The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

You can get real Mexican food or get Taco Bell.

To say you can substitute an iphone for a shot/situation a dslr would be used for, like a wedding or even a street style shoot, is crazy to say though. :lol:

That being said iPhone pics are fine, good quality, but I woudnt use it for an actual shoot. Imagine getting hired to do a wedding and shooting with an iPhone, or even a basic streetstyle shoot with a blogger and using an iPhone and guarantee youd never get another gig. :lol:

Sure but for what he's looking for, on the fly in the moment pictures to hang in his house looking for a cost friendly alternative to using a professional, a cell phone is a great option.
You are making a point that, while true, doesn't need to be made. I'm not suggesting using an iPhone as a main shooter on a photoshoot for a professional photographer. I'm suggesting someone to use what they already have to accomplish a goal.

Nobody mentioned a wedding and he even mentions that he's not looking to get anything "professional". Relax

That Sony A7IV looks dope but i am still waiting for the high end EOS R. Been waiting this long for a high end Canon mirrorless. I feel it’s almost here but it better be up to snuff.

Take an iphone and blow it up to hang on a wall and its gonna look like ****.

I've been actually printing some stuff and been thoroughly shocked by some things but still agree with your statement. I made some 4X6 prints not too long ago and printed in metallic with some DLSR photos and some iPhone stuff and honesty between the two, it is hard to say which is from what. I think after some coloring and editing, iPhone pic will look fine in print and even bigger sizes up to 8.5X11. Hell, I even saw some GoPro photos on a wall the other day that were like 16X24 and they looked great and the megapixels for those photos are somewhat iPhone caliber.

It's really when you are hitting 24X36 sizes that you see a difference with quality and even from talking to most print shops, most and if not all large size prints will be blurry to a degree. So printing iPhone stuff is totally doable but a lot of cell phone photos suffer when you are talking more or less low light stuff, shadow recovery, action photos, etc. Not to mention that iPhones or other cell phones only have 2 lenses and that is where a DLSR is necessary for various vocal points in getting that right shot.

Also depends what you shoot, but for the most part I aint printing a photo using an iPhone pic, its gonna look significantly better on DSLR, and especially if you need to blow it bigger pause.

You can get real Mexican food or get Taco Bell.

To say you can substitute an iphone for a shot/situation a dslr would be used for, like a wedding or even a street style shoot, is crazy to say though. :lol:

That being said iPhone pics are fine, good quality, but I woudnt use it for an actual shoot. Imagine getting hired to do a wedding and shooting with an iPhone, or even a basic streetstyle shoot with a blogger and using an iPhone and guarantee youd never get another gig. :lol:
I think he means that with most phone cameras, you can get a sense of a DSLR when it comes to shutter, aperture and ISO. I had to dig into his comment to come to this and I do hope this is what he meant.

Cool, didn’t want to start randomly posting in here. Approached a gym owner about making videos for him. Really have no idea what I’m doing. Learning as I go. Let me know what you guys think. Really wanna hear critiques.

props to you for go getting it! for what it's worth, definitely not a pro so it isn't like i know what is pro...what you put together is decent, the bodybag transitions are nice, and it's cool how close you get to the action altho for some of the shots the framing is too tight for the action or off center such that it looks like a mistake; also maybe some shots are a bit long and slows the pace of the vid...

if you haven't already, give some consideration to what it is you want the video(s) to communicate/say...this might help you decide what shots you really need

curious about others' experiences. when dealing with files from cameras with images from cameras with >25 mp. do those files significantly slow down the work flow because of their size, especially when working on just a macbook pro? i havent handled anything greater than a d750. news about the a74 tempts me to transition from nikon to sony when upgrading in october...but not convinced that there is any need for all those extra mp's if it's all for hobby compared to the a73.

props to you for go getting it! for what it's worth, definitely not a pro so it isn't like i know what is pro...what you put together is decent, the bodybag transitions are nice, and it's cool how close you get to the action altho for some of the shots the framing is too tight for the action or off center such that it looks like a mistake; also maybe some shots are a bit long and slows the pace of the vid...

if you haven't already, give some consideration to what it is you want the video(s) to communicate/say...this might help you decide what shots you really need

Thanks, this was the first class I filmed. At times I got way to close where I was hit so I'm going to make sure to give them more space next time. During the editing process I was trying to make sure I didn't give even clip more than 4 seconds but I might've overdid the slow mo because I had to make exceptions for some clips. This was show with the Osmo Pocket and my phone. I'll try to film more with my Sony camera and put them together.

curious about others' experiences. when dealing with files from cameras with images from cameras with >25 mp. do those files significantly slow down the work flow because of their size, especially when working on just a macbook pro? i havent handled anything greater than a d750. news about the a74 tempts me to transition from nikon to sony when upgrading in october...but not convinced that there is any need for all those extra mp's if it's all for hobby compared to the a73.

depends on how your catalog/editing library is set up, but yea the will load slower...whether it's significant enough that it really impacts how you work might be down to the specs of your computer...

surprising that sony re-upped the r-series so soon but the prices on the r2 & r3 should drop and those are still pretty impressive cameras, it will be interesting to see how the latest camera will be received because it doesn't seem like a substantive update other than resolution & slightly different ergonomics

If it’s for hobby like you said I suggest the a7III. I’m in the same boat and as soon as I saw the specs for the 7rIV I knew it wasn’t for me. I have the a7II and 24 is perfectly fine for me. I can’t wait to see the price go down on a 7III to jump on it. I’ve never been a “r” shooter. Went a7-a7ii and soon a7iii.

giphy.gif

you and me both. I breezed through to see if there was a deal on a d750, should of shopped around more. smfh

Looking to get a 5D Mark IV...Or is there something else I should consider?

Also, where do you normally make your purchases?

Was not a fan of the Sony A7II...

B&H used to be my go to website when I was lookin at cameras..

My friend was able to get a Sony a6000 for $100 on prime day.

Looking to get a 5D Mark IV...Or is there something else I should consider?

Also, where do you normally make your purchases?

Was not a fan of the Sony A7II...

BH Photo but I think you have to buy stuff with their Payboo card to get over not paying tax now.

If you have Canon lenses, the Mark 4 is a smart purchase. The only thing I am looking for is the new Canon R that should compete with the Sony A7R3 (I guess A7R4 now but I doubt it will have competing specs to it since it just came out). Other than that, the Mark 3 is okay if you are on a tight budget but I think the Mark 4 is sold considering the alternative to that would be the 6D mark 2 which got super bad reviews.

Anyone have any experience with the cheap imitation Yongnuo lenses?
Needed a fast lens and my sister took my 35 f/1.8 so I figured now would be a good time to try out Yongnuo's 50 f/1.8.

It cost $68 and it's arriving tomorrow. Excited to see how it feels to shoot with; haven't bought new glass in years.

Anybody here shoot 35mm film and live in los angeles?

If so, where is the best place to get film developed in the Los Angeles area?

where is the best place to buy film?

Anyone have any experience with the cheap imitation Yongnuo lenses?
Needed a fast lens and my sister took my 35 f/1.8 so I figured now would be a good time to try out Yongnuo's 50 f/1.8.

It cost $68 and it's arriving tomorrow. Excited to see how it feels to shoot with; haven't bought new glass in years.

My boy has a 35mm 2.0 and it sucks. You can make it work with a lot of post editing but I woudnt recommend one.

I imagine the contrast is bad as well as just clarity. Even with the Canon nifty-fifty, it lacks a sense of pop with the look but as stated, a lot of that can be fixed in post. For the money, it's probably fine but I am sure there is plenty of better glass out there.

Back
Top Bottom