[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

I was triggered to get the new Kobe's but I'm glad they passed me by. I almost kept a shoe I sold the other day but I told myself just ship them off before you change your mind and now I don't even think twice or think about trying to get them again. Just like we get dopamine in the pursuit, there's dopamine getting rid of them too and we just have to see it through.

I think I did well this year. I only picked up things I actually wear. After I purchased my last shoe in August I believe, I made a vow that I would buy no more shoes until ALL of my debts are paid. It's been challenging because I'm a sucker for new tech, so I would love to try the modern Book 1s, LeBron 21s, etc., but I'm staying strong.

I have a strong feeling that I won't be buying any shoes for the next 5 years or so. Sneakers definitely won't be copped, but maybe some dress shoes and ish because of work.

Got rid of almost all of my Nikes and Js that I never wore. Feels good. I probably have 3-5 pairs left to get rid off.

There’s really no market for little used/used pairs so I guess they’ll be beaters or gym shoes.

I did start a new addiction with new balances. But I’m wearing them. In my mind, that’s progress. 😂😂😂

Finally listed a couple shoes on on goat and eBay, used for both. A couple lowballs offers, I know I can’t get locked up on price but definitely more than what’s being offered so I guess I gotta find a fine line, shoe depending. It’s been discussed selling for the low or at least you know you should get more?

Well, I skimmed most of this thread. But I’ve got to admit, I’m in a haze about finally downsizing. I need space in my house and just feeling the relief of letting go of the hoarding. The wife and I have a significant collection of DS AF1s and Dunks from mid-late 90s to 2010+. The haze is clouding my judgement on how to even begin selling off the collection and protecting myself in the process. And I haven’t really followed much over the last 10 years; but I know quality and purchasing habits are drastically different than when I found NT back in 2002.

We’re not desperate to move them, so time is on my side but I would love to have storage space back eventually. Not really sure what the market is for vintage AF1s and dunks. Odd part is, we’ve bought some recent dunks that we actually wear. The older stuff.. I think we just need to move on and let it all go.

I’ve never been a reseller, only a consumer, so some motivational guidance is appreciated on how to get started and avoiding scams.

My thought is: take inventory, take new photos, find purchase emails to document what I paid (for tax reasons), and somehow start with the least desired (by myself) to keep to the ones hardest to let of.

Well, I skimmed most of this thread. But I’ve got to admit, I’m in a haze about finally downsizing. I need space in my house and just feeling the relief of letting go of the hoarding. The wife and I have a significant collection of DS AF1s and Dunks from mid-late 90s to 2010+. The haze is clouding my judgement on how to even begin selling off the collection and protecting myself in the process. And I haven’t really followed much over the last 10 years; but I know quality and purchasing habits are drastically different than when I found NT back in 2002.

We’re not desperate to move them, so time is on my side but I would love to have storage space back eventually. Not really sure what the market is for vintage AF1s and dunks. Odd part is, we’ve bought some recent dunks that we actually wear. The older stuff.. I think we just need to move on and let it all go.

I’ve never been a reseller, only a consumer, so some motivational guidance is appreciated on how to get started and avoiding scams.

My thought is: take inventory, take new photos, find purchase emails to document what I paid (for tax reasons), and somehow start with the least desired (by myself) to keep to the ones hardest to let of.
Dunks should be a easy sale ebay is your best bet cause if you have older dunks

What size are the men’s AF1s?? :nerd::nerd:

I was in the same exact boat. Have late 90s and 2000s new/used AF1s (10.5). About 50+ pairs and a couple dozen dunks. Sold them all this year on GOAT. Not by a lot; sold most of them from $25-40. Just needed space. Felt really good to unload them

What size are the men’s AF1s?? :nerd::nerd:
Mostly 11 w/ some 10.5. Wife is 6.5W.

Gonna be a huge process deciding the order and what to sell. Plus my life is already time limited. I want to work backwards from least to most fav. Might end up keeping just a couple.

I was in the same exact boat. Have late 90s and 2000s new/used AF1s (10.5). About 50+ pairs and a couple dozen dunks. Sold them all this year on GOAT. Not by a lot; sold most of them from $25-40. Just needed space. Felt really good to unload them

Yikes. The market is that bad. I paid some pretty pennies for some. Plus I have 100+ pairs. Guess I’ll have to do my homework on going rates.

Dunks should be a easy sale ebay is your best bet cause if you have older dunks

Was wondering g if eBay or some reseller site like StockX. I see people asking 500-1000 for some of my dunks (I don’t have SBs. Which I found odd on that). Not sure they sell for that though.

Thanks for the feedback all. Gonna be an interesting year as I try to do this. My parents were hoarders so I think breaking thru the mental barrier is step 1. And always thinking my boys will wear them. Shoot the shoes will be like 30-40 years old by that time.

IMO selling on goat was the least amount of work. Clean em up, take pics and post them. Was hesitant at first since time is limited with work/fam. But found selling them was so easy on goat.

Also, pricewise most AF1s can be had new for $50-60 on sale so sellers cant be too picky or they will sit

IMO selling on goat was the least amount of work. Clean em up, take pics and post them. Was hesitant at first since time is limited with work/fam. But found selling them was so easy on goat.

Also, pricewise most AF1s can be had new for $50-60 on sale so sellers cant be too picky or they will sit

I’ll take a look at and dig thru the site. those prices are wow. 50-60, I might just hold on. You got me thinking about watching for a bit and seeing what sells for what.

8tothe24 8tothe24 if any of those size 11s are co.jps and you want to let em go, feel free to hit me up.

If/when I get to all my co.jp’s I’ll keep you in mind. I need to spend time getting it all together and reflecting on what to get rid of. Prob gonna take a while. Just trying to take that mental jump and vocalize the need to downsize. First step. Haha

Finally got rid shoes i never wore, Travis 6’s and off white dunks. Once i offed those shoes, I’ve become addicted. Looking at shoes that i can do without. The money is better than just letting them sit. I’ve sold like 6 shoes already, 5 eBay 1 GOAT. Not pressed to move them fast, so I’ve been standing firm on pricing. Been good so far.

Well, I skimmed most of this thread. ...

At first I was going to come in here and complain that shopify makes it too damn easy. I clicked maybe 3 buttons and purchased goretex AM90s, but these will be good cause I have something for wet weather other than winter boots.

Then I read your post and saw your were offloading dunks, thank goodness they are not my size lol.

Anyways, with today's purchase (going with one in one out), I've come to terms that there are pairs I don't think I will ever wear so I should move them quick before I change my mind lol.

There are a lot of vintage/resell stores that have opened in the past years. I'm thinking of trying some of them first to get a feel (I just want cash in hand) before trying FB marketplace/kijiji.

On average how much are you guys paying to ship your shoes?

$10 or maybe less than $15. USPS offers Ground Advantage shipping now, which is basically like UPS/FedEx Ground, except they're way better prices now, especially if you use the "enhanced shipping feature" on their website since they seem to offer discounted rates.

I feel pretty good about progress I’ve made on downsizing. On the other hand downsizing maybe isnt the best word. What I’ve done is moved out kicks I don’t wear much or at all, and some high priced heat that it’s just not important to me anymore. But I’ve replaced them with more reasonable and every day type of kicks that I still really enjoy. Certain retros that maybe have some nostalgia or whatever but would get worn once a year… slowly getting rid of those.

The other thing that has me F’ed up (in many different levels) is I haven’t been able to play 🏀 since July ‘23. Knee problems, long story.
I’d say half of my sneakers were for 🏀. They don’t really have resale value especially most have some wear. So they’re just collecting dust til I can play one day.
I be looking in my closet for a pair of casual shoes to wear and I’m like “what the F I barely have anything to choose from 🤣 “ yet still have a big collection of hoop shoes /dust collectors

I feel pretty good about progress I’ve made on downsizing. On the other hand downsizing maybe isnt the best word. What I’ve done is moved out kicks I don’t wear much or at all, and some high priced heat that it’s just not important to me anymore. But I’ve replaced them with more reasonable and every day type of kicks that I still really enjoy. Certain retros that maybe have some nostalgia or whatever but would get worn once a year… slowly getting rid of those.

The other thing that has me F’ed up (in many different levels) is I haven’t been able to play 🏀 since July ‘23. Knee problems, long story.
I’d say half of my sneakers were for 🏀. They don’t really have resale value especially most have some wear. So they’re just collecting dust til I can play one day.
I be looking in my closet for a pair of casual shoes to wear and I’m like “what the F I barely have anything to choose from 🤣 “ yet still have a big collection of hoop shoes /dust collectors

You're a 13 too, right?

Back
Top Bottom