Racism at Burberry? (Serious Advice, and opinions)

Originally Posted by beh235

OP, I feel what your mom is saying, and of course we as Black people have all experienced this one time or another. I'm not hating and I don't mean to nitpick, but please if you are going to write a letter expressing disrespect or mistreatment in a retail store, please make sure it is grammatically correct. If it's not, you will not be taken seriously. Not only for Black people, but for anyone.

i can respect that.. i'm at school and she sent it without my knowing.. english is her 2nd language. spanish is her first..

What does she want?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

why did your mom waste her time w. the letter? If anything, she should have taken her $ elsewhere and bought rainboots from another retailer.
Companies like it when you complain. It gives them a chance "to make it up" to you instead of just outright losing the customer. She might get something out of this but she used weather instead of whether so I'm feeling doubtful now. 
frown.gif
Well, she could have written the letter and stated that she won't be shopping at Burberry for the way that she felt she was treated.  That way 1) Burberry loses a customer 2) she gets her point across

why did your mom waste her time w. the letter? If anything, she should have taken her $ elsewhere and bought rainboots from another retailer.
Companies like it when you complain. It gives them a chance "to make it up" to you instead of just outright losing the customer. She might get something out of this but she used weather instead of whether so I'm feeling doubtful now. 
frown.gif
Well, she could have written the letter and stated that she won't be shopping at Burberry for the way that she felt she was treated.  That way 1) Burberry loses a customer 2) she gets her point across

Originally Posted by youngwill500

Now before i start this thread, Im not trying to pull the race card.. start drama, all my mother wants is a simple apology... 
This is what my mother sent Burberry.. The story is included..

What would you do NT?

EDIT: I know the letter isn't grammatically correct. English isn't her first language.. 
ohwell.gif

November 17[sup]th[/sup], 2010

To Whom It May Concern:

Yesterday around 3:10 pm I went to the Burberry store located on 1155 Connecticut Ave Washington, DC in search of a pair of rain boots to match my Burberry umbrella.  I could have purchased my boots over the Internet, or perhaps even call husband’s family whom all live in England to send me a pair, but I did not. I desired to go to the store in person in order to appreciate the quality, the material and colors of the weather boots.

The need for the weather boots was vital since rain has been announced for the rest of the week in the Nation’s Capitol. My excitement shortly ended and turned into a huge disappointment. I considered myself a smart, sophisticated and elegant forty-nine year old woman.  

As I entered the store, I was not greeted or welcome and was completely ignored for about roughly fifteen minutes. What I found quite ironic that even though it had been a cold, wet day in the Washington, there were eight customers in the store. The customers consist of 3 young asians, a Caucasian woman (holding her black "Prada" handbag), a Caucasian couple, and a very tall Caucasian man wearing a "Burberry raincoat" along with his "Burberry scarf", whom came into the empty store right after me, and of course ME, a BLACK customer! I noticed that the attention was directed to the "WHITES" I remember an Asian employee took care of the tall customer whom came in after me telling him and stated "how beautiful" his scarf was. If she can be of any assistance to him, then she could have assisted me as well. I also remember the Asian employee and her associates going around asking the few customers if they needed any assistance.   I felt completely neglected.  

God has blessed me with my skin tone color, that doesn't means that I cannot afford a pair of $250.00 weather boots. It is sad that we are still living in word where we still are judge due to skin color and not for our character. Actions speak louder than words and the actions or lack of action I experienced today were appalling.

In conclusion, I was highly upset with the service I received yesterday’s afternoon. Weather the lack of service was discrimination or just lack of caring about customers it was left a very sour taste in my month in returning again. Burberry is a prestigious and elite designer that prides its self on its brand and the people that represent the brand throughout the world.

I know very well that the company the overall would be happy to learn that a customers had a bad experience trying to support the brand.

Thank you for your time

tired.gif

Now before i start this thread, Im not trying to pull the race card.. start drama, all my mother wants is a simple apology... 
This is what my mother sent Burberry.. The story is included..

What would you do NT?

EDIT: I know the letter isn't grammatically correct. English isn't her first language.. 
ohwell.gif

November 17[sup]th[/sup], 2010

To Whom It May Concern:

Yesterday around 3:10 pm I went to the Burberry store located on 1155 Connecticut Ave Washington, DC in search of a pair of rain boots to match my Burberry umbrella.  I could have purchased my boots over the Internet, or perhaps even call husband’s family whom all live in England to send me a pair, but I did not. I desired to go to the store in person in order to appreciate the quality, the material and colors of the weather boots.

The need for the weather boots was vital since rain has been announced for the rest of the week in the Nation’s Capitol. My excitement shortly ended and turned into a huge disappointment. I considered myself a smart, sophisticated and elegant forty-nine year old woman.  

As I entered the store, I was not greeted or welcome and was completely ignored for about roughly fifteen minutes. What I found quite ironic that even though it had been a cold, wet day in the Washington, there were eight customers in the store. The customers consist of 3 young asians, a Caucasian woman (holding her black "Prada" handbag), a Caucasian couple, and a very tall Caucasian man wearing a "Burberry raincoat" along with his "Burberry scarf", whom came into the empty store right after me, and of course ME, a BLACK customer! I noticed that the attention was directed to the "WHITES" I remember an Asian employee took care of the tall customer whom came in after me telling him and stated "how beautiful" his scarf was. If she can be of any assistance to him, then she could have assisted me as well. I also remember the Asian employee and her associates going around asking the few customers if they needed any assistance.   I felt completely neglected.  

God has blessed me with my skin tone color, that doesn't means that I cannot afford a pair of $250.00 weather boots. It is sad that we are still living in word where we still are judge due to skin color and not for our character. Actions speak louder than words and the actions or lack of action I experienced today were appalling.

In conclusion, I was highly upset with the service I received yesterday’s afternoon. Weather the lack of service was discrimination or just lack of caring about customers it was left a very sour taste in my month in returning again. Burberry is a prestigious and elite designer that prides its self on its brand and the people that represent the brand throughout the world.

I know very well that the company the overall would be happy to learn that a customers had a bad experience trying to support the brand.

Thank you for your time

tired.gif

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

Originally Posted by Durden7

What does she want an apology for?

Seems like shes looking too far into this.
I think she wants an apology for the lack of attention she received from the burberry employees. She was in there ready to spend money like everyone else, she should have received the same service. 
I can understand that, but at the same time if she needed something she should have went to one of them and asked for help.

If she wants an apology for being ignored, that's fine but I really don't think it had anything to do with her race.

It's inconsiderate and bad business, not racism.

I considered myself a smart, sophisticated and elegant forty-nine year old woman.  

Weather the lack of service was discrimination or just lack of caring about customers it was left a very sour taste in my month in returning again.
Misspelled/Grammar.

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

What does she want an apology for?

Seems like shes looking too far into this.
I think she wants an apology for the lack of attention she received from the burberry employees. She was in there ready to spend money like everyone else, she should have received the same service. 
I can understand that, but at the same time if she needed something she should have went to one of them and asked for help.

If she wants an apology for being ignored, that's fine but I really don't think it had anything to do with her race.

I considered myself a smart, sophisticated and elegant forty-nine year old woman.  

Weather the lack of service was discrimination or just lack of caring about customers it was left a very sour taste in my month in returning again.
Misspelled/Grammar.

This.

If I asked for help and was ignored, there'd be a problem...This wasn't the case.

This.

If I asked for help and was ignored, there'd be a problem...This wasn't the case.

Why would you let her send a grammatically incorrect letter? wouldn't that just reaffirm stuff?
She actin like this is the FIRST time this ever happened to her.

Why would you let her send a grammatically incorrect letter? wouldn't that just reaffirm stuff?
She actin like this is the FIRST time this ever happened to her.

frown.gif
Maybe she genuinely likes Burberry products? She can get her point across and possibly be rewarded for speaking out (not implying that's her motive). This discussion would be moot if this was her first visit/experience with Burberry. Was it? 

frown.gif
Maybe she genuinely likes Burberry products? She can get her point across and possibly be rewarded for speaking out (not implying that's her motive). This discussion would be moot if this was her first visit/experience with Burberry. Was it? 

Damn dudes is cold blooded everyone should be treated as a potential customer. But they will just say sorry here spend your money on us. Its a lose lose situation. Tell your mom to not shop there anymore and spread the word they are racist that is the only way you can actually make a difference. Spread the word, twitter it, facebook it, these companies pay attention to that.

Damn dudes is cold blooded everyone should be treated as a potential customer. But they will just say sorry here spend your money on us. Its a lose lose situation. Tell your mom to not shop there anymore and spread the word they are racist that is the only way you can actually make a difference. Spread the word, twitter it, facebook it, these companies pay attention to that.

Unfortunately, OP, as passionate as your mom's letter was (and she is right, they had no right to discriminate against her), I don't think she'll get an apology.  It has nothing to do with grammar and spelling, and everything to do with how a lot of these high end companies deal with complaints for the most part. She is likely one of many women/men who have written in about feeling discriminated against.

Unfortunately, OP, as passionate as your mom's letter was (and she is right, they had no right to discriminate against her), I don't think she'll get an apology.  It has nothing to do with grammar and spelling, and everything to do with how a lot of these high end companies deal with complaints for the most part. She is likely one of many women/men who have written in about feeling discriminated against.

Back
Top Bottom