Racism at Burberry? (Serious Advice, and opinions)

Here's what I did. I was in Men's Warehouse a couple years ago. I walked in, it was a few customers in there, about 4-5. I was in the store for a half hour, walked by plenty of sales associates and they wouldn't even speak to me. It got to the point where I was intentionally walking past sales people and looking at/grabbing clothes just to see if they would just acknowledge me. I had a couple pairs of pants in my hand that I had planned on buying, I took them to the register, the guy at the register spoke and I said "you're the first person to speak to me and I've been in here for 30 minutes" and put the clothes on the counter and left.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

What does she want an apology for?

Seems like shes looking too far into this.
I think she wants an apology for the lack of attention she received from the burberry employees. She was in there ready to spend money like everyone else, she should have received the same service. 
I can understand that, but at the same time if she needed something she should have went to one of them and asked for help.

If she wants an apology for being ignored, that's fine but I really don't think it had anything to do with her race.

It's inconsiderate and bad business, not racism.
Maybe you're right... But according to her letter, the employees went to the other customers and asked them if they needed help. Why couldn't they do the same for her? I find it strange that every employee just happened to be inconsiderate towards her, but so quick to help the other customers walking in. 

Here's what I did. I was in Men's Warehouse a couple years ago. I walked in, it was a few customers in there, about 4-5. I was in the store for a half hour, walked by plenty of sales associates and they wouldn't even speak to me. It got to the point where I was intentionally walking past sales people and looking at/grabbing clothes just to see if they would just acknowledge me. I had a couple pairs of pants in my hand that I had planned on buying, I took them to the register, the guy at the register spoke and I said "you're the first person to speak to me and I've been in here for 30 minutes" and put the clothes on the counter and left.

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

What does she want an apology for?

Seems like shes looking too far into this.
I think she wants an apology for the lack of attention she received from the burberry employees. She was in there ready to spend money like everyone else, she should have received the same service. 
I can understand that, but at the same time if she needed something she should have went to one of them and asked for help.

If she wants an apology for being ignored, that's fine but I really don't think it had anything to do with her race.

It's inconsiderate and bad business, not racism.
Maybe you're right... But according to her letter, the employees went to the other customers and asked them if they needed help. Why couldn't they do the same for her? I find it strange that every employee just happened to be inconsiderate towards her, but so quick to help the other customers walking in. 

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

why did your mom waste her time w. the letter? If anything, she should have taken her $ elsewhere and bought rainboots from another retailer.
Companies like it when you complain. It gives them a chance "to make it up" to you instead of just outright losing the customer. She might get something out of this but she used weather instead of whether so I'm feeling doubtful now. 
frown.gif
Well, she could have written the letter and stated that she won't be shopping at Burberry for the way that she felt she was treated.  That way 1) Burberry loses a customer 2) she gets her point across
Maybe she genuinely likes Burberry products? She can get her point across and possibly be rewarded for speaking out (not implying that's her motive). This discussion would be moot if this was her first visit/experience with Burberry. Was it? 
if you felt like you were disrespected in a Burberry store due to your race, I would think you'd have a hard time putting your money back in the pocket of that same company.  Maybe it's just me *shrug*

**not saying that what happened to her was racist, but rather trying to see things from her POV.....

why did your mom waste her time w. the letter? If anything, she should have taken her $ elsewhere and bought rainboots from another retailer.
Companies like it when you complain. It gives them a chance "to make it up" to you instead of just outright losing the customer. She might get something out of this but she used weather instead of whether so I'm feeling doubtful now. 
frown.gif
Well, she could have written the letter and stated that she won't be shopping at Burberry for the way that she felt she was treated.  That way 1) Burberry loses a customer 2) she gets her point across
Maybe she genuinely likes Burberry products? She can get her point across and possibly be rewarded for speaking out (not implying that's her motive). This discussion would be moot if this was her first visit/experience with Burberry. Was it? 
if you felt like you were disrespected in a Burberry store due to your race, I would think you'd have a hard time putting your money back in the pocket of that same company.  Maybe it's just me *shrug*

**not saying that what happened to her was racist, but rather trying to see things from her POV.....

frown.gif

This goes back to my point on whether (correct usage) or not this was her first experience with Burberry. If it wasn't, I can see why she isn't a lost customer yet. 

edit= Youngwill confirmed my suspicions. 
happy.gif

frown.gif
She spends atleast 1k a month there.. which isn't much i know.. but still 1k she WAS putting in there pockets.. this was a new burberry store she had never been too.. 

frown.gif
She spends atleast 1k a month there.. which isn't much i know.. but still 1k she WAS putting in there pockets.. this was a new burberry store she had never been too.. 

frown.gif

This goes back to my point on whether (correct usage) or not this was her first experience with Burberry. If it wasn't, I can see why she isn't a lost customer yet. 

edit= Youngwill confirmed my suspicions. 
happy.gif

eh i dont think it was serious enough to send a letter. She's the one that chose to go to burberry for boots

eh i dont think it was serious enough to send a letter. She's the one that chose to go to burberry for boots

laugh.gif
@ cguy.
I mean i've been there before and I just walked the *$%@ out and never returned to the store.I was treated HORRIBLY at an Apple store a few years ago (i'm not talking about being ignored either) and since that day I just don't step foot/spend money in THAT particular Apple store (I don't really see that particular female's behavior as a direct reflection of the company as a whole... . .unless someone knows something that I don't).

laugh.gif
@ cguy.
I mean i've been there before and I just walked the *$%@ out and never returned to the store.I was treated HORRIBLY at an Apple store a few years ago (i'm not talking about being ignored either) and since that day I just don't step foot/spend money in THAT particular Apple store (I don't really see that particular female's behavior as a direct reflection of the company as a whole... . .unless someone knows something that I don't).

laugh.gif
i should start a thread about acts of prejudice/racism at designer stores. your mother'll be aight, man.. tell her to take it as a reality check.

my father and i were going into Comme Des Garcons in NYC once and i walked in first because he was searching his car for something. there was a little white lady at the door and she greeted me with no type of emotion, but i didn't think anything of it. my father walks in two minutes later and she asks him, "are you picking up?" implying that he's a delivery man or some %*#!. my father hit her with the Cam face and told her, "no," and she started apologizing.. probably trying to save her %%%.

i was talking to the one black employee there about some gear (dude had on a skirt, too
laugh.gif
) and i ended up telling him what happened with the lady and my father, and his answer was, "don't even worry about that. she's another stupid white girl.. you feel me?"

guilt-induced discounts ftw

I went to Brooks Brothers the other day

Employee – How’s it going?  
Me- Great how about your self?  

Employees – I’m keeping in it real?
Me -
grin.gif
eyes.gif
mad.gif

Me- Let me speak to your manager
Employee -
embarassed.gif
frown.gif

I went to Brooks Brothers the other day

Employee – How’s it going?  
Me- Great how about your self?  

Employees – I’m keeping in it real?
Me -
grin.gif
eyes.gif
mad.gif

Me- Let me speak to your manager
Employee -
embarassed.gif
frown.gif

laugh.gif
i should start a thread about acts of prejudice/racism at designer stores. your mother'll be aight, man.. tell her to take it as a reality check.

my father and i were going into Comme Des Garcons in NYC once and i walked in first because he was searching his car for something. there was a little white lady at the door and she greeted me with no type of emotion, but i didn't think anything of it. my father walks in two minutes later and she asks him, "are you picking up?" implying that he's a delivery man or some %*#!. my father hit her with the Cam face and told her, "no," and she started apologizing.. probably trying to save her %%%.

i was talking to the one black employee there about some gear (dude had on a skirt, too
laugh.gif
) and i ended up telling him what happened with the lady and my father, and his answer was, "don't even worry about that. she's another stupid white girl.. you feel me?"

guilt-induced discounts ftw

racism or not, shopping while black is one of the most awkward experiences ever. sometimes it's paranoia and self-imposed, other times it may be real racism. When they follow you around and come to you to ask you questions=them being racist by paying too much attention. When they ignore you=racism by them not giving you service. We can't win.
laugh.gif

racism or not, shopping while black is one of the most awkward experiences ever. sometimes it's paranoia and self-imposed, other times it may be real racism. When they follow you around and come to you to ask you questions=them being racist by paying too much attention. When they ignore you=racism by them not giving you service. We can't win.
laugh.gif

To be honest, it's far too wordy and has way too much unnecessary information to be taken seriously.

To whom it may concern,

Upon entering your store on 1155 Connecticut Ave Washington, DC I found to my surprise that I was completely ignored by your staff, while others that did not share my black skin tone received service promptly. I felt as though, because I am black, I was treated as a lower class shopper, incapable of making a real purchase. As a 49 year old woman, I like to think that I am capable of accurately sensing prejudice by now. The situation made me feel marginalized and stereotyped.

Something like that would be more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom