[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

Been selling used shoes on eBay over the past couple years. Mainly stuff that doesn’t have much life left, which really sucks for me being that most of the stuff is close to new condition. Hopefully the people that buy get some use out of it.

It gets frustrating knowing that I have pairs close to 15+ years old, that I’ve only worn maybe 4-5 times, knowing their on the cusp of crumpling, or separating. I try to keep track of what I’ve worn through the years, to help me not forget what I have (have a photo album on my phone), and it takes me roughly 3 years to get through most of my pairs. Most cases I get to wear a pair or two a week.

My biggest issue is, I sell stuff, then buy more. At least at this point in the year, I’ve purchased 28 pairs, and sold 36. I guess that’s some type of progress. I need to be more willing to off low value pairs for the low, like some of y’all have mentioned.

I remember it used to be a badge of honor to have hundreds of pairs, now it’s just a hassle.
purchased 28 pairs, and sold 36.

pretty good..... keep up that pace and you will be down to 5 pairs when you turn 98.

:emoji_wink:

Im the exact same. Just gotten older and more and more outta the game of collecting. Started this bug back in ‘99 with the first Bred4 retro. And slowly increased buying sprees from then on. Peak was 500+ pairs. Gave a lot of free shoes to relatives, sold about 100 to consignment shops and now just unloading used pairs on GOAT. Probably sold close to 70 in just a few months. I still have about 250+ pairs but will donate some more as years go by. Finding self-control and not browse online shops is the only way to stop cold-turkey in this game. Im in my mid 40s now and still love shoes but i just cant hoard them like I used to and dont go out as often as many have said here.

I don't have the physical or mental space to just have a bunch of "stuff" everywhere, especially expensive "stuff". I love footwear, but buying the same things over and over again, while paying more each time for the experience makes it easy to not buy things I don't need, or will only wear a few times a year. I can find better ways to spend my hard earned money, especially since a certain sneaker company loves to thumb their noses at their customer base by making old shoes more expensive and more difficult to buy with each release.

I went out for breakfast yesterday and I couldn't believe my eyes; grown men and women sitting outside in the cold at 08:30 waiting for a sneaker store to open so they could pay $230 for some sneakers that came out 30 years ago. That is embarrassing and sad.

I don't have the physical or mental space to just have a bunch of "stuff" everywhere, especially expensive "stuff". I love footwear, but buying the same things over and over again, while paying more each time for the experience makes it easy to not buy things I don't need, or will only wear a few times a year. I can find better ways to spend my hard earned money, especially since a certain sneaker company loves to thumb their noses at their customer base by making old shoes more expensive and more difficult to buy with each release.

I went out for breakfast yesterday and I couldn't believe my eyes; grown men and women sitting outside in the cold at 08:30 waiting for a sneaker store to open so they could pay $230 for some sneakers that came out 30 years ago. That is embarrassing and sad.
That's like drugs dope fiends waiting for shop to open up

Collecting sneakers became a hassle over the yrs you have to do too much just to spend your money plus it takes up a lot of space .Minimalist is something I was talking about with someone and they bought it to my attention.
A minimalist lifestyle is intentionally living with fewer possessions — focusing only on the ones you need. Living with less may be the right choice if you're feeling overwhelmed with clutter, if you're looking for fewer distractions, or if you're looking to cut back on spending.

Collecting sneakers became a hassle over the yrs you have to do too much just to spend your money plus it takes up a lot of space .Minimalist is something I was talking about with someone and they bought it to my attention.
A minimalist lifestyle is intentionally living with fewer possessions — focusing only on the ones you need. Living with less may be the right choice if you're feeling overwhelmed with clutter, if you're looking for fewer distractions, or if you're looking to cut back on spending.

Decluttering and minimalism have really changed my life. I learned this from my friend/former coworker who literally changed my life with teaching me this and personal finance.

I think minimalism gets misunderstood by a lot, so from experience, I'll say that it is much more of a mindset than it is an action (same with decluttering). It's not "just having 1 pair of shoes and only wearing black shirts and blue jeans and using 1 plate for your meals" type of extremity at all. Although it is about having "fewer stuff" with a focus on needs, it's still okay to have some stuff as long as it's something/some things that you love (not just "like" or treat it as whatever) and fulfill/s your happiness without bringing stress. For example: you can love sneakers, and you can love having as many sneakers as you want to the point that you don't feel any type of stress. As you practice decluttering and minimalism, your mindset will start to slowly shift and that amount will steadily decline.

I believe I mentioned this on the front page, but if not, a good way to kinda get the ball rolling to where you're in the "no frills" zone/mindset when cleaning out shoes is to start with the very small stuff that you care the least and work your way up towards the shoes category, which may be something you may like the most. For example, I started with emails in my inbox (unsubscribing from sales/promotions, deleting old emails, etc.) and then went through old miscellaneous stuff like old high school papers, college papers, random tech/media center cabinet stuff, etc. and then eventually made my way to shoes. The goal is to build momentum after each area, because it's psychologically building strength. By the time you get to the sneakers, you're much more confident in eliminating pairs you may hesitate about. It's like the debt snowball method (paying off the smallest debt first and then going to the next one and the next one). I got a few friends who will "declutter" their clothes... and then ****ing buy a bunch right after. Like... that's not decluttering, because it's not a mindset shift; it's just an action.

