would enjoy doing on the weekends for a hobby. But right now due to sheer lack of time I'm going to have to wait a while.

Do you mind sharing what type of beer you would compare your home brew to? I mean at your best brew which would it be like.

Back
Top Bottom