What is your relationship with your father like?

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

hmmm so Freud was right. 
electra complex?

alright I kid, I kid.....
grin.gif
alien.gif

Freud was on the right path, he just let his perverted mind detour him.

the theory is somewhat tangible though, there are people whom have electra and oedipal complexes. they just don't know it....
the types of people that have drunk and abusive fathers and in-turn hook up with the same sort of cats. 
alien.gif

it's a subconscious thing for sure. Ionno about Freud being a pervert, sure it definitely sounded like that to most of us who learned about him in high school psychology. but dude was definitely on to something....

anyways, that's a topic for another day. you're weird even bringing it up....
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
 you brung it up.
Me and Freud go way back, psych major.

My father - was never there, always working.
Stepdad - Spectacular, made me a better man. 

Smartest and most successful man that i know personally..

Came from a single parent home in East Oakland with 5 sisters now he manages million dollar jobs with the top electrical company in the US, Rosendin electric
pimp.gif

Always makes me strive to be the best too.. Love him to death.

Never met him, don't care to other than to sue him for 100,000 for cost of living expenses....

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

he beat me hella times, then put a gun to my head

You should killed him. He deserves it.

My dad is awesome, could not have asked for a better dad.

Hell of a provider. Man is a genius with his hands... dude can fix a car/home electrical/plumbing/lawn/etc. problem with whatever's in his pockets. I wish I took the initiative as a kid to spend more time around him to learn some of that. I've seen him take toys & supplies to the needy, I've seen him literally give the shirt off his back to apply pressure to a wound of someone in an accident, go to the animal shelter & adopt a cat he saw on the news that got burned in a house fire (he didn't like cats but still can't explain why he did it), work OT to get me my first Jordans & absolutely KO someone at the state fair that almost knocked my sister's stroller over.

But on to another side. He wasn't all that pleasant to be around, because if he saw something he didn't like you were getting a 6 hour lecture about absolute madness. Very old school & set in his ways. Never happy.

Now though? Since his heart attack in 2009, dude mellowed out to a degree I never thought possible. I enjoy spending time with him, and just shooting the bull for hours. Dude uses to trip over my piercings & dyed hair, now he doesn't even double take.

All in all, he did a pretty damn good job. I never wanted for anything, never went hungry and he had my back when it mattered. Also taught me how to throw hands including a vicious right hook. Dude taught me both intentionally & inadvertently how to be a man & father. Nothing but love for the man.

We're distant. Used to be closer when I was younger. I don't hate the man, but it's just weird. We're both socially awkward so the only words we exchange are just small talk. Wish I had a better relationship with him but it is what it is. He tends to have a lot of faults too, but I don't hold it against him. At least most of the time.

My pops and i get along real well. Joke around a lot and is always there when i need him. I love the guy.

Originally Posted by WhatsLosinLike

Did not read.

Me and my pops are best friends tho.
pimp.gif

Mostly read, but same.  My dad and I have a great relationship.

My dad is probably the most condescending most hyprotical person I know.

But I have a real close relationship with him. He was a tough dad that showed little to no love to myself and my brother and sister. And most things about life he ended up being right.

He did provide us with everything we needed though, food, cars and college tuition and thats how he felt a mans duty is, to provide.

Seeing I am a father now its important to me that I provide for my kids like him but at the same time I learned from his mistakes and show as much love and attention as possible to my kids.

-Disappointed in my dad
-He did his bare minimum job as a dad, but isn't a father figure to me
-Claims he cares for me but just doesn't know what I actually expect from him
-I have confronted him before and he doesn't get it
-Half-#*@@@ everything in life
-Doesn't change

Divorced my Mom, left all his debt and unfinished financial business here, lied to my face about serious family stuff, used me and my knowledge of technology to attempt to cover up his tracks of messing around with other women when I wasn't aware he was doing it, doesn't want to admit to messing everything up because he couldn't keep it in his pants, and didn't put a REAL effort into fixing his marriage. Was always letting his hating *%# side of the family up into his ear, acting like they knew what was better for him than his own immediate family. Like bro you're doing better than all of them combined, why are you taking their advice?  moved out last December after cheating on her for 10+ years. He can find a way to get a ticket back to his home country and rides up and down the state, but he can't find a way to help out his family that's STILL struggling partially because of him. But he can hook up with random ##$%+@ who he thinks care about him.

Besides a 2 minute call every few months, I don't %#+% with him.

growin up til end of HS, he was the father figure...the guy that always helped me whenever i needed help and led by example. He never really sat me down and taught me so and so, but i'd just watch him and i don't know how i could possibly live up to that if i become a father myself

now in college, he's still the father figure, but it's more of a best friend/bro relationship. We don't see each other often but whenever i come home we're talkin bout sports and stuff from his job

it's awesome

My dad just didn't know how to be a father to a girl. He was a former tough athlete and it was struggle. Its an amazement I came out like I did but my mom gave me my fem and compassionate touch but I get my ruthlessness straight from my pops. "take em out Cap if you have to" type @*%#.
30t6p3b.gif
roll.gif
that man. I love him to death tho.

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

It's weird. I can't really explain it. Let's just say I love him but there are quite a few things about him I don't like. He's been there all my life but at times it's like he's not there at all.

But on a overall basis...he's a good dude.
Basically this.

He was a good provider but as a father, always felt like something was missing. I could have used his advice/guidance in a lot situations growing up. I'd always ask but he would sort of brush me off. Our relationship is better now though but there are still things that I'll never understand or respect but those are his mistakes to make.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

He worked very hard and provided for me and my family, and for that I'll forever be grateful. I don't want to say "And that's it" because I feel like it's sorta trivializing what he did....but besides that he's like a stranger to me. No animosity towards him though. Just one of those situations where it is what it is.
So much "this" that its actually kinda crazy.

OP be thankful your dad is there.  I know it sounds dumb but by all the posts in here you can see a lot of us never had a father figure.
Mom and dad divorced when i was 6.  Wasn't present during my childhood.  I graduated college and he wanted to be cool.  I try not to hold grudges.  So me and dad are fine now and he helped me land a job i see him like 2 times a month now maybe.  But i will never see him as anything more then a friend.  #mommasboy 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by gHeTtOnOyPi

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

It's weird. I can't really explain it. Let's just say I love him but there are quite a few things about him I don't like. He's been there all my life but at times it's like he's not there at all.

But on a overall basis...he's a good dude.
This. 

Back
Top Bottom