Serious Discusssion (Paging ABH, Illionaire, NostrandAve, Ben Baller):The State of Hip Hop Music

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Artist development is dead. Labels want their artists to already be pre-packaged and ready to be released so they only have to do 50% of the work and make almost 100% of the profit. You have to have a built-in buzz, fanbase, a healthy catalog of material, and potential hit singles already on stash before they'll even look at you.
That's a bad look my dude, so let me ask you this.

Why bother with rap though? I mean, I know you (and basically all rappers for that matter) love rap but when you see the business side of things why bother getting involved? Especially as a new artist.

To me that's like saying "okay Ms. Johnson you live in South Central LA and its a 1 out of 3 chance you will not see your son turn 25 due to eitherviolence or jail so why do you even want to have a kid"

but I feel you
tired.gif

I always wonder to myself, hip hop is BIGGER now then its EVER been, the influence is EVERYwhere, from clothes to comercials. So how, at a peak as far as"popularity" goes can the genre ONLY produce maybe 3 or 4 multi-platinum releases a year (IF that)?? I mean Wayne is AS big as ANY rapper has been,son just won 4 Grammys, he's in Gaterode comercials on ESPN, and Nickleback (I couldnt ID one member of this band) sold DOUBLE the units, Carrie Underwood,Taylor Swift a few others, so what is it that would make a computer owning Nickleback fan walk into Best Buy and buy their +%%% (and or legally download it),but the hip hop generation would rather ilegally download some +%%% . . .

I mean MTV has what, 1 or 2 video shows, BET has 2 EVERYthing else is reality shows and re-runs of +%%%. But you turn to the Country Music channel and theyplay videos ALL day, that got 3 or 4 GOD awful stations in EVERY market, so what is it that their doing to make someone want to legally obtain CarrieUnderwood, but the hip hop generation won't go out and buy someone like Mariah Carey +%%%??

Its basically time to DESTROY & Rebuild the structure of urban music and the way its marketed to the world. Artists have to take back control, makethemselves accessible to the fans, interact, the whole 9. Their needs to be MAJOR tours again, I remeber back when there would be 5 or 6 shows to go to a year. . . Like MUST see type +%%%, not no "I'm goin cause my girl wanna go" type concert. Hip hop needs to return to that. Labels need to get a NEWteam of execs in there, and the A&R NEEDS to become important again, the right guys need to get with the right artists and be able to create a productunique but at the same time marketable . . .

Ninjas gotta realize EVERYone is not meant to be on a MAJOR . . . I mean speaking from an east coast perspective, a life long hip hop fan, and an up and comingartist myself, WE have to take back control of OUR product. I mean you can pick ANY east coast dude and theres someone from the south that has accomplishedhalf of what he has, but is twice as successful because they were business minded first. We've become to reliant on a MAJOR label, we gotta build our brandthrough the web and make the label desperate to become part of OUR movement, its always been the other way around, but now its almost reached its end . . . Itsso odd to see an culture be so releavant but have the music the spearheaded the culture struggle . . . Its just mind bogglin . . .

[color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]a lot of great point being made in here ... and I agree ... I love the direction thathip-hop is going in but I hate the direction it is going in.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]I completely agree that broadband is killing and degenerate the genre. We live in the ageof instant gratification and with albums being only a click and ten minute download away. At what point will the cd become obsolete ? What will be the newformat ? With so much "free" music out there how are the labels and artist going to get paid ? As stated it's all about building a brand. Ihave the propensity to only purchase albums from artists that I feel a connection with. Similar to how some ppl only wear Nike or drink Coke ... brandloyalty.[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]And with this influx of new artist, what happens if they don't succeed ? I beenreppin' Wale, Drake, Blu and a lot of the new wave of artists heavy for the longest. And they are getting the exposure through print and the internet byputting out good music but when the time comes if they don't sell as expected what happens ? I thnk Wale and Drake's albums are going to be thebarometers that we gauge the direction WE are going in. Hopefully these guys can do[/color] [color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]decent[/color] [color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]numbers and (like K said) the artists take notice and don't feel pressure to make[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]this[/color] [color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]song or[/color] [color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]that[/color] [color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]song and begin making music that is true to themselves. I'm optimistic but it all just seems likewishful thinking to me now.[/color]

youngjordan23 wrote:

This is exactly what i'm talking about. This theory worked for years but look where it has gotten new artist today nowhere these artist are doing the same old things over and over and finally the fans are starting to say it's been done before and much betta. This is why i supported Kanye's last album, Did i think it was good( Not really) but it's single handedly the most important hiphop album in years. This album showed that people are open to new sounds in hiphop, that this culture is willing to accept more than drug, money, and women talk. Kanye made a statement with this album saying "THIS IS ME" F Sales, F wat fans think, IT"S MY MUSIC and this is what i wanna do and it worked

Don't you think though in order for an artist to do this he needs his loyal fan base if Kanye were to have come out with this album as a noname without any history of success would anyone be respecting it? I still think the mass want processed ready for consumption product and record companiesjust want to push whats ready to sell, something with low financial risk and in turn high return. Look at the history of albums with high sales no matter whatgenre groups like nsync sold like crazy groups like them did also in the boom of TRL, then albums that people would consider good music was followed by hardcore fans.

I still think you need to build that hard core fan base that will ride with you and accept you no matter what, look at old groups like the rolling stones orbruce springsteen they can come out with an album of whatever next month and their fans will buy. They can announce a tour tomorrow and it will be sold outat some spots by the end of the week because the fans relate think they know them, grew up with them, helped them out through drama in life. If you can buildthat loyalty you will get staying power even if you come out with a garbage album because you are trying to experiment your loyal fans will give you a pass.

As far rap right now a lot of these new acts are good but no one knows how many are real and how many are just following a trend trying to be different,technically being an internet rapper is todays fad. Putting out mixtapes once a month or more just pushing product trying to stay in peoples mind and stickbut how many do you think will, whoever builds up enough fans to where a label believes the artist did the grunt work and all they need is a big marketing pushto get them over the edge. Not to single anyone out but let's say Wale I'm out in Vegas and I know dudes from DC living here that swear by his musiccause thats original hometeam music somebody repping for them, whereas NY or Cali rappers there are a lot of established ones so its harder to build thatnitche audience cause look at the long list of artist from NY or Cali. If you are from a big well known place its harder to shine because theres a long listof cats before you that people compare you to. Another example is Trick Daddy or Rick Ross down in Miami people from Miami will buy because thats who theyrelate to. If you work hard separate yourself and show you are not the same as the next or the prior people will like and follow you. Right now its the timehard workers will separate from the cookie cutters.

end rant

you guys all complain that the everyone's doing the same thing,

yet I make a Puffy/badboy ruined hip hop statement and everyone get's quiet.

imma take it old school...
SUCKASSSS!

Jewels is right on the money with the gorilla marketing. Look at Tech 9 for example. I ain't never seen him on TV or heard him on the radio but he clearing1 mill and selling out shows like nothing. He built his brand up by putting out his product his way and gaining a following of fans who enjoy it.

To much BS. To many labels scrambling to make their top artist the next one to blow(Charles Hamilton) when they are not really ready. It's hard to meetpeople, I"m an aspiring MC and I can't afford no beat and I can't meet no people. I need work but no one is giving me the time of day because Idon't have a single, I have some freestyles that are ill, but that is not enough. You can't pull a biggie now adays you can't pull a Beans, youhave to be well established before anyone will even mess with you....how backwards does that sound? I can't blame them, there is to much trash and a lot oflabels are seeing hip hop as a dying fad, and want to make a quick buck before it goes down the drain. They look at hip-hop and see $$$ instead of seeingtalent and passion.

Yea What i'm getting at is that artist nowadays should be trying to make the music they wanna make instead of following the current trends becausethere seems to be little success either way. Example Jadakiss - i could almost guarantee that his album is gonna soundvery similar to his first two efforts, Some commercial songs, some street stuff and end result is another decent album which either way isn't gonna do bignumbers.

At this point in his career why would Def Jam sit here and try to hold jada back creatively and make him throw out a single like "By MY Side"instead of letting him make the best music he possibly can. Him releasing weak tracks like that are hurting them more than helping, Because it waters down thealbum. Jada is gonna do somewhere around 400-500 k no matter how big his single is. So stop trying to turn him into 50 and let him do wat he's best at. Atthis point Jada Droppin a "Great" album will help him a lot more than him dropping a decent album with a whole bunch of cookie cutter radio attemptsbecause either way he's not gonna sell a lot of records

[color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]I thnk Wale and Drake's albums are going to be the barometers that we gauge the direction WE are going in[/color]
true....i just think that that might also work against fans and ultimately album sales. Like how many times have we heard artist release a !+@load of mixtapes, then when you by the album it's mad generic and then you're like "I dunno why I bought this for...weed plate!!"
So how, at a peak as far as "popularity" goes can the genre ONLY produce maybe 3 or 4 multi-platinum releases a year (IF that)??

Those artists know how to create an environment for themselves where they're the epicenter of it all. honestly, it's economics...cuz whenDef Jam had !+@ on lock circa the HKL tour, it was basically Jay-z, Ja and X. and then like Red, Meth, and whoever else. It got so nuts, Hov boycotted theGrammys that year because there wasnt enough hip hop acts being represented.
I mean you can pick ANY east coast dude and theres someone from the south that has accomplished half of what he has, but is twice as successful because they were business minded first

true story. That's what made the Diplomats what they were in their peak because they took it to the grassroots efforts. Them southern cats gettheir hustle on HEAVY. One thing about Mickey Factz is..that dude is accessible and cool in person. He's all over Soho, LES and Williamsburg. I chopped itup with him twice and he was cool both times. You gotta make yourself a people person and show enough charisma for me to buy your album b.
Artists have to take back control, make themselves accessible to the fans, interact, the whole 9. Their needs to be MAJOR tours again, I remeber back when there would be 5 or 6 shows to go to a year . . . Like MUST see type +%%%, not no "I'm goin cause my girl wanna go" type concert. Hip hop needs to return to that. Labels need to get a NEW team of execs in there, and the A&R NEEDS to become important again, the right guys need to get with the right artists and be able to create a product unique but at the same time marketable . . .
I dunno what part of the game half these A&Rs are on. I always say that A&R is the backbone of a label because they always need artists tostay afloat and relelvant, esp when we can always click online and do everything ourselves. The most credible A&R i can think of urban wise is Lenny S andthat was because of the strength of the Roc. Sickamore "discovered" Saigon but duke isnt a impact player

Also, the points my dude made about print being near extinct is true. Look @ last year's top 10 new cats on XXL. besides Lupe, Crooked and Dro even(
grin.gif
grin.gif
) who else is an mini-impact player (
laugh.gif
)? That's what a lotta new artists aint getting sales...because the hype iswack. I remember the backlash when Drake didnt make the XXL cover. Ace Hood only sold 50K...are they serious putting him on the cover?
I still think you need to build that hard core fan base that will ride with you and accept you no matter what, look at old groups like the rolling stones or bruce springsteen they can come out with an album of whatever next month and their fans will buy. They can announce a tour tomorrow and it will be sold out at some spots by the end of the week because the fans relate think they know them, grew up with them, helped them out through drama in life. If you can build that loyalty you will get staying power even if you come out with a garbage album because you are trying to experiment your loyal fans will give you a pass.

I 2 I my dude.
Yea What i'm getting at is that artist nowadays should be trying to make the music they wanna make instead of following the current trends because there seems to be little success either way. Example Jadakiss - i could almost guarantee that his album is gonna sound very similar to his first two efforts, Some commercial songs, some street stuff and end result is another decent album which either way isn't gonna do big numbers.

At this point in his career why would Def Jam sit here and try to hold jada back creatively and make him throw out a single like "By MY Side" instead of letting him make the best music he possibly can. Him releasing weak tracks like that are hurting them more than helping, Because it waters down the album. Jada is gonna do somewhere around 400-500 k no matter how big his single is. So stop trying to turn him into 50 and let him do wat he's best at. At this point Jada Droppin a "Great" album will help him a lot more than him dropping a decent album with a whole bunch of cookie cutter radio attempts because either way he's not gonna sell a lot of records
exactly. then wanna push the date because the singles aint generating no buzz when they shoulda let him just do him and take that risk. He gnnaend up @ like 300K either way.....bank on that.

Just as Soul, Rock n' Roll had it's heyday so had Hip-Hop. Excellence in mainstream forms of music doesn't last long. I think music as a wholeheaded for a 180 and it will be more about the music and less about the buissness aspect which hopefully means better music.

I feel like the net has killed part of the vision and creativity of hip hop. I mean how many youtube/WSHH videos are just about random bull %#%!? That'snot to say those videos can't be entertaining, hell I check WSHH on the daily. I just feel that a computer can get you all kinds of information that youcan apply to music. I believe artists should take advantage of resources.

I also feel that the independent game should grow. Labels are losing their grip on the game.

One thing about Mickey Factz is..that dude is accessible and cool in person. He's all over Soho, LES and Williamsburg. I chopped it up with him twice and he was cool both times. You gotta make yourself a people person and show enough charisma for me to buy your album b
yea i chopped it up with lupe once..#%%$%@ was walkin by like
eek.gif
..woah is lupe jus posted
roll.gif
it makes a diff if ppl can see u in adiff light

also feel that the independent game should grow. Labels are losing their grip on the game.
it will grow..and i say this with a grain of salt..but i think the next new crop of rappers will all be "underground" the typical rappermaturation process will cease to exist..that ushering in a new guard is dead..like seeing a cat build a buzz, then open for another big time artist..then gethis shot..it just wont happen like that anymore..and we have to accept it.

its bad for those that are under a major label and dont know how to use the internet, but it is an unsigned rappers dream, because it evens the playing fieldsomewhat

Some of these rappers including myself would never be known if it wasnt for the internet, not that we bad, but didnt have the resources

You can blame the internet, but dont forget about the greedy businessman @ Digidesign and Sony and M-Audio - who make home recording and studio'saffordable

Back when i first started rapping, it took near 50,000 just to have an entry level studio - now 1,000 gets you everything you need
Why is that significant, well now you have people dropping out of school, or dope boys making music from home and distributing it to the streets in a week,getting the buzz that you need to get noticed by the labels, and to take it a step further - Labels see a dumb dope boy has a buzz, but no business sense, sowe sign him and make money - killing the game by flooding the industry with millions of clones

Its all a plan in my eyes - they think this over and they know exactly what to do

Music isnt going anywhere, the money you can get from doing it will change and the big stars will change, there will be alot of regional stars, but not so manysuperstars

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

[color= rgb(153, 153, 255)]I thnk Wale and Drake's albums are going to be the barometers that we gauge the direction WE are going in[/color]
true....i just think that that might also work against fans and ultimately album sales. Like how many times have we heard artist release a !+@ load of mixtapes, then when you by the album it's mad generic and then you're like "I dunno why I bought this for...weed plate!!"
So how, at a peak as far as "popularity" goes can the genre ONLY produce maybe 3 or 4 multi-platinum releases a year (IF that)??

Those artists know how to create an environment for themselves where they're the epicenter of it all. honestly, it's economics...cuz when Def Jam had !+@ on lock circa the HKL tour, it was basically Jay-z, Ja and X. and then like Red, Meth, and whoever else. It got so nuts, Hov boycotted the Grammys that year because there wasnt enough hip hop acts being represented.
I mean you can pick ANY east coast dude and theres someone from the south that has accomplished half of what he has, but is twice as successful because they were business minded first

true story. That's what made the Diplomats what they were in their peak because they took it to the grassroots efforts. Them southern cats get their hustle on HEAVY. One thing about Mickey Factz is..that dude is accessible and cool in person. He's all over Soho, LES and Williamsburg. I chopped it up with him twice and he was cool both times. You gotta make yourself a people person and show enough charisma for me to buy your album b.
Artists have to take back control, make themselves accessible to the fans, interact, the whole 9. Their needs to be MAJOR tours again, I remeber back when there would be 5 or 6 shows to go to a year . . . Like MUST see type +%%%, not no "I'm goin cause my girl wanna go" type concert. Hip hop needs to return to that. Labels need to get a NEW team of execs in there, and the A&R NEEDS to become important again, the right guys need to get with the right artists and be able to create a product unique but at the same time marketable . . .
I dunno what part of the game half these A&Rs are on. I always say that A&R is the backbone of a label because they always need artists to stay afloat and relelvant, esp when we can always click online and do everything ourselves. The most credible A&R i can think of urban wise is Lenny S and that was because of the strength of the Roc. Sickamore "discovered" Saigon but duke isnt a impact player

Also, the points my dude made about print being near extinct is true. Look @ last year's top 10 new cats on XXL. besides Lupe, Crooked and Dro even (
grin.gif
grin.gif
) who else is an mini-impact player (
laugh.gif
)? That's what a lotta new artists aint getting sales...because the hype is wack. I remember the backlash when Drake didnt make the XXL cover. Ace Hood only sold 50K...are they serious putting him on the cover?
I still think you need to build that hard core fan base that will ride with you and accept you no matter what, look at old groups like the rolling stones or bruce springsteen they can come out with an album of whatever next month and their fans will buy. They can announce a tour tomorrow and it will be sold out at some spots by the end of the week because the fans relate think they know them, grew up with them, helped them out through drama in life. If you can build that loyalty you will get staying power even if you come out with a garbage album because you are trying to experiment your loyal fans will give you a pass.

I 2 I my dude.
Yea What i'm getting at is that artist nowadays should be trying to make the music they wanna make instead of following the current trends because there seems to be little success either way. Example Jadakiss - i could almost guarantee that his album is gonna sound very similar to his first two efforts, Some commercial songs, some street stuff and end result is another decent album which either way isn't gonna do big numbers.

At this point in his career why would Def Jam sit here and try to hold jada back creatively and make him throw out a single like "By MY Side" instead of letting him make the best music he possibly can. Him releasing weak tracks like that are hurting them more than helping, Because it waters down the album. Jada is gonna do somewhere around 400-500 k no matter how big his single is. So stop trying to turn him into 50 and let him do wat he's best at. At this point Jada Droppin a "Great" album will help him a lot more than him dropping a decent album with a whole bunch of cookie cutter radio attempts because either way he's not gonna sell a lot of records
exactly. then wanna push the date because the singles aint generating no buzz when they shoulda let him just do him and take that risk. He gnna end up @ like 300K either way.....bank on that.

QFT

Now as an A&R for Def Jam why wouldn't u tell jada to make the best album possible. Tell him to get in dat studio F the "Blueprint" and jusmake music to the best of his ability It could very well Become a classic Album
eek.gif
. The fact that Jada dropped a great album would generate more buzz then him having a #1 Single ever would.

I don't Know what people in music don't get about good music generates a good buzz(Check Lupe Fiasco)

good read so far in this thread

Nobody making great albums to the best of their ability. Emphasis on the word THEIR. having Lil Wayne,Ye',T-pain,R.Kelly, Jay, insert hot artist of themonth, insert hot female artists, not only eats up finances,it never really gives the artist time to shine. New artists should have 2 guest artist max, proveto the people you got "it" on a minimum budget.

If i'm not mistaken Jay made volume 2 on a 300k budget, hell Thriller had a little more than a half million budget, so its not like a label needs to calltheir Federal Reserve connects just to make the artists big.

Use the model Barack Obama used: grassroots
pimp.gif

Why bother with rap though? I mean, I know you (and basically all rappers for that matter) love rap but when you see the business side of things why bother getting involved? Especially as a new artist.
Because unlike a lot of dudes, I'm one of the few who want in for the right reasons.

Besides the obvious financial rewards and what have you, I truly want to be the best at my craft. And I want recognition for my skill.

In the NBA, You have dudes who are just content to sit on the bench and be journeymen, While making 500k a year to wear warmups all season. They're makingmore than some doctors and lawyers just to sit down. Then you have the guys that want to win, And want to be the best. The guys that go to the gym and shoothundreds of jumpers without being asked to, The guys who work out all summer until October hits.

Yea, The business aspect is discouraging, But like Dom said, Why should that defer my dreams/goals? I'm maintaining optimism and faith that things willbecome more beneficial for artists like myself, While still having a backup plan and not putting all of my eggs in one basket. But I truly love Hip-Hop. A lotof N's don't want it as bad me, They just think they do.

good and bad.
some great artists are business illiterate.
we want artists, not businessmen.
with that attitude Fat Joe and Puff are some of the best rappers
ohwell.gif

Yea, I don't mean rappers should be the sole businessmen in charge of their careers, But I think the old archetype of the Big RecordLabel/Machine needs to die, And a new system that's more artist friendly (creatively and financially) needs to emerge. Time for a regime change.

I'm always online studying viral/guerilla marketing, Trying to figure out different and innovative ways to build my brand and market myself, Because I can't sit around and wait for somebody to do it for me.
what sites are good for info?
No particular websites, But I've been studying moves and trying to see how I can apply them to an artist-oriented business model.

For example, I don't know if you noticed, But look how The Dark Knight and Halo 2 were virally marketed...Look at how the Watchmen movie is being marketed. They're outsourcing thesecompanies to build underground buzz for their films.

I want to be the first artist to market myself in that same fashion. Do something creative and interesting to get people involved and excited.

^ Cuz A&R`s aren't the same anymore . A&R`s used to be real industry heads that were actually involved in the culture and music . Nowadays youhave some random college grad that doesn't know anything about the music and it`s history, controlling your career . This game has pushed away alot ofthe trendsetters and basically made it into a crap shoot (hot or not after ONE song) . Grass root movements are gone , college radio is no longer a barometer. The DJ is controlled by big business aswell-you HAVE to saturate the airwaves with the same songs over and over because your programming director and radiostation is being fed cash by these labels .

Most young kids don't look up to the breakdancer , graffiti artist , beat boxer , writers, authors , photographers , the true pioneers anymore ... thiswas all esssential into forming cats style and respecting the artform . Then you have the newer generation of artists and fans that suffer from a lack oforginality and creativity . They are sold on facades , dictate their entire style by what is "cool" on the internet (look on NT...everyone looks thesame , tries to speak the same , jock eachothers steez). People stopped living , kids stopped playing on their blocks , expericing things for themselves .Individualism is no longer admired , people rather pay attention to all these Blog sites that have further turned things into soap operas and controversy , sothey can get clicks and recieve that advertising money . Hip Hop used to speak to the people , it was an instrument of struggle , poverty , expression , avoice of the inner city . It used to question the fakeness around us , now it is the fakness that is us. The question remains though , when will people stopbuying into these gimmicks ?. There used to be a line where once it was crossed , you were gone . Now it`s accepted to sell your soul , all these youngerpeople need to stop buying into the hype . This ALL has affected the music , people keep waiting for it to turn around BUT Vinyl is dying , graf is corporate ,Freestyling is done , MPC`s are forgein objects , Record diggin is dead , Scratching , mixing , and blends ? What are those ...

This is way too complicated a topic to type on. Word to carpal tunnel. I'd almost rather set up a conference call for everyone.

There are some great things being said in here. Progressive. Moreso because I'm always intrigued at how tech savvy heads view the future.

I'm just not sure it's all practical right now. And a lot of it is easier said than done.

I'm in my decompression stage after a very long day. So this may not be a linear thought but.....

I don't think you can blame the labels, or the artists, or the consumer. Because it's everyone's fault. I hear a lot of cats on here talking aboutwhat labels are doing wrong and this and that. I sure hope you've worked at one so you know what you're talking about.

You need to be realistic. People who make music, it's still a job. So the music you hear is inherently tied to the business. People need to survive. Soeven with all that youtube, myspace, facebook etc., something has to monetize for you to continue to survive as an artist. Which is why artists still want that"record deal".

Even the TI, Waynes, Nas, Outkast etc. were at their peak making female friendly Pop records that crossed over.

You've also got a gang of dudes in here talking business and music. When the female is the core consumer on a large scale. That is a startling reality asan artist when you need to monetize your music. Hip Hop has clearly moved in that direction.

Just as a fan, from a cultural standpoint, I don't see timelessness in current Hip Hop music. I'm not sure what that record that cats will be listeningto in 20 years is. Is it Lollipop? Is it Whatever You Like? I could maybe see "Live Your Life". Did the Diplomats make a timeless record? Did 50?Maybe In The Club? Did Boosie?

I feel like when I was a kid, all the singles became timeless. The Eric + Ra joints, the PE joints, the BDP joints. Maybe that's just my perception. But Ilisten to those artists, and older R+B. Timeless %!%%.

And even as we're questioning artistry, who among us would have signed Soulja Boy? Musically, no one. But he in an enormously popular and profitableartist. That's why they sign so much. It's not a science. If it were we'd all be rich. You just never know what's going to pop anymore.

Also there's no timeless style. I've been doing me since I was 16. Nice shirt. Jeans. Fresh nikes. It ain't changed. I do me and do it well. But alot of young dudes are all about the trends. They're on this Kanye-Coaster of AF1's one minute, then Bape, then Louis Vuitton Don the next, now geekchic in suits and boat shoes. I get that artists have to re-invent themselves, but the consumer is following suit more than ever. It's making artistsrethink themselves at every turn to become successful. Chuck D's style never changed. Nor did KRS 1's. None of that %!%% mattered.

Not a good thing. It's always better to try and do you as best you can. But how long can you do that if you can't survive?

I'm an older dude, who also just happened to have his best year in the music business at a company that did the same. Embracing radio. Doing 5, 6, 700,000downloads on tracks. Ringtones. Right now physical albums are almost icing on the cake. Which is why there is so little investment in artists. But the digitalera helped create that. As did the consumer who decided to consume on Napster instead of buying albums. You made the labels get the money wherever they could.

Say what you want. Every artist in their right mind still wants HOT 97. And you know what, you might not listen to Hot. But you might listen to Enuff,who's still breaking records. The way I used to listen to Red Alert, not KISS.

Is the model changing? Of course. But moreso in how you sell and monetize. I'm not sure that how you promote is completely different. Yes, all the printwent online, and you need to have your new media covered. And even then, there are still mags selling ads. Just not as many. Magazines just happen to be halfthe size they used to.

Radio is still strong. Terrestrial radio might be deteriorating, but that's because of the economy. Reduced ad sales. But I'm not convinced that radioand it's reach has gone online yet.

Kid Cudi is enormous right now because of radio. Yes, that came from the under, but how many artists from the under get to where Kid is right now withoutradio? CBS just flipped several talk stations in key markets to Top 40. A format that is now embracing Cudi. More potential outlets for new music. The beautyof Kid Cudi is that he got there doing him. And not trying to make a radio record persay. The internet is a mainstream medium but it's too cluttered. Radioalmost filters that clutter and makes it easy to digest for the average American.

If you don't WANT to get there, that's cool. I can appreciate that. I'm still a Co Flow fan. They do them very well. But if you do, and you wantthat mainstream success, how are you going to play it?

If you want to sell downloads, ringtones etc. you still need mainstream mediums. If you don't then that's cool. Trust that the love for music nevergoes amidst the business. But then you also need to be realistic about how much you can generate if you're going to shun mainstream mediums.

It can be done. Def Jux is a very profitable label from what I understand. Same with Rhymesayers and other indie operations (which is where I am now, at anindie). Maybe Amalgam is doing their thing.

I wouldn't %!%% on the majors either. They aren't all dying. Didn't Interscope sign Wale, Charles Hamilton, The Knux and Drake?

My view might be skewed, and I'm sure many of you don't agree with me. And maybe I've strayed from the topic, but the music and the business gohand in hand, because no one is trying to do it for free.

If i'm not mistaken Jay made volume 2 on a 300k budget, hell Thriller had a little more than a half million budget,
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

^ Cuz A&R`s aren't the same anymore . A&R`s used to be real industry heads that were actually involved in the culture and music . Nowadays you have some random college grad that doesn't know anything about the music and it`s history, controlling your career . This game has pushed away alot of the trendsetters and basically made it into a crap shoot (hot or not after ONE song) . Grass root movements are gone , college radio is no longer a barometer . The DJ is controlled by big business aswell-you HAVE to saturate the airwaves with the same songs over and over because your programming director and radio station is being fed cash by these labels .

Record diggin is dead
TRUE STORY.
You've also got a gang of dudes in here talking business and music. When the female is the core consumer on a large scale. That is a startling reality as an artist when you need to monetize your music. Hip Hop has clearly moved in that direction.
true...

IllPhil..I know you have experience @ several majors....how does it differ from the indie route? esp on the Marketing and A&R sides?

you're right...this is better discussed in a conference call
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom