The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Hey guys quick question. How do you feel about lens kits for cell phones, any real improvements? I don't want to take my Canon everywhere, but I'm starting a business and want to take pictures of my product out and about town for social media, etc. Can this boost my phone camera enough to bridge the gap?
I have a samsung s7 edge at the moment, possibly going to iPhone 7 for photos.

I think in this scenario there would be only one option for me... Sony A6000 or the A5100 (not too familiar with the A5100)

-Very small and lightweight in comparison to a DSLR.
-Interchangeable lenses. Sony E-mount lenses will be more compact, but you can adapt your Canon lenses if you desired.
-You will get DSLR quality images
-It charges via USB so if you carry a power stick for your phone, you are covered for your camera.
-Wifi capability. You want to post the images on you social media accounts. Transfer your images quickly to your phone for editing and uploading. Photography and social media are both smoke and mirrors, so nobody doesn't have to know that you aren't carrying a 5dIII to planned product shoots.
- A6000 are at steal prices on craigslist because the majority of people have no idea of what this camera can do.

I think in this scenario there would be only one option for me... Sony A6000 or the A5100 (not too familiar with the A5100)

-Very small and lightweight in comparison to a DSLR.
-Interchangeable lenses. Sony E-mount lenses will be more compact, but you can adapt your Canon lenses if you desired.
-You will get DSLR quality images
-It charges via USB so if you carry a power stick for your phone, you are covered for your camera.
-Wifi capability. You want to post the images on you social media accounts. Transfer your images quickly to your phone for editing and uploading. Photography and social media are both smoke and mirrors, so nobody doesn't have to know that you aren't carrying a 5dIII to planned product shoots.
- A6000 are at steal prices on craigslist because the majority of people have no idea of what this camera can do.

More so cuz the A6300 dropped.

Love my A6000, absolutely a beast of a camera for the price. Only downside for me is still the lack of budget glass compared to the M43 system. But for under $1000 used, you can get a quality system with a trinity of budget primes via Sigma, which is hard to beat for the price.

Last edited:
Honestly I dont think that had as much impact on the price. The upgrade was minimal, The prices were good before the A6300 was announced. I think alot of people are still not sold on mirrorless systems.

Eh, I disagree .. I know a lot of people switching over from Canon and Nikon DSLR's to mirrorless ..

And it's happening a lot faster than people think.

Granted those 2 are the juggernauts of the industry .. But people are tired of caring bulky frames and are looking for compacts solutions that can give the same IQ as those 2 ..

Sony, Fujifilm for example.

That was pretty much my reason switching from DSLR to Mirrorless. I have no complaints, all my friends who shoot DSLR love my camera.

Mirrorless is still expanding as time goes on .. And it surprises me that Canon and Nikon hasn't hopped on the wave with their capabilities and money.

I'm mean even Hasslebad has a mirrorless now.

Honestly I dont think that had as much impact on the price. The upgrade was minimal, The prices were good before the A6300 was announced. I think alot of people are still not sold on mirrorless systems.

Eh, I disagree .. I know a lot of people switching over from Canon and Nikon DSLR's to mirrorless ..

And it's happening a lot faster than people think.

Granted those 2 are the juggernauts of the industry .. But people are tired of caring bulky frames and are looking for compacts solutions that can give the same IQ as those 2 ..

Sony, Fujifilm for example.

That was pretty much my reason switching from DSLR to Mirrorless. I have no complaints, all my friends who shoot DSLR love my camera.

Mirrorless is still expanding as time goes on .. And it surprises me that Canon and Nikon hasn't hopped on the wave with their capabilities and money.

I'm mean even Hasslebad has a mirrorless now.

yea the a6000 price had fallen well before the a6300 had even been rumored, which was partially why it sold so well...and i think the a6000 is a somewhat deceptive package, it small size made some moving from a smartphones or point & shoot cams feel as though it was a easy/simple camera but it has so many features it could be overwhelming and at the same time for those coming from a dslr maybe felt like they had to give up too much whether it be ergonomics, lens selection, or just familiarity with their previous system...

mirrorless is definitely making moves, and it definitely seems like i see more people rocking with mirrorless bodies but i think it is more so because it stands out to me more when i see someone else with a mirrorless camera rather than a traditional dslr; dslrs seem to be moving at a slower pace as far as adding features too so there is just more 'excitement' associated with mirrorless...

both canon & nikon do both have mirrorless cameras (the eos m3 & the nikon 1, respectively) but i think it is difficult for both to make the case for their mirrorless systems, they obviously have more established systems (for both crop & full frame) to develop & maintain that take precedence and neither's mirrorless cameras are built to be competition for even the serious consumer cameras much less their 'pro' stuff, whereas everyone else (fuji, olympus, panasonic, sony, etc.) builds their mirrorless systems as their main/sole system...eventually both canon & nikon will probably just remove the mirror box & make their main bodies mirrorless, though this probably won't happen until mirrorless AF improves and they can sell people who use their current cameras on the gloriousness that is using an EVF...

does anyone here mess look at/read photographer photobooks? or have photographers they check for on regular basis?

Mirrorless is fine if you plan on replacing your main DSLR with it. I tried building a Fuji system but eventually sold it off. It just wasn't robust enough to replace my Nikon gear.

As far as a walk around, it just depends on your needs. For me my phone was the better option. I tried taking my Fuji on vacations to take photos. It's a smaller sized cameras, but it's still larger than your phone, with or without a lens attached. Can't slip it into my pocket and I'm not trying to carry it on my neck or wrist while walking around a resort, or worry about setting it down somewhere.

Most of my photos and video would end up on snapchat or group messaging. Easier to do that directly from my phone then transferring through wifi connect from camera. You're not suffering much from image quality since those services compress the files anyway. Only the aesthetic look of your image changes if that matters to you. I don't need good bokeh to take photos of my boys downing shots.

If i had unlimited resources I would switch to the sony a7rii w/ the 24-70, 70-200, 85mm all g master line up.

I'm too invested in all my canon gear to switch right now though.

mirrorless is dope

Most of my photos and video would end up on snapchat or group messaging. Easier to do that directly from my phone then transferring through wifi connect from camera. You're not suffering much from image quality since those services compress the files anyway. Only the aesthetic look of your image changes if that matters to you. I don't need good bokeh to take photos of my boys downing shots.

that's a good point, if the end use is to share on social/web informally a dedicated camera could be a bit cumbersome & awkward (i do feel like a smartphone lens kit is only a bit less clunky & for a price that isn't insignificant, at least for the quality kits, that one might as well get a good budget camera instead) in some circumstances, it really comes down to what one is willing to compromise on, it is unlikely that one camera will be optimum for every situation...

By the end of it, it all depends on what you like to shoot and what kind of shooter you are. There is no right or wrong at this point and everyone has a preference. I think your average photographers are switching out of convenience because of things like weight and size but professionals still like to use what they are using but have mirrorless as a 2nd or 3rd camera.

For example....the Olympics is a photographers wet dream as there are a ton of people down there. I would think majority down there are shooting with Canon or Nikon whether it be because of their auto focus, burst speeds, lens options, etc. It would be almost foolish to try and do this all on a mirrorless system only to not get that shot that you know you could never repeat again.

I am sure you guys heard also about that guy that got robbed in Rio for $40K's worth of equipment in only 10 seconds. http://www.businessinsider.com/olympic-photographer-stolen-equipment-2016-8

He's got some dope stuff on IG though. I so wish I could be down there to do the same: https://www.instagram.com/brettcostellophoto/

And Canon's stock pile at the Olympics too. Damn!

1I1A0697-800x533.jpg
1I1A0698-800x533.jpg

Last edited:
No doubt that especially in professional sports photography that mirrorless has a LONG way to go

99.9% of us would not be lacking any equipment in the miorrless world.

I don't shoot sports, so that's not an issue for me .. And both Nikon and Canon Mirrorless are extremely lacking in comparison to other brands ( which like tokes said , could be they are simply too invested with DSLR's) ..

As far as camera phones , I don't use mine really at all unless I'm at work. I never got into iPhone'tography . I carry my camera like a purse :lol:

Did this with my iPhone btw

I don't shoot sports, so that's not an issue for me .. And both Nikon and Canon Mirrorless are extremely lacking in comparison to other brands ( which like tokes said , could be they are simply too invested with DSLR's) ..

As far as camera phones , I don't use mine really at all unless I'm at work. I never got into iPhone'tography . I carry my camera like a purse :lol:

Did this with my iPhone btw

yeah its pretty clear that nikon and canon dont have an interest in mirrorless

It's sad really. With the technology that they have, you'd think they'd follow suit in creating a good mirrorless. Honestly Canon and Nikon should destroy Sony for the reason that they have the lens library and all it takes is a good mirrorless body to have people not buy the A7R2s. It's just odd to me that they can't get that figured out.

Speaking of Canon, the new Mark 4.......which of course looks like all of the other Canons they release.

Canon-5D-Mark-IV-DSLR-camera-6-270x270.jpg
Canon-5D-Mark-IV-DSLR-camera-1-270x270.jpg
Canon-5D-Mark-IV-DSLR-camera-5-270x270.jpg
Canon-5D-Mark-IV-DSLR-camera-2-270x270.jpg

Sensor: Effective pixels 30.4 million pixels, dual pixel CMOS
AF point: 61 points
ISO: 100-102400 (extension) standard ISO up to 32000?
Continuous shooting: 7 frames / sec.
Video: 4K 30fps, HD120fps
150,000-pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
Touch screen
Anti-flicker
Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi · NFC connection
Media: SDXC / SDHC / SD, CompactFlash Type II
The main terminal: USB 3.0, HDMI
Size: 150.7 x 116.4 x 75.9mm
Weight: 890g

It's sad really. With the technology that they have, you'd think they'd follow suit in creating a good mirrorless. Honestly Canon and Nikon should destroy Sony for the reason that they have the lens library and all it takes is a good mirrorless body to have people not buy the A7R2s. It's just odd to me that they can't get that figured out.

Speaking of Canon, the new Mark 4.......which of course looks like all of the other Canons they release.

Touch screen
Anti-flicker

I'd be surprised if canon were to announce another 5d just a year after releasing the 5ds and 5dsr.

I was so close to buying Sony mirrorless a few months back but decided to stick with DSLR. DSLR just feels safer for right now.

That being said, I might cop the Sony a6300 just for shooting some video.

Touch screen
Anti-flicker

it's the classic "innovator's dilemma"...the fact that companies in a position like canon & nikon, industry leaders with really defined consumers/users, makes it hard for them to change up; the other companies had to go mirrorless for differentiation. the fact is the 5d series (same goes for the equivalent nikon) are already pretty awesome, and each one is, if only even slightly, an improvement than the previous iteration. this however, prevents them from making drastic changes, because why mess with what is working? they really don't have much incentive to switch up, because it would almost certainly be a loss for the short term...

and when you think about it the math makes sense, the camera market is & continues to shrink, even with the mirrorless trend, so maybe they have both just decided not to invest in making mirrorless cameras cameras that could only cannibalize their existing cameras-in which case they only break even- or require additional investment to develop & maintain a new mirrorless system...

5ds & 5dsr are somewhat specialized cameras, those cameras makes less sense in their range than a new 5d mk iv, which now has 4k, a decent resolution jump, and presumably better performance, most people who shoot canon will probably be happy, but there isn't a wow feature necessarily that makes it really exciting to upgrade...

I was so close to buying Sony mirrorless a few months back but decided to stick with DSLR. DSLR just feels safer for right now.

Safer in what sense? Mirrorless is going nowhere but up.

If you're talking about your style of shooting, I feel you. Have you tried shooting mirrorless though?

If you're talking about your style of shooting, I feel you. Have you tried shooting mirrorless though?

Maybe he shoots sports and cant give up the 1d x mk 2 or the d5

I just went to a skate demo and mind you a 5D is still good even though it isn't a 7D but I couldn't shoot stuff for crap. Autofocus is just such a hit and miss and I even did back button focusing and AI Servo. I almost wish I had a 7D body to compliment my 5D.

Got two though which I like but wish I got some more stuff considering.

adidas-1a.png
adidas-2b.png

Yes, it was just personal preference.

I have never shot mirrorless before and was just getting into paid gigs. Wanted to upgrade to full frame and felt it was a bit too risky to learn a new system (EVF, etc) at that time.

Also heard things about battery issues, overheating, slow AF in certain circumstances for the Sony a7 series. But again it was more the learning curve that I think I would have had to have encountered more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom