Lock

Not sure how big a fan I am of that Rays/Twins deal from a Tampa Bay perspective...Delmon is going to be an absolute stud, but I guess they do have enough OFdepth to make this work...Their rotation would be nice though with Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Price, Neimann, McGee, Sonnanstine...There'd be alot of goodyoung arms there...

Oh, and here's something I found kind of interesting...
One team, the Texas Rangers, reportedly was told by the Red Sox that they wanted three prospects in exchange for Crisp. The Rangers were supposedly not interested in giving up even one of those prospects but instead were hoping that the clubs could work out a trade that involved catcher Gerald Laird.
Three prospects for Coco?
laugh.gif
Really?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ Who would you choose?

Who would you make a Dodger if you could make it happen: Miggy or Johan?

My money's on Johan, 100 out of 100 times you ask me, but I've always had a bias towards good pitching. To me, having an elite pitcher in baseball is like having an elite center in the NBA. You do NOT pass that up.

I see what you're saying ska, but, BUT, an elite pitcher only plays in roughly 32 games where as a great hitter can potentially play all 162. PersonallyI would take the great everyday player over the elite pitcher, and no way does the great everyday player = the elite pitcher, but you can get more out of theeveryday player. Johan is a nice second choice, and I'd take him before an average player who plays everyday.

^ But the amount of time put in by the two for your team isn't why people go after elite pitchers.

It's because elite pitchers are so rare.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ But the amount of time put in by the two for your team isn't why people go after elite pitchers.

It's because elite pitchers are so rare.
You be quiet
laugh.gif

[h3]Matt Garza Traded For Delmon Young In Blockbuster[/h3]
UPDATE, 11-28-07 at 9pm: It's now a done deal. The Twins substituted 21 year-old reliever Eduardo Morlan instead of Rincon.

UPDATE, 11-28-07 at 7:30pm: This thing hasn't gone through yet because of concerns over Rincon's elbow. The deal will either be finalized or killed by Thursday, according to Scott Miller. The trade has been in the works for a few days.

UPDATE, 11-28-07 at 4pm: Neal reports that the Twins have interest in Aaron Rowand, which is really surprising given his reported demands. I don't see it. Neal adds that Craig Monroe may now be non-tendered and the Garza trade will not stop Bill Smith from shopping Johan Santana. By the way, talks for Coco Crisp persist.

FROM 11-28-07 at 2pm:

Wow! That rumor really didn't die! La Velle E. Neal III says the Twins are close to a multiplayer deal. They'll send Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett, and Juan Rincon to the Rays for Delmon Young, Brendan Harris, and Jason Pridie. I can't remember any kind of young player blockbuster like this recently.

It's exciting to see Bill Smith pull the trigger on a deal to get that possible elite slugger. Will he be more hesitant to trade Johan Santana now? Or maybe it doesn't matter since he'd require an elite young hurler like Phil Hughes in return. Beyond Young, you also have to applaud Smith for getting Pridie, who immediately becomes the Twins' center fielder of the future. The 24 year-old came back from injuries this year to rake in Triple A. Just like that, the Twins have an outfield.

Meanwhile the Rays suddenly have an awesome young trio fronting their rotation in Scott Kazmir, Jamie Shields, and Garza. Rincon's ability is questionable at this point but he could be the setup man the Rays are craving.

I'll give the advantage to the Twins but I like this deal for both teams.

its done.

715 asterisk - What are the Giants going to do with Lincecum? There's been plenty of talk about them trading him, though I couldn't imaginewhy...Wouldn't jumping at a guy like Delmon have been the perfect chance to get that stud hitter they're looking for?

I see Johan being traded for pitchers now since this deal is done. Johan to the Yanks probably
frown.gif

I think we gave up too much. Bartlett is decent and Garza can be outstanding at times. If both guys become consistant they will be very good players.

What about Johan for Reyes and the Mets top pitching prospect? Make it happen!

Delmon Young is a monster. Twins won on that won but it wasnt a terrible deal for the Rays. I just dont think you can trade a guy with Delmons talent.

Originally Posted by nnarum

I see Johan being traded for pitchers now since this deal is done. Johan to the Yanks probably
frown.gif

I think we gave up too much. Bartlett is decent and Garza can be outstanding at times. If both guys become consistant they will be very good players.

But, getting back Hughes, Melky and possibly Tabata/Horne would be a hell of a haul considering Johan would be walking away in a year anyways...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

715 asterisk - What are the Giants going to do with Lincecum? There's been plenty of talk about them trading him, though I couldn't imagine why...Wouldn't jumping at a guy like Delmon have been the perfect chance to get that stud hitter they're looking for?

I think Sabean is testing the waters as far as Lincecum trades go, but after the Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano debacle, he'd be foolish to tradeanother stud arm. Keeping Cain and Lincecum together is what he needs to do and build around pitching in that spacious park. I honestly believe that DelmonYoung could have been attained for Noah Lowry, a much more established pitcher than Matt Garza, and also a left which the Twins will need once Santana departs.

I was reading an Orioles message board, and they are reporting that there is a deal on the table that would send Miguel Tejada to the Halos for Wood andSaunders....

^ Yea I read that too. I really don't expect to get that much for Tejada. Also dont see the Angels making a move on him until the Miguel Cabrera dustsettles. We should be focusing on trading Bedard to the Dodgers.

The Twins aren't really in any kind of position to be giving away pitching, but Young is a stud and Harris is a huge improvement over Bartlett.

Out of any team in the league, the Twins are in a position to trade away pitching. And yes thats taking into account Santana will be moved (he'll bringin at least 1 starter back as well). I also wouldnt say Harris is a "huge" improvement over Bartlett. But neither one really excites me.

Matt Garza is essentially a 2-pitch pitcher. He has the goods with his fastball, and he was a stud in the minors. But the Twins have admitted asmuch that they are frustrated with his struggles becoming a complete MLB pitcher. But his fastball has been dominate on every level he has been on before themajors. I know they didnt want to give up on him but as we know you have to trade talent to get talent, and the Twins need a bat badly. However I know theyfeel Garza was the one guy who was expendable despite his potential, if that makes sense.

Personally for the Twins sake I hope they let D Young just develop and play his natural way, and forget this stupid small ball way they play all the time witheveryone. Let him rake, let him develop into a possible big time slugger.

Twins fans, once the Johan deal goes through we are going to see several other good young players coming in to fill holes hopefully in the near future.Let's just hope our new GM knows what he is doing. We havent had a pitcher on the level of Johan in our Twins lifetimes. Even with the team potentiallylosing him - the possibilities of what we can get in return for him are very intriguing. Potentially fielding an actual MLB batting lineup next season almostmakes me giddy. Losing Hunter will hurt though.

LMAO if this is true...
A little birdie says the Boston Red Sox have become the favorite in the Johan Santana trade sweepstakes.

The Twins would receive four players for the Twins' two-time Cy Young Award winner, including center fielder Coco Crisp, 28.

Others would be shortstop prospect Jed Lowry, 23; left-handed pitcher Jon Lester, 23; and right-handed pitcher Justin Masterson, 22.
smh.gif
If the RedSox get Johan without giving up Clay Buchholz or Jacoby Ellsbury...Wow...

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

The Twins aren't really in any kind of position to be giving away pitching, but Young is a stud and Harris is a huge improvement over Bartlett.

Out of any team in the league, the Twins are in a position to trade away pitching. And yes thats taking into account Santana will be moved (he'll bring in at least 1 starter back as well). I also wouldnt say Harris is a "huge" improvement over Bartlett. But neither one really excites me.

Matt Garza is essentially a 2-pitch pitcher. He has the goods with his fastball, and he was a stud in the minors. But the Twins have admitted as much that they are frustrated with his struggles becoming a complete MLB pitcher. But his fastball has been dominate on every level he has been on before the majors. I know they didnt want to give up on him but as we know you have to trade talent to get talent, and the Twins need a bat badly. However I know they feel Garza was the one guy who was expendable despite his potential, if that makes sense.

Personally for the Twins sake I hope they let D Young just develop and play his natural way, and forget this stupid small ball way they play all the time with everyone. Let him rake, let him develop into a possible big time slugger.

Twins fans, once the Johan deal goes through we are going to see several other good young players coming in to fill holes hopefully in the near future. Let's just hope our new GM knows what he is doing. We havent had a pitcher on the level of Johan in our Twins lifetimes. Even with the team potentially losing him - the possibilities of what we can get in return for him are very intriguing. Potentially fielding an actual MLB batting lineup next season almost makes me giddy. Losing Hunter will hurt though.

I agree with you almost completely. Sounds like you're very much liking the trade, as am I. I think Garza has POTENTIAL to be a solid 15 game winnerin the majors, but he's very flawed. He needs to develop a good changeup and better control of his breaking stuff. I loved his fiery attitude out on themound. I wish he could stay, but we got a stud young hitter and a shortstop that's probably an improvement over Bartlett unless Bartlett all of a suddenpulls through and plays to his potential.

This seems like a pretty good top of the lineup
1-Casilla? We'll see what happens rest of the offseason
2-Mauer (Gardy needs to stop batting him 3rd
3-Young
4-Morneau
5-Cuddyer

Pretty scary top half of the lineup if Cuddy, Mauer and Morneau play like they did 2 seasons ago.

If I'm the Sox...

I give up Jacoby for Santana...if I can get him

Santnana and Beckett??...

and still have a gold glove caliber CF..

now if they don't even have to do that? crazy

Huge improvement.
I'll defer to you then.

But, Seven teams since 2004. Already talk around these parts we may be getting someone else to play SS next season, whatever that means.

Im not sticking up for Bartlett after the season he had, and I didnt exactly have my MLB Extra Innings pointed at Rays games last season. So Ill reservejudgement till this season and go with what you are saying.

Harris was batting over .300 into August, and had a considerably less amount of errors than Bartlett, all while playing three positions.

I'm not saying Brendan Harris is the Twins' future at shortstop or anything like that, but he's an upgrade over Bartlett, no doubt.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

Supposedly Nathans going to either the Cubs or Brewers. Johan to the Yankees for a Kennedy Melky Tabata Horne package but itll depend on what they get for Nathan first.
Where did you see this? If this is true we need to make that happen and keep him outta Mil. I like Nathan but hopefully we don't give up a tonfor a closer.
frown.gif

If the BoSox get Johan
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Beckett, Santana, Schilling, Matsuzaka, Bucholz/Wakefield

What a rotation that would be

Too bad the Twins don't still have the old turf; Coco would hit .350+. Unfortunately, he would also throw balls into the turf from center and cause allkinds of one and two base errors.

Back
Top Bottom