Another tip is to also not rush decluttering, too. I've had pairs that I debated for quite some time til I said "okay I never wore it when i thought I would X months ago, so this can go."

Last edited:
Decluttering and minimalism have really changed my life. I learned this from my friend/former coworker who literally changed my life with teaching me this and personal finance.

I think minimalism gets misunderstood by a lot, so from experience, I'll say that it is much more of a mindset than it is an action (same with decluttering). It's not just "having 1 pair of shoes and only wearing black shirts and blue jeans and using 1 plate for your meals" type of extremity at all. Although it is about having "fewer stuff" with a focus on needs, it's still okay to have some stuff as long as it's something/some things that you love (not just "like" or treat it as whatever) and fulfill/s your happiness without bringing stress. For example: you can love sneakers, and you can love having as many sneakers as you want to the point that you don't feel any type of stress. As you practice decluttering and minimalism, your mindset will start to slowly shift and that amount will steadily decline.

I believe I mentioned this on the front page, but if not, a good way to kinda get the ball rolling to where you're in the "no frills" zone/mindset when cleaning out shoes is to start with the very small stuff that you care the least and work your way up towards the shoes category, which may be something you may like the most. For example, I started with emails in my inbox (unsubscribing from sales/promotions, deleting old emails, etc.) and then went through old miscellaneous stuff like old high school papers, college papers, random tech/media center cabinet stuff, etc. and then eventually made my way to shoes. The goal is to build momentum after each area, because it's psychologically building strength. By the time you get to the sneakers, you're much more confident in eliminating pairs you may hesitate about. It's like the debt snowball method (paying off the smallest debt first and then going to the next one and the next one). I got a few friends who will "declutter" their clothes... and then ****ing buy a bunch right after. Like... that's not decluttering, because it's not a mindset shift; it's just an action.

Another tip is to also not rush decluttering, too. I've had pairs that I debated for quite some time til I said "okay I never wore it when i thought I would X months ago, so this can go."
Thanks definitely need to declutter a lot of stuff and I like the start small and work my way around

Can't remember if we've talked about this yet, but going into other threads of brands you don't care about helps. All of a sudden they're just shoes.

Can't remember if we've talked about this yet, but going into other threads of brands you don't care about helps. All of a sudden they're just shoes.

The desire to buy whatever just for impulse is long dead with me. Yes, I'll always be a sneakerhead, and will still buy SPECIFIC shoes that come out, but for the most part, the days of old, of buying so many pairs is done!

The only shoes I want that are coming to the end of the year, is one release, the black/sagan blue OG Flight Huarache Fab Five. I'll also pick up a pair of Ships. Either the tech grey, or the Team Orange so I can customize with some Angelus. Maybe both if I can get them cheap enough. Nothing else peeks my interest.

Next year, I only see 2 so far. The black/cement Reimagined IVs (I don't mind the leather upper) and more so the Military Blues, as long as they look good and are of decent materials. I don't even want the XIs coming at the end of the year. No interest in them. My old self, I'd jump at them. But things change when your mentality changes. And I have ZERO regrets in regards to selling all my pairs I did. And I kept the few pairs that I REALLY wanted, knowing full well that they will not be retroed again (Huarache Trainer 94s, Huarache Light, Carnivore, Griffey Diamond Fury, Reebok Pump Blacktop Battlegrounds). Everything else didn't have the meaning these did.

ITS OCTOBER… IVE ONLY PURCHASED 6 PAIRS OF KICKS(4 NEW BALANCE, 1 NIKE, 1 JORDAN) THIS YEAR, AND SOLD 7(NOT TRYING TO GET TAXED BY IRS FOR SELLING TOO MUCH). OF THOSE 6, ONLY 3 ARE STILL DS(WHICH IS GOOD FOR ME, 2-3YRS AGO, ALL 6 WOULD STILL BE DS:ohwell:)

THATS A RECORD LOW PURCHASES FOR ME.

RELEASES BEEN DROPPING LEFT AND RIGHT AND I JUST LOOK AND PASS. I WAS VERY SPECIFIC WITH MY PURCHASES.

ITS OCTOBER… IVE ONLY PURCHASED 6 PAIRS OF KICKS(4 NEW BALANCE, 1 NIKE, 1 JORDAN) THIS YEAR, AND SOLD 7(NOT TRYING TO GET TAXED BY IRS FOR SELLING TOO MUCH). OF THOSE 6, ONLY 3 ARE STILL DS(WHICH IS GOOD FOR ME, 2-3YRS AGO, ALL 6 WOULD STILL BE DS:ohwell:)

THATS A RECORD LOW PURCHASES FOR ME.

RELEASES BEEN DROPPING LEFT AND RIGHT AND I JUST LOOK AND PASS. I WAS VERY SPECIFIC WITH MY PURCHASES.

Its a great feeling, isn't it, to let new releases just pass you buy and not give them a 2nd thought? I feel so much better nowadays vs my old self. Yes, I'll buy SPECIFIC shoes, like you but they will be very specific. 👍👍

Its a great feeling, isn't it, to let new releases just pass you buy and not give them a 2nd thought? I feel so much better nowadays vs my old self. Yes, I'll buy SPECIFIC shoes, like you but they will be very specific. 👍👍

ITS WONDERFUL FEELING. IM 3-4YRS “CLEAN” NOW :lol:

SNEAKER PURCHASES ARE VERY SELECTIVE!

I STILL HAVE HOMIES WHO CHASE RELEASES AND I JUST SIT BACK AND SHAKE MY HEAD.

I watched a video of some dude that did a lot of time telling pen stories and in the background he had a shoe rack and all kinds of boxes stacked. But it was like a bunch of gr am90 and stuff. was lame and sad. difference between nostalgia collecting and buying a bunch of shoes

Definitely nice to have even less now. I've let go two of my 3 Huaraches (still trying to get rid of that last one at the moment) and an extra pair of Infrared AM90s. I still have one brand new pair left and a worn pair and as much as I love the Infrareds, I'm torn on whether that should just be replaced with a shoe I'd want to wear instead of saving it for another year or two before starting to wear those out.

Regardless, pictured is what I currently have with two pairs missing in there (some workout trainers that I threw the box away for and my custom Air Max 1 dedicated to my dog)... three pairs if we wanna count those Huaraches I'm trying to get rid of. Regardless, I expected a process for me since starting this thread, but I didn't expect to make quite a change and breaking away from this Nike/Jordan loyalism and just having normal (or "normal") shoes. I still expect to have some new shoes here and there as other ones go out.

PXL_20231030_231756357.jpg

Definitely nice to have even less now. I've let go two of my 3 Huaraches (still trying to get rid of that last one at the moment) and an extra pair of Infrared AM90s. I still have one brand new pair left and a worn pair and as much as I love the Infrareds, I'm torn on whether that should just be replaced with a shoe I'd want to wear instead of saving it for another year or two before starting to wear those out.

Regardless, pictured is what I currently have with two pairs missing in there (some workout trainers that I threw the box away for and my custom Air Max 1 dedicated to my dog)... three pairs if we wanna count those Huaraches I'm trying to get rid of. Regardless, I expected a process for me since starting this thread, but I didn't expect to make quite a change and breaking away from this Nike/Jordan loyalism and just having normal (or "normal") shoes. I still expect to have some new shoes here and there as other ones go out.

That's all you have if so congratulations

I admire you brother.....you were able to break the chain and get off the hamster wheel

A HOMIE OF MINE HIT ME THE OTHER DAY SAYING HE HAD TO STOP BUYING KICKS BUT HE COPPED THE PLAYOFF 8’S AND CHERRY 12’S.. I TOLD HIM, MAN IM DONE WITH JORDANS. THEY ARE SO WASHED AND UNAPPEALING. IM DONE BUYING STUFF THAT IVE ALREADY OWNED AT ONE POINT.

THE ONLY JORDANS I LIKE ARE THE CURRENT ONES I OWN(PINE GREEN 1, BRED 4, AND BRED 11-13).

TO THINK AT ONE POINT IN LIFE I HAD ALMOST ALL OG COLORS OF ALL MODELS 3-13 AT THE SAME TIME:smh:.

BUT YA LIVE AND YA LEARN.

A HOMIE OF MINE HIT ME THE OTHER DAY SAYING HE HAD TO STOP BUYING KICKS BUT HE COPPED THE PLAYOFF 8’S AND CHERRY 12’S.. I TOLD HIM, MAN IM DONE WITH JORDANS. THEY ARE SO WASHED AND UNAPPEALING. IM DONE BUYING STUFF THAT IVE ALREADY OWNED AT ONE POINT.

THE ONLY JORDANS I LIKE ARE THE CURRENT ONES I OWN(PINE GREEN 1, BRED 4, AND BRED 11-13).

TO THINK AT ONE POINT IN LIFE I HAD ALMOST ALL OG COLORS OF ALL MODELS 3-13 AT THE SAME TIME:smh:.

BUT YA LIVE AND YA LEARN.

are you going to get the leather bred 4s?

Definitely nice to have even less now. I've let go two of my 3 Huaraches (still trying to get rid of that last one at the moment) and an extra pair of Infrared AM90s.

For you and others who post stories like this, please share how you're doing it. Selling on Ebay or Stockx or Craigslist or Goat or someplace else?

Back
Top Bottom