NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^Cue the rock clapping .gif

Thanks for all the information and insight bro. It definitely sounds like something me and a couple friends would enjoy doing on the weekends for a hobby. But right now due to sheer lack of time I'm going to have to wait a while.

Do you mind sharing what type of beer you would compare your home brew to? I mean at your best brew which would it be like.

Tried this over the weekend, really enjoyed it. Nice flavor, and a nice finish.

turbodog_bottle_six_pack_rays_template.jpg

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

I've homebrewed a few times but want to get into it more

You got any sites/blogs/etc that I could look into?
The home brew shop in my city has some great people on their hands. I think we've spent a couple hours just listening to those guys talk. For a couple bucks, they even put on a hands on learning lecture workshop. That book I mentioned is one of the best starters. I haven't looked too much into any blogs or websites. I did a google search for a certain type of recipe of a beer we wanted to try and found homebrewtalk.com.

We started with an extract kit to get a grasp of what the process could be like. This method comes in a box, is more expensive, but does produce solid results. The joys of home brewing book helped immensely. Soon we wanted to go all grain. Our costs on ingredients would be less, more work was in store but the end result by many claim that all grain is the only way to go. Many youtube videos later, we figured out what we needed to do to it decently and tried it.Youtube is highly underrated from a learning perspective.
Thanks, I keep telling myself to check out the local shops here but I always procrastinate on it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

I've homebrewed a few times but want to get into it more

You got any sites/blogs/etc that I could look into?
The home brew shop in my city has some great people on their hands. I think we've spent a couple hours just listening to those guys talk. For a couple bucks, they even put on a hands on learning lecture workshop. That book I mentioned is one of the best starters. I haven't looked too much into any blogs or websites. I did a google search for a certain type of recipe of a beer we wanted to try and found homebrewtalk.com.

We started with an extract kit to get a grasp of what the process could be like. This method comes in a box, is more expensive, but does produce solid results. The joys of home brewing book helped immensely. Soon we wanted to go all grain. Our costs on ingredients would be less, more work was in store but the end result by many claim that all grain is the only way to go. Many youtube videos later, we figured out what we needed to do to it decently and tried it.Youtube is highly underrated from a learning perspective.
Thanks, I keep telling myself to check out the local shops here but I always procrastinate on it
laugh.gif

^What's the price of familiar around your way? I enjoy that stuff occasionally, as it tastes nothing like Corona (which many here describe as dog piss). But at $3.50 to $4 a quart, it's a bit too much into the specialty beer price range, without the truly special taste. It's smooth as hell to drink though

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Thanks for all the information and insight bro. It definitely sounds like something me and a couple friends would enjoy doing on the weekends for a hobby. But right now due to sheer lack of time I'm going to have to wait a while.

Do you mind sharing what type of beer you would compare your home brew to? I mean at your best brew which would it be like.
Words and numbers can truly scare a person away. Here's a good startup vid on all grain home brew batch sparging . With a recipe, you'll have the ingredients needed, boiling times for hops, how much water to add. From there, you steep for the given time, usually an hour, then drain, and sparge with more water. Drain again. Then boil, add hops at given times. Then take hot wort and cool with wort chiller. Add all into carboy. Pitch yeast. Wait 14 days or so until you either bottle and wait another 12 days to carbonate, or force carbonate right away. All steps laid out at once seem daunting but the vid shows that a lot of decent beers are quite easy to make, given the proper equipment. Many beers have different or additional steps but not too far off from the core aspect of brewing. We have just played it safe so far with the 1-3 step beers.

Right now, we've been doing nothing but red ales, brown ales, honey wheat ales, and amber ales, so at our best, find your own local brewery and almost every brewery has a red, brown, or honey type beer. We are coming close to quality microbrew quality beer. I was surprised at first. It's really stuff you would find at a bar somewhere. Far worse has been served. The bathtub moonshine "drink no matter what" perception home brew has, is completely false. At least from our first couple of batches. Again, some of these guys out there have this taste review scale tasting notes of this, or how the head of the foam is, carbonation, malty hints of this or that. I don't know how it would rate, but it's decent stuff. I am not at that level of drinking or skill, and may never be.

So far our best may have been a honey wheat ale. Unfiltered like most wheat beers, it just tastes like it belongs or it came from a branch of any brewery USA. I don't want to undershoot our abilities, but it turned out alright. I have tasted far worse for far more money, so I am happy. If it sucks, I wouldn't drink it. But so far, it all has had a drink-ability like mostly every other beer out there. It's kind of mind blowing when you brew that first batch and realize you've been spending money all these years on these mediocre stuff, when a few simple steps can get you home brew at or above that quality level

^What's the price of familiar around your way? I enjoy that stuff occasionally, as it tastes nothing like Corona (which many here describe as dog piss). But at $3.50 to $4 a quart, it's a bit too much into the specialty beer price range, without the truly special taste. It's smooth as hell to drink though

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Words and numbers can truly scare a person away. Here's a good startup vid on all grain home brew batch sparging . With a recipe, you'll have the ingredients needed, boiling times for hops, how much water to add. From there, you steep for the given time, usually an hour, then drain, and sparge with more water. Drain again. Then boil, add hops at given times. Then take hot wort and cool with wort chiller. Add all into carboy. Pitch yeast. Wait 14 days or so until you either bottle and wait another 12 days to carbonate, or force carbonate right away. All steps laid out at once seem daunting but the vid shows that a lot of decent beers are quite easy to make, given the proper equipment. Many beers have different or additional steps but not too far off from the core aspect of brewing. We have just played it safe so far with the 1-3 step beers.

Right now, we've been doing nothing but red ales, brown ales, honey wheat ales, and amber ales, so at our best, find your own local brewery and almost every brewery has a red, brown, or honey type beer. We are coming close to quality microbrew quality beer. I was surprised at first. It's really stuff you would find at a bar somewhere. Far worse has been served. The bathtub moonshine "drink no matter what" perception home brew has, is completely false. At least from our first couple of batches. Again, some of these guys out there have this taste review scale tasting notes of this, or how the head of the foam is, carbonation, malty hints of this or that. I don't know how it would rate, but it's decent stuff. I am not at that level of drinking or skill, and may never be.

So far our best may have been a honey wheat ale. Unfiltered like most wheat beers, it just tastes like it belongs or it came from a branch of any brewery USA. I don't want to undershoot our abilities, but it turned out alright. I have tasted far worse for far more money, so I am happy. If it sucks, I wouldn't drink it. But so far, it all has had a drink-ability like mostly every other beer out there. It's kind of mind blowing when you brew that first batch and realize you've been spending money all these years on these mediocre stuff, when a few simple steps can get you home brew at or above that quality level

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

One of the many aisles in my beer store

I drink good

snow-and-hood-river-dmb-01-09-135.jpg

Pliny the elder 
pimp.gif

are you an official russian river supplier or a reseller?  i've read that RR will cut off all shipments to any stores that don't refrigerate their beers.  and that pliny should DEFINITELY be in a fridge.

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

One of the many aisles in my beer store

I drink good

snow-and-hood-river-dmb-01-09-135.jpg

Pliny the elder 
pimp.gif

are you an official russian river supplier or a reseller?  i've read that RR will cut off all shipments to any stores that don't refrigerate their beers.  and that pliny should DEFINITELY be in a fridge.

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

What site do you guys trust the most for beer ratings?
do your own taste testing...screw the sites and beer snobs
I do, but the lack of places here in SoCal is pathetic...Need to drive a good 20-25 mins to a Bevmo smh

son, you live in a beer gold mine.  san diego/san diego area is filled to the brim with excellent breweries and they're distributed everywhere.
unless you live inland, then you're SOL and need to move out to the coast.

check out the beeradvocate pacific forums for places to find beer in your area.  make a new thread if needed.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

What site do you guys trust the most for beer ratings?
do your own taste testing...screw the sites and beer snobs
I do, but the lack of places here in SoCal is pathetic...Need to drive a good 20-25 mins to a Bevmo smh

son, you live in a beer gold mine.  san diego/san diego area is filled to the brim with excellent breweries and they're distributed everywhere.
unless you live inland, then you're SOL and need to move out to the coast.

check out the beeradvocate pacific forums for places to find beer in your area.  make a new thread if needed.

Originally Posted by UltraFlatBlack

Will be enjoying this tonight!
delirium-tremens.jpg
pimp.gif

Did you get the 4 pack or the pint. I think people should post the stores they go too, will post mine later.

Swag4Days wrote:
TonyReali wrote:
1478.jpg

If you're not drinking this you're losing. Only exception to the rule is an occasional corona at bbqs 

Nah fam, you're losing.
Try Brooklyn Lager

Originally Posted by UltraFlatBlack

Will be enjoying this tonight!
delirium-tremens.jpg
pimp.gif

Did you get the 4 pack or the pint. I think people should post the stores they go too, will post mine later.

Swag4Days wrote:
TonyReali wrote:
1478.jpg

If you're not drinking this you're losing. Only exception to the rule is an occasional corona at bbqs 

Nah fam, you're losing.
Try Brooklyn Lager

Here are some of my favorites:
Chimay Blue

Pliny the Elder

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

Left Coast's Hop Juice

Sierra Nevada when I'm on a budget.

qoy780.jpg

Here are some of my favorites:
Chimay Blue

Pliny the Elder