People with anxiety or panic attacks ....

Oh ok cool..you could have a vitamin deficiency and magnesium is known to help with anxiety...look it up..if its inside your head have you went to counseling to see if there's an underlying problem?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0956596258/?tag=niketalk0e-20
This book really has helped me..Ithose kinda teaches you how to control the anxiety and not let it control you..very good read that I've applied to my life and when I have those moments I think back to the lessons I learned in that book..

I actually considered the magnesium thing also. I tried the "Natural Calm" drink, and while it was cool to feel relaxed, I don't think it's a long term solution for me. Counseling I did from around 2007-2013. It helped at first but again, I think the key is finding inner peace somehow. It's a grind.

I'm going to check that book out. I also copped "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F&%$" which I plan to read ASAP.

That's my issue. I'm a perfectionist/worrier by nature. It's hard to cover up with quick solutions unfortunately.

I actually considered the magnesium thing also. I tried the "Natural Calm" drink, and while it was cool to feel relaxed, I don't think it's a long term solution for me. Counseling I did from around 2007-2013. It helped at first but again, I think the key is finding inner peace somehow. It's a grind.

I'm going to check that book out. I also copped "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F&%$" which I plan to read ASAP.

That's my issue. I'm a perfectionist/worrier by nature. It's hard to cover up with quick solutions unfortunately.

I feel you my dude...I'm my biggest critic and as the psychiatrist told me people with "Gad" feel like the world revolves around them so yes our mindsets are set on being perfectionist.. I'll be checking out that book that you just mentioned as well.. the psychiatrist wanted to put me on Zoloft but for me that's a very last option.. I want to be able to control it on my own and once you start reading some of those books it will let you know that you'll probably always have anxiety but at least you'll know how to deal with it..

I feel you my dude...I'm my biggest critic and as the psychiatrist told me people with "Gad" feel like the world revolves around them so yes our mindsets are set on being perfectionist.. I'll be checking out that book that you just mentioned as well.. the psychiatrist wanted to put me on Zoloft but for me that's a very last option.. I want to be able to control it on my own and once you start reading some of those books it will let you know that you'll probably always have anxiety but at least you'll know how to deal with it..

My advice in regards to meds, proceed with caution. Only take that prescription if you have super self-control. And if you do, don't use it regularly. Only as an absolute last resort i.e. you're having a panic attack.

I took my doctor's advice for a Klonopin prescription. It was too good to be true. Turns you into a zombie eventually. I was on a low dose too @ 0.25 MG. Glad I'm off that.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on that. Meds are a band aid IMO.

Hey guys,

I ran into this thread by accident. I don't know much about anxiety to be honest. But I'm posting because a friend just launched a mental wellness company. He was a mentor when I met him. First generation Asian American who dropped out of college, and started his own company. He then sold it for hundreds of millions. He was a rock star to outsiders. He suffered a lot from depression and alcohol and drug abused in the process. He had anxiety attacks too and popped Xanax pills to calm down. The guy came close to dying a couple of times. Spent millions to launch this company to tackle this stigma issue with natural ingredients.

I talked to the Chief Science Officer many times, and he's focusing on the gut brain axis. He said for the longest time we've been focusing on the brain with harmful medications. The stuff is focusing on the gut, which has more bacteria than the brain and it is connected to the brain.

If you guys want to know more about the company, here are a couple of videos (they don't work on mobile at the moment):

About the company: http://ltl.is/o3YHk

The science: http://ltl.is/BJOPK

This is the full video, about 12 mins long: http://ltl.is/bxiDU

Full disclosure: I am taking the supplement and I'm on week two, and I do represent the company because I suffered from depression. I don't have anxiety, but I was depressed in my teens and 20s. We had a big meeting this weekend, and the stuff worked wonders for people who had way worse issues.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to contact me. It's a lifestyle change. I hope you all are getting good sleep, eating a good diet and exercising/meditating too.

Do you think it's because it's a social setting? Or because you're unsure of what to expect with the work/training?

I used to get it in college in certain classes.

Its the social setting....and being evaluated people of higher training eyeing you like a hawk when doing very critically graded timed practicals.
Its tough on all of us...so it helps with the social settings.....when all your classmates are just as nervous and anxious -

Its the social setting....and being evaluated people of higher training eyeing you like a hawk when doing very critically graded timed practicals.
Its tough on all of us...so it helps with the social settings.....when all your classmates are just as nervous and anxious -
A friend wanted to become an EMT, but the wait list was crazy long. He eventually moved back home with his parents and gave it his all to become a doctor (dream career). I didn't think he was going to make it because he was a goof ball messing around and got a BA in Sociology. We didn't keep in touch much because I was going through my masters' programs and working full time. Fast forward to now, he's a bonafide MD! I called and talked to him. He went to med school in Kansas and did residency in Chicago. He said he was having anxiety like crazy: the long distance relationship, and the two weeks process of having to apply to residency schools and flying out to interviews (with his own money that he didn't have). If no schools accept you, then you're screwed.

The takeaway I got from this is that it can happen to anyone of any profession or income level.

We, as men, don't talk about this much because it's a stigma. But I think it does help to empathize with others. Of course, this is just one piece of it. I really think the best proactive measure is the holistic approach. Gratitude walks, exercising, eating well, and meditating did wonders for me.

I'm not much active on NT anymore, but I guess you get emails for new replies, that's how I came back here. I know what it's like to be alone and have no one to talk to. Open invitation to any dudes who feel like they can't open to anyone: ping/email me.

My advice in regards to meds, proceed with caution. Only take that prescription if you have super self-control. And if you do, don't use it regularly. Only as an absolute last resort i.e. you're having a panic attack.

I took my doctor's advice for a Klonopin prescription. It was too good to be true. Turns you into a zombie eventually. I was on a low dose too @ 0.25 MG. Glad I'm off that.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on my man that's why I didn't want to be on meds..did the klonopin actually help you though? How did it make you feel?

Yea man I hav

Sounds like you have a good grasp on that. Meds are a band aid IMO.

I agree that meds would be a last resort for me..how did the klonopin work for you and how did it do aso far as helping your anxiety?

Yea my man I kinda just deal with it and put myself in situations that im not always comfortable with which kinda helps mensure mentally..something as little as going to the mall where it's going to be crowded or standing in a line where there's a lot of people can cause me to have anxiety..it's tough man..

A friend wanted to become an EMT, but the wait list was crazy long. He eventually moved back home with his parents and gave it his all to become a doctor (dream career). I didn't think he was going to make it because he was a goof ball messing around and got a BA in Sociology. We didn't keep in touch much because I was going through my masters' programs and working full time. Fast forward to now, he's a bonafide MD! I called and talked to him. He went to med school in Kansas and did residency in Chicago. He said he was having anxiety like crazy: the long distance relationship, and the two weeks process of having to apply to residency schools and flying out to interviews (with his own money that he didn't have). If no schools accept you, then you're screwed.

The takeaway I got from this is that it can happen to anyone of any profession or income level.

We, as men, don't talk about this much because it's a stigma. But I think it does help to empathize with others. Of course, this is just one piece of it. I really think the best proactive measure is the holistic approach. Gratitude walks, exercising, eating well, and meditating did wonders for me.

I'm not much active on NT anymore, but I guess you get emails for new replies, that's how I came back here. I know what it's like to be alone and have no one to talk to. Open invitation to any dudes who feel like they can't open to anyone: ping/email me.

Thanks for contributing man! Glad you stumbled upon the thread. I appreciate all these personal testimonies so much, whether it's about you or people you know.

One thing I've learned that may be of some benefit to others...embrace anxiety. It's okay. I think once you accept that it's part of who you are, it's easier to move on. It's okay to say "I have anxiety." Like you said, American society glorifies the "tough guy" keep your feelings within (ala the sentiment from Tony's pals in the Sopranos).

However, in my opinion that is WAY more counterproductive and even destructive. There's plenty of literature nowadays warning us how bad stress is for overall health. Keeping it stored within is like creating a ticking time bomb in a pressure cooker. No bueno. I learned the hard way. It needs to be released via the methods you described, exercise and so on. I'm still working on it myself.

I agree that meds would be a last resort for me..how did the klonopin work for you and how did it do aso far as helping your anxiety?

Yea my man I kinda just deal with it and put myself in situations that im not always comfortable with which kinda helps mensure mentally..something as little as going to the mall where it's going to be crowded or standing in a line where there's a lot of people can cause me to have anxiety..it's tough man..

Klonipin worked okay as a short-term fix. I was at a point where I was so stressed out and anxious that I didn't know what to do with myself. So it helped mellow me out. However, like any other substance that makes one feel good, there's a tendency to become dependent. I wouldn't say I was dependent, but I was taking a small dose everyday whereas its suggested use is "occasionally or as needed." Benzos are not something that should be taken everyday. I was working a tough job and had a lot going on in my life. Although it made me feel better, it would have been much more beneficial to embrace and deal with my issues.

Overall it did help me, but it's a dangerous med. It sort of "zoots" you out and removes emotion. It can also kill you if you withdraw. Would only recommend in emergency situations.

I'm the same way in social situations. Sometimes I'll be in line at Chipotle and tense up because I feel like everyone is looking at me. I'm an outgoing person in certain situations but a complete introvert in others. I 100% can empathize with you on that. It sucks.

Had it for the past few years but over the last 6 months it had gotten really bad. Went to the doctor and they prescribed me the lowest dose of fluoxetine and I've liked how it has worked. No side effects for me or anything and I feel a million times better.

Probably mention here before, but when I was going through this I drinking a lot of energy drinks and taking other pre-workout stimulants, should check that if you are.

Anyone here take Paxil?

@jandro807 how long did it take for Paxil to start working? My doc wants to start me at 20 mg but I'm hesitant to even take medicine at all.

Last edited:
Klonipin worked okay as a short-term fix. I was at a point where I was so stressed out and anxious that I didn't know what to do with myself. So it helped mellow me out. However, like any other substance that makes one feel good, there's a tendency to become dependent. I wouldn't say I was dependent, but I was taking a small dose everyday whereas its suggested use is "occasionally or as needed." Benzos are not something that should be taken everyday. I was working a tough job and had a lot going on in my life. Although it made me feel better, it would have been much more beneficial to embrace and deal with my issues.

Overall it did help me, but it's a dangerous med. It sort of "zoots" you out and removes emotion. It can also kill you if you withdraw. Would only recommend in emergency situations.

I'm the same way in social situations. Sometimes I'll be in line at Chipotle and tense up because I feel like everyone is looking at me. I'm an outgoing person in certain situations but a complete introvert in others. I 100% can empathize with you on that. It sucks.

Thanks for the breakdown my dude..Like you I've always been an introverted person and I spend a lot of time preoccupied with my own thoughts..I'm also an extremely nostalgic person so things from my past such as tv theme songs or music period helps my anxiety...

I'll get an invite from a friend to an event months or weeks in advance and I'll literally panic about the thought of it..Its crazy because after you get through doing what you initially had fear or anxiety about you'll say to yourself "wow that wasn't so bad" but once the next go-around comes you'll still feel the same way.. I've kinda learned to deal with it though..

I get when around people I don't know or talking to people I don't know well.

Sometimes it's like an adrenaline rush and sometimes I'm cool.

Idk.

Im cool and still talk to everyone. Not no weirdo. But it does happen a lot.

It's like presenting projects in front of a classroom.

Some people are just shy, but they can do what they have to do and are still focused.

When I get in front my heart is beating fast, arms feel weak, knees feel weak, brain is in adrenaline rush mode, idk what I'm doing, hands shaking, eyes twitching, and stuttering occurs.

Is this anxiety?

There are some people with normal minor everyday anxiety that can sometimes be helped with things like diet, exercise, talk therapy, etc. and then there's people with actual anxiety/panic disorder or a chemical imbalance. With this you have 3 options:

1.) SSRI's (Antidepressant) like Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, etc. (These are non addictive safe long term medications that you take once a day and it evens out the chemical imbalance. They will not get you high.)

2.) Benzodiazepine's like Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, etc. These can be very addictive and can get you high. You take them when you feel an attack coming on and once you take it it works fast and it wears off hours later. Only take the dose your doctor gives you.

3.) CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). It's a therapy that changes the way your brain does things. Helps with things like Anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. People should do this even if you don't have a mental illness.

When I get in front my heart is beating fast, arms feel weak, knees feel weak, brain is in adrenaline rush mode, idk what I'm doing, hands shaking, eyes twitching, and stuttering occurs.

Is this anxiety?

Yup. And to make matters worse, in the mind of many people with anxiety, they believe that everyone in the room is noticing all of the little symptoms you listed, further perpetuating the anxiety.

It's like presenting projects in front of a classroom.

Some people are just shy, but they can do what they have to do and are still focused.

Is this anxiety?

99% yes but you have to talk to a doctor to rule out anything else. Your "Fight or flight" is all messed up.

SupremeBeing5 SupremeBeing5 honestly I'd try talking to randos more to desensitize yourself from talkin to people u don't know

It's in our brains to be anxious like that sometimes because 100s of years ago it would be dangerous to approach unfamiliar tribes

Maybe just getting used to sparking convo with complete strangers will get over ur anxious mind

Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